Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

21 minutes ago, Julia82 said:

The nurses were super cool about it, put these stretchy disposable panties on me with a pad, she said they would cut them off in the or, not sure if they did or not cause I woke back up with some on so they either left it or put new ones on me. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just glad the first nurse was female, not sure if I would have been so comfortable telling a male nurse but honestly I was way more worried about it than I should have been, so if yours does show up just in time for surgery don't freak out about it like I did. I also have period underwear, I don't use pads or tampons so brought about 6 pairs of those in my bag and after the first night when I was up and moving more I used those since the one size fits most stretchy hospital ones and the big bulky pads that barely stuck to anything, like more of it came off with the paper. I didn't have to worry about leaks, I had to pee sooooo often and would change the huge non sticky pads every time. They had me on fluids so I was peeing more than I ever have in my entire life lol

Thank you for the update and I hope you're recovering well! It's really helpful for what to expect because I did indeed get my period yesterday, just in time for Tuesday 🥲 Good idea on the period underwear, I'll definitely add them to my hospital bag. My biggest qualm at the moment is only being allowed to take Tylenol for the cramps- sadly it does nothing for me compared to Advil. Having to come to terms with having period pain forever is harder for me than giving up carbs 😅

Day 4 post op. Feeling better every day. Kept my binder off after my morning shower and so far, it doesn't feel too bad. I have my 1st surgeon appointment tomorrow post op. The only thing is that I do have a little swelling in my feet and have gained a few pounds since surgery. I know the weight is Fluid but don't know how long this usually last. Has this happened to anyone else?

The nurses were super cool about it, put these stretchy disposable panties on me with a pad, she said they would cut them off in the or, not sure if they did or not cause I woke back up with some on so they either left it or put new ones on me. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just glad the first nurse was female, not sure if I would have been so comfortable telling a male nurse but honestly I was way more worried about it than I should have been, so if yours does show up just in time for surgery don't freak out about it like I did. I also have period underwear, I don't use pads or tampons so brought about 6 pairs of those in my bag and after the first night when I was up and moving more I used those since the one size fits most stretchy hospital ones and the big bulky pads that barely stuck to anything, like more of it came off with the paper. I didn't have to worry about leaks, I had to pee sooooo often and would change the huge non sticky pads every time. They had me on fluids so I was peeing more than I ever have in my entire life lol
Mine is supposed to come soon too. Surgery is Tuesday for me. For some reason I think the blood thinners will make my period come sooner. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad for you but I get really bad cramps so worrying about the pain compounded with that.

Scared but excited.

Hi Everyone! I’m scheduled to be sleeved with hiatal hernia repair. Nervous, but excited. Anyone else have both?

I just had both done 10/5. I'm doing great. Gas pressure is gone and pain is minimal. Haven't had any pain meds since day 2

1 hour ago, raspberrylime said:

Thank you for the update and I hope you're recovering well! It's really helpful for what to expect because I did indeed get my period yesterday, just in time for Tuesday 🥲 Good idea on the period underwear, I'll definitely add them to my hospital bag. My biggest qualm at the moment is only being allowed to take Tylenol for the cramps- sadly it does nothing for me compared to Advil. Having to come to terms with having period pain forever is harder for me than giving up carbs 😅

I was worried about the cramps too and also never use Tylenol since it hadn't worked in the past and ibuprofen always works but I did try liquid Tylenol and it honestly did help more than I expected. It's worth a try, better than nothing else.

3 hours ago, Pamela90 said:

Hi Everyone! I’m scheduled to be sleeved with hiatal hernia repair. Nervous, but excited. Anyone else have both?

I wanted them to repair my hernia when they did my sleeve but they told me to wait till after I lose some weight then he will go back in and fix the hernia

Tomorrow is my surgery day and I am only allowed Clear Liquids today. I haven't really felt hunger during the liquid diet until today. Doesn't matter how many sugar free popsicles I eat, bottles of Water I drink, or cups of broth I sip. I never thought I'd crave a Protein Drink but here I am wishing I could drink a chocolate fairlife 😅 Trying to stay positive and keep my hands and mind busy. Journaling to remind myself why I'm doing this in the first place. Good luck to everyone who is also scheduled for tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow!!

On 10/9/2022 at 3:13 PM, Vicky Sue said:

I just had both done 10/5. I'm doing great. Gas pressure is gone and pain is minimal. Haven't had any pain meds since day 2

How is your diet going what does you surgeon have you doing?

6 minutes ago, Diamond54 said:

How is your diet going what does you surgeon have you doing?

I'm still on the liquid diet. Saw my surgeon today. He's pleased with my progress but no pureed food till the 19th. Besides the shakes, Jello, broth and Popsicles, I also have Protein 20 Water and Gatorade with protein.

1 hour ago, raspberrylime said:

Tomorrow is my surgery day and I am only allowed Clear Liquids today. I haven't really felt hunger during the liquid diet until today. Doesn't matter how many sugar free popsicles I eat, bottles of Water I drink, or cups of broth I sip. I never thought I'd crave a Protein Drink but here I am wishing I could drink a chocolate fairlife 😅 Trying to stay positive and keep my hands and mind busy. Journaling to remind myself why I'm doing this in the first place. Good luck to everyone who is also scheduled for tomorrow!

Wishing you all the best & speedy recovery will be thinking of you, I started my pre op diet today Surgery Oct 19th.

6 hours ago, raspberrylime said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Please come back and update us. :) I'll be in your position in 7 days.

6 hours ago, Diamond54 said:

I had my surgery October 5th. I’m tired hungry and very weak all the time. I’ve been doing Protein Shakes and other liquids is there anything that I can do or is anyone else’s post op diet different from mine?

How much are you drinking? Dehydration is easy in the beginning. Make sure you're drinking everything you're supposed to. Some tiredness and weakness is to be expected. You're not consuming very many calories. As long as you're staying properly hydrated, this will pass.

I'm still pre-surg, but I will be on full liquids for 2 weeks after my surgery. So, I'll be where you are, in 8 days.