Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15+ Years with the band - Sleeve revision scheduled - What do I need to know?

Hi All -

I'm sure this has been asked and answered - but here goes:

I was banded in January of 2007 and had pretty good success with it. I lost 140lb - and maintained my weight at around 230-240lbs (I'm 6'2") for many years but after COVID lockdowns my weight started to creep back up to around 260lbs and I developed night coughs/reflux. I went to my surgeon a couple of months ago and he unfilled me which cured the reflux, but I immediately gained 10 lbs. He also did an endoscopy to make sure nothing was wrong. During the endoscopy he discovered I had a hiatal hernia and minor slippage with no erosion but he recommended that I consider removing the band and revision to a gastric sleeve (which I've agreed to do in order to be proactive and avoid any emergency complications if I do develop any erosion or other issues in the future).

So my question is - what do I need to know about the differences between the two? I'd managed the band pretty well - occasionally dealing with PB's, sliming, and other fun - inconvenient but nothing I couldn't handle. I've read a couple of comments talking about foaming (or something)? Just want to make sure I'm going into this with my eyes wide open.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints!

Foamies is more of a gastric bypass thing. I had sleeve 2 months ago. idk what restrictions you have on the band. but for us mainly small meal sizes... Protein is first and most important, waiting 30+ minutes after eating to drink anything. taking the Multivitamins, Calcium for life, and the possibility of developing severe GERD and needing a revision to bypass is a big thing and something i worry about. If you have GERD or heartburn then bypass will be what you need to get.

Foamies are just like the slimes with the lapband. I went from lapband (complication: slip) to sleeve (complication: severe gerd) to RNY. I never got them with the sleeve. I did get them in the beginning months after the RNY.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the band for years and the sleeve for like 6-7 years. For me, the sleeve was heaven as far as being able to eat without pain but it was far less restriction.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

A lot of sleevers have episodes of the foamies. It usually occurs if you eat too fast or too much or something that is too dry/coarse. Dumping is less common with sleeves than bypass. (Dumping occurs if you eat too much sugar or fat.) Both side effects can be managed simply by being careful about how & what you eat. I’m three years out & I had a bout two days ago. I ate too quickly because I wasn’t eating mindfully (I was having a ‘discussion’ with my mother 😉) & cough, spit & up came that last bite.

I know you said your reflux developed as a complication with your band & once it was removed the gerd stopped, but I’m wondering if this may make you more likely to develop gerd post sleeve. I don’t know but it may be worth asking your surgeon if bypass might be a better option. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm 9.5 months out from sleeve and I haven't ever had the foamies that I know of. I do sometimes throw up from the Multivitamin, but it's better if I eat a snack right before I take it or eat a large, late dinner.

Hi Willy, congrats on your decision to do a revision. On March 21 I had my band removed, my hiatal hernia repaired and revision