Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre & Post Surgery Must Haves

Apologies if this has been asked before, but now that you are post op, what things do you feel were must haves to have available before and after surgery?

I am several months out, but putting together a list so I am as prepared as I can be.

Thanks!

I packed a box of all my post surgical needs so when I got home from hospital I had all I needed & wouldn’t have to leave the house to go shopping. Just off the top of my head:

Over the counter meds: non NSAID pain meds like tylenol, gas x, stool softener, Imodium.

A variety of shakes, broths, Soups, yoghurt drinks, etc. Protein Water & any other allowed ‘foods’. Post surgery, your taste buds can go a bit haywire temporarily & flavours you liked before may taste awful. So that shake you enjoyed may be disgusting: too sweet, too salty or just blah!

Electrolyte drinks like Hydralyte.

Some are given their post surgical med scripts before surgery. If so get those scripts filled before your surgery too.

All the best.

Arabesque said all I can think of. I will just reiterate that you shouldn’t stock up too much on anything that someone else in your house won’t use, especially shakes because tastes change (especially for sweet things).

Agree with above!

Also pill cutter in case you have trouble swallowing larger pills, pad of paper to keep a food and drink journal (in case of issues, this can help your health care providers), Water bottle with measurements (like oz.), heating pad, timer (cell phone excellent for this).

Kitchen items that I found necessary were a Water bottle with measurements, measuring cups and a food scale.< br>
I echo the water bottle (with oz markers & time markers are helpful on a 24-32 oz bottle), the food scale, measuring cups AND would ADD to make sure you have a really good colander/strainer to strain all of your Soups for the first two weeks of your post op diet!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 7/4/2022 at 7:46 AM, GreenTealael said:

Kitchen items that I found necessary were a Water bottle with measurements, measuring cups and a food scale.

The hospital gave me a nifty cup with measurements, but unfortunately Water doesn’t stay cold in it for long because it’s not stainless steel. I’ll have to buy a new one.