Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Such a weird question, but I’m super bothered by this! I’m 6 weeks post op RNY. From immediately after surgery I have one armpit especially, sometimes both with horrible body odor!! I had switched off heavy deodorant probably 5 or so years ago and only use natural. I could do CrossFit and no worries. Now I can’t even sleep through the night without waking up smelling like I’ve ran a marathon! What’s the deal??? Anyone else with this? Is it anesthesia, burning fat off or what? I want it to go away and be not smelly like before…but I’ll take the lost pounds and just reapply for every few hours if I have to lol

I have heard of people saying they were in ketosis and had a body odor. Could be that??

Yep, I bet it’s ketosis. Bad breath & other body odours (even from the genitals & your pee 😱) is a very common side effect. Some say it causes an acetone like smell. To me it was just embarrassing. I had a toiletry bag at work with deodorant, body wipes, mouthwash & tooth paste & brush so I could freshen up during the day. It does eventually go (can’t recall how long it took me though).

Good ole ketosis!

I didn't get body odor but my breath was horrible no matter what I did. It passes.

Yeah, I remember i was pretty stinky (or at least stinkier than normal, lol) for a few weeks in the beginning. If i recall correctly, it came about sometime in the first month, and went away sometime in the third (not 100% sure on that though, its been over 3.5 yrs).

The good news though is that it DID go away AND never came back!!

Pre-op i wore deodorant every day cuz i was a sweater. After the weight loss my pits are bone dry and no longer stink, yay. I hardly ever use deodorant now.

Goof Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

You can try Lume. It’s supposed to be for those that have a bad odor that usually can’t take care of the problem with other stuff. Doubt it works on those with a medical issue where they stink no matter what, but it might help in your case.