Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meal preppers - looking for some advice/suggestions

Looking for some advice/suggestions, I'm getting a little bored with the same old stuff I've been eating and want to change it up a bit.

I see people talking all the time about meal prepping so they only have to prepare one big meal on Sunday and then they are able to save the rest to eat throughout the week. I'd love to do that so I'm not tempted to eat out or do something unhealthy when I don't have time or energy to make a meal.

But I've never done anything like that before ever, I always prepare the meal right before I eat it. Sometimes I'll have leftovers that I'll heat up the next day, but I really would like to be able to prep for the week in advance.

I have a slow cooker and an electric pressure cooker so I could use either of those to prepare.

Does anyone have any recipes for your meal prep for the week? And please let me know what you do with your portions, ie: freeze/refrigerate, I'm starting from scratch here.

Thanks!

Looking for some advice/suggestions, I'm getting a little bored with the same old stuff I've been eating and want to change it up a bit.

I see people talking all the time about meal prepping so they only have to prepare one big meal on Sunday and then they are able to save the rest to eat throughout the week. I'd love to do that so I'm not tempted to eat out or do something unhealthy when I don't have time or energy to make a meal.

But I've never done anything like that before ever, I always prepare the meal right before I eat it. Sometimes I'll have leftovers that I'll heat up the next day, but I really would like to be able to prep for the week in advance.

I have a slow cooker and an electric pressure cooker so I could use either of those to prepare.

Does anyone have any recipes for your meal prep for the week? And please let me know what you do with your portions, ie: freeze/refrigerate, I'm starting from scratch here.

Thanks!

It’s not really meal prepping in my mind since I can only eat the meat, but I made a little less than a pound of lean ground beef with a taco seasoning packet and I’ve been eating that for the week with fat free shredded cheese. If you are farther out you could do a wrap, taco, veggies, sour cream, etc.

Also you might like the muffin tin recipes on Pinterest. You can search bariatric muffin tin recipes and a lot will come up. A lot are made with wonton wrappers and the “guts” can be Italian, Mexican, Breakfast, etc. I like taco cups, meatloaf cups, and lasagna cups best

I have been meal prepping off and on for years. The possibilities are endless, really.

It is actually harder for me now because sometimes reheated meat gets to me. Especially pork. I can eat it with no problem fresh but reheated, I can usually only eat like 2 bites. I even make sure to add some of the sauce/juice in the container to keep it moist. I don't really know what it is.

I also get tired of the same thing quicker now, so when I do prep I usually do 2/3 days at a time and then switch it up. Doing it this way, it is usually whatever I make for dinner mid week I just make enough extra for a few lunches.

You can have an extravagant meal, all the way down to (what I call) an adult lunchable. They are actually one of my favorite meal preps because (again) the possibilities are endless. Meat, cheese, veggie, sometimes I even have a few crackers. (YES, crackers. They are allowed in my plan)

You can google tons of ideas. Simple, or involved.

Slow cooker: chicken with salsa, pair with a tortilla

Chicken with fajita seasoning, add peppers and onions for the last hour or so. Eat just like that or with rice or a tortilla.

Steak/beef with broccoli.

Quick skillet: Ground turkey with taco seasoning, paired with refried Beans

Chicken with veggies and melted cheese

Turkey burgers, I love mine without a bun topped with feta cheese and hots.

No cooking: Adult lunchables, as mentioned above

tuna or chicken salad with veggies or crackers (my go to is cucumbers)

lunch meat and cheese roll ups or wraps

Fresh salad with just about any meat you prefer

These are just a few ideas that popped in my head.

Good luck!

