Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

Hey! I got my surgery on October 6th and I'm doing fantastic. I'm here if you need any support or suggestions on things to eat or anything like that. I'm now on phase two where I can have cream low fat Soups and a couple other things that I wasn't able to have last week. Let's help support each other on this journey

Sent from my Pixel 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

so i just "ate" for first time since surgery (my plan is 2 week clear liquid, 2 week yogurt/cottage cheese, 2 week soft/puree, then regular)

I had a quarter cup of yogurt and i can feel my tummy gurgling lol its like it is cutting flips in there

2 hours ago, ashleydashley said:

Hey! I got my surgery on October 6th and I'm doing fantastic. I'm here if you need any support or suggestions on things to eat or anything like that. I'm now on phase two where I can have cream low fat Soups and a couple other things that I wasn't able to have last week. Let's help support each other on this journey

Sent from my Pixel 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

I need some suggestions! And was wondering what your phase 2 is for food? Please I’m allowed yogurt , cottage cheese and mash potatoes

I am scheduled for surgery TOMORROW! I am working my last day before I am out and cannot focus. I just happened to stumble on this group. I wish I would have known about it sooner! So my pre-op diet seems to be different than a lot of others. I am on 700-900 cal and 70g Protein per day, no sugar or carbs. I was not put on a clear liquid or even liquid diet. Han anyone else experienced this? I am asking because I have been very strict over the last 10 days and have not lost any weight.

I am nervous about eating once I get home. I ordered some Bone Broth from Amazon but other than that I am not sure what else to plan to eat? I did get Protein Powder and protein Water. Any suggestions on things I need to get in my house to prepare? Or at this point, I should say what should I have my husband pick up while I am in the hospital tomorrow night!?

Thank you for any info you can provide.

1 hour ago, Amie S. said:

I am scheduled for surgery TOMORROW! I am working my last day before I am out and cannot focus. I just happened to stumble on this group. I wish I would have known about it sooner! So my pre-op diet seems to be different than a lot of others. I am on 700-900 cal and 70g Protein per day, no sugar or carbs. I was not put on a clear liquid or even liquid diet. Han anyone else experienced this? I am asking because I have been very strict over the last 10 days and have not lost any weight.

I am nervous about eating once I get home. I ordered some Bone Broth from Amazon but other than that I am not sure what else to plan to eat? I did get Protein Powder and Protein Water. Any suggestions on things I need to get in my house to prepare? Or at this point, I should say what should I have my husband pick up while I am in the hospital tomorrow night!?

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Hi, My surgery is on monday so we will be very close on our journey together :) I will be in the hospital until friday. For me I have made Bone Broth and frozen into cubes for easy heating. I got some collagen protein to add to my Water and Clear Liquids. I also have Jello, sugar free popsicles (otterpops, freezer pop, ice pops-- the ones in the tube). Once I'm allowed all liquids, i will graduate to various broth soups- I have Pho broth cubes, various Cup O Soup packets that I can strain, Miso soup, and a nice clear mushroom soup flavor packet that I can add to the bone broth. I also have clear whey protein in blood orange flavor and a bunch of sample packets of different clear whey protein flavors. Some flavor drops so i can keep things interesting through the period as well.. I will also be adding unflavored whey protein powder to my liquids to make getting my protein in easier once im cleared to do so. Already told my husband to bring me a bottle of water and a sugar-free gatorade when he picks me up- I have a three hour flight from Turkey, and a 1 hour drive from Dusseldorf, Germany to our home in the Netherlands. Probably wont need both, but it will be nice to switch in between the two if possible. I have intentionally not eaten any pumpkin flavored things yet this season so that I will be excited to eat Pumpkin soup when im allowed. :)

Anyone else having to take carafate/sucralfate post op? I have the pills that I am supposed to dissolve in 10 ml of Water. I get sick every time and I'm supposed to take it 4 times a day. O read where some aren't having to do this?

Hey folks! I am new here but just had my surgery on 10/3 and I'm STRUGGLING! I really misunderstood portions because I'm in the stage 2 diet and I know we can incorporate cottage cheese and ricotta. I fucked that one up and I think I've been drinking Soups up to 6oz. It's very frustrating because I've been trying to do everything right. I have the food scale, a cup I use to measure liquids (its a glass thats used for measuring espresso, up to 4oz). Is anyone having trouble figuring out portions? I think I'm just so anxious about it I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I've gone back to Protein Shakes. I'm afraid of moving on to solids.