Edited by kcuster83

I don’t really meal prep but I will make extras of the Protein when cooking. Especially chicken which later becomes salad or pizza toppings or tacos, etc. same thing with steak which can become fajitas or a great salad. I suppose meal preppers would take this further, make even more and freeze some for a rainy day. Also, if you just don’t like to cook which I don’t really you can get rotisserie chicken from the grocery and throw together many simple meals from that. I am super picky and don’t eat a big variety but I will make it into chicken salad, chicken tacos, chicken fajitas, stuffed peppers, white pizza (cauliflower crust) and of course you can have just chicken with a veggie of your choice. You can even buy it at Walmart deli now already pulled off the bones. How cool is that.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Okay I swear I just replied to this but maybe I posted to the wrong thread?? Anyways. It’s not really meal prepping but what helps me is to make extra Protein when I do cook. Leftover chicken from kabobs for instance can become tacos, salad topping or pizza (cauliflower crust) the next day. Same thing with leftover steak kabobs which can become fajitas or salad toppings. I prep the kabobs and my husband grills them, then I use the leftovers to make lunch or dinner for a few days. Ooh another tip I learned with the frozen cauliflower crust (that you can do with any frozen pizza really) is when you get home from the store and it’s thawed out anyways, cut it up into slices and then refreeze it. Later you can grab out a slice at a time and pop it in the oven. Just put a cookie sheet below it if you bake it directly on the rack because sometimes toppings will fall through. Also, if you use the leftover chicken as a topping add this after you cook it so it doesn’t dry out any more.

26 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Okay I swear I just replied to this but maybe I posted to the wrong thread?? Anyways. It’s not really meal prepping but what helps me is to make extra Protein when I do cook. Leftover chicken from kabobs for instance can become tacos, salad topping or pizza (cauliflower crust) the next day. Same thing with leftover steak kabobs which can become fajitas or salad toppings. I prep the kabobs and my husband grills them, then I use the leftovers to make lunch or dinner for a few days. Ooh another tip I learned with the frozen cauliflower crust (that you can do with any frozen pizza really) is when you get home from the store and it’s thawed out anyways, cut it up into slices and then refreeze it. Later you can grab out a slice at a time and pop it in the oven. Just put a cookie sheet below it if you bake it directly on the rack because sometimes toppings will fall through. Also, if you use the leftover chicken as a topping add this after you cook it so it doesn’t dry out any more.

It got me messed up for a minute too. It's not us though, they posted 2 of the same threads!

1 minute ago, kcuster83 said:

It got me messed up for a minute too. It's not us though, they posted 2 of the same threads!

Ooh okay. Lol

I take a different approach to meal prep than what you describe. Instead of cooking one meal and eating the same thing all week, I've built up a collection of meals frozen in individual portions. Soup, chili, and stew freeze really well. I also make various meals that consist of meat, vegetables, Beans, and sauce (there are lots of Instant Pot recipes like this) to freeze in individual portions. Most recipes yield 10+ portions, so I can cook three times and have a month's worth of dinners.

I highly recommend Souper Cubes, which are like giant ice cube trays. They're available in several sizes, and the 4-ounce size is perfect for a single serving. The portions stack easily, so you can store many portions in a small space (much more compact than tupperware containers).

For a quick and easy meal, I dump some riced cauliflower in a bowl, throw in a souper cube, and heat in the microwave. Sometimes I also have a side salad or a side of veggies. I have enough different meals that I can eat a different one every night of the week. Here are a few of my favorites:

1 hour ago, BigSue said:

I take a different approach to meal prep than what you describe. Instead of cooking one meal and eating the same thing all week, I've built up a collection of meals frozen in individual portions. Soup, chili, and stew freeze really well. I also make various meals that consist of meat, vegetables, Beans, and sauce (there are lots of Instant Pot recipes like this) to freeze in individual portions. Most recipes yield 10+ portions, so I can cook three times and have a month's worth of dinners.

I highly recommend Souper Cubes, which are like giant ice cube trays. They're available in several sizes, and the 4-ounce size is perfect for a single serving. The portions stack easily, so you can store many portions in a small space (much more compact than tupperware containers).

For a quick and easy meal, I dump some riced cauliflower in a bowl, throw in a souper cube, and heat in the microwave. Sometimes I also have a side salad or a side of veggies. I have enough different meals that I can eat a different one every night of the week. Here are a few of my favorites:

Ooh I have those supper cubes to freeze my chili and I love them. You can fit several cubes in a ziplock bag and it’s perfectly shaped to fit in the freezer.

I’m a left over freezer not so much planned food prepper but the idea is similar. Most things I cook is three or four days worth (or longer) & I simply freeze two or three single serves. I freeze just about everything. Leftover vegetables, Soup, meat sauces, meat balls, steak, lamb cutlets, pork tenderloin, chicken tenders, corned beef, etc. Just defrost & reheat. All I usually have to prep is vegetables & I can do that in a couple of minutes.

I use a lot of zip lock bags but others use specific food containers.

Have a look at the Food before & after thread, @Starwarsandcupcakes is an avid meal prepper plus there’s other general meal ideas too for home & eating out.

I second the Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

If your grocery store has a seafood counter and will cook your seafood for free, baked salmon with a salt-free seasoning is terrific. Can be purchased over the weekend and divided for the week. Add some microwaveable steamed veggies.

Baby food containers are perfect for our portion sizes. You can buy them online (they are made for people who want to make and store their own baby food).

On 7/6/2022 at 1:11 AM, Arabesque said:

Have a look at the food before & after thread, @Starwarsandcupcakes is an avid meal prepper plus there’s other general meal ideas too for home & eating out.

I do love me some meal prep! Things I’ve learned-

individual Greek yogurts while more expensive are easier for “no spoon” days. I usually add homemade granola or a 100 calorie pack of nuts and fruit for a quick Protein packed meal.

cooking a protein bland for the first cook makes customized meals easier later. A beef roast in beef broth can later be made into shredded beef for tacos, BBQ beef, or korean beef bowls.

I love soup! I’ll usually make a batch on my meal prep days and either put it in the fridge or freeze it.

Scrambled eggs (so they’re still glossy and not rubbery- most people overcook scrambled eggs) are great to put into meal prep containers with a couple sausage links or patties and microwaved later in the week.

Hard boiled eggs are another great option. Just peel and store in the fridge for up to a week. They’re good as egg salad or on salads.

Use a lettuce knife- it’s a special knife made of nylon with serrated edges that cuts lettuce so it doesn’t oxidize. This keeps lettuce longer over the week after you prep it so it doesn’t get brown and yucky.

I make several meals in one day, freeze in large ice cube trays overnight. Turkey chili, Jenni taco flavored ground turkey scrambled browned 1/3 cup topped with guacamole. Italian flavored ground turkey with marinara topped with chickpea spaghetti. Cauliflower thins topped with pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni in oven 15 minutes 425. Top with mozzarella and broil. Freeze each separately.

I do love me some meal prep! Things I’ve learned-
individual Greek yogurts while more expensive are easier for “no spoon” days. I usually add homemade granola or a 100 calorie pack of nuts and fruit for a quick Protein packed meal.
cooking a protein bland for the first cook makes customized meals easier later. A beef roast in beef broth can later be made into shredded beef for tacos, BBQ beef, or korean beef bowls.
I love soup! I’ll usually make a batch on my meal prep days and either put it in the fridge or freeze it.
Scrambled eggs (so they’re still glossy and not rubbery- most people overcook scrambled eggs) are great to put into meal prep containers with a couple sausage links or patties and microwaved later in the week.
Hard boiled eggs are another great option. Just peel and store in the fridge for up to a week. They’re good as egg salad or on salads.
Use a lettuce knife- it’s a special knife made of nylon with serrated edges that cuts lettuce so it doesn’t oxidize. This keeps lettuce longer over the week after you prep it so it doesn’t get brown and yucky.
What are "no spoon" days?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using BariatricPal mobile app