I have also had the most difficult time figuring out when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I had pretty intense mental hunger which made me incredibly miserable. My stomach hurts from a drop. This sucks.... feeling discouraged.

The scale is very confusing right now. I'm at day 12 and I was 299 and now I'm anywhere from 288-290 because it fluctuates so much. I think I've done it all wrong and want to just hide under my sheets!

2 hours ago, Heathernyc said:

Hey folks! I am new here but just had my surgery on 10/3 and I'm STRUGGLING! I really misunderstood portions because I'm in the stage 2 diet and I know we can incorporate cottage cheese and ricotta. I fucked that one up and I think I've been drinking Soups up to 6oz. It's very frustrating because I've been trying to do everything right. I have the food scale, a cup I use to measure liquids (its a glass thats used for measuring espresso, up to 4oz). Is anyone having trouble figuring out portions? I think I'm just so anxious about it I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I've gone back to Protein Shakes. I'm afraid of moving on to solids.

I have also had the most difficult time figuring out when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I had pretty intense mental hunger which made me incredibly miserable. My stomach hurts from a drop. This sucks.... feeling discouraged.

The scale is very confusing right now. I'm at day 12 and I was 299 and now I'm anywhere from 288-290 because it fluctuates so much. I think I've done it all wrong and want to just hide under my sheets!

Don't feel discouraged. You're doing just fine. Fluctuating 2-even 5 lbs a day is normal at any weight. This has to do with Water weight, food etc. It's best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before food or drink and most importantly only ONCE per week.

You're still healing. This was a big surgery.

But most of all, Youre on track! Have you ever lost 8 to 10 lbs in one week before this? be proud!

If you obsess over the scale it will mess with your head.

Do not compare any if your progress to other people, our journeys are different right down to our surgeon guidelines and food phases.

For portion sizes, your body will tell you if youre pushing yourself too much.

Start small and work your way up. Less is more right now, Protein Shakes are incredibly important to not lose muscle mass.

7 hours ago, Heathernyc said:

Hi, I am new too. My ESG was on 10/7. But I was told NOT to weigh myself daily. It’s once a week, at a designated time / day, no cheating, no peeking at the presents before Christmas morning. :) It’s driving me batty from curiosity, but I am trying to comply because I understand the reasoning. So I am measuring my waist and upper arms obsessively instead, but it’s not the same.

Also, 9-11 lbs in 12 days, heck yeah!!! Good job.

16 hours ago, Afrankrn said:

Anyone else having to take carafate/sucralfate post op? I have the pills that I am supposed to dissolve in 10 ml of Water. I get sick every time and I'm supposed to take it 4 times a day. O read where some aren't having to do this?

I have to take a different one to reduce stomach acid, Omeprazole. If you can’t keep it down, you should ask your team for a different RX (or ask if maybe you don’t dissolve it before swallowing?) because this drug is important for healing our stomachs after the procedure.

I had the same problem with those Zofran under the tongue pills (!). It was the taste of it — I associate it now with nausea and will never be able to take it again without gagging. Ugh!

1 hour ago, Jan69 said:

Had Endoscopy done yesterday all good & ready for procedure 7:30 am Wednesday morning.

Yay! My last hurdle is today. I have to go get a Covid test. That's the final step, then surgery on Tuesday! :)

9 hours ago, Heathernyc said:

You're doing great! I've heard to stay off the scale for at least 5 weeks. Your body is freaking out right now and trying to find stability. Your weight is going to be going crazy.

I've heard that hunger often continues until you're on solid foods. Once you start solids, you'll start feeling restriction.

This video might help with the portion sizes.

14 minutes ago, Jeanniebug said:

You're doing great! I've heard to stay off the scale for at least 5 weeks. Your body is freaking out right now and trying to find stability. Your weight is going to be going crazy.

I've heard that hunger often continues until you're on solid foods. Once you start solids, you'll start feeling restriction.

This video might help with the portion sizes.

Thank you! This video was so helpful!!! I had so much information from my doctor that it just overwhelmed me and just seeing this clarified some things!

12 minutes ago, Heathernyc said:

Thank you! This video was so helpful!!! I had so much information from my doctor that it just overwhelmed me and just seeing this clarified some things!

I'm glad I could help. :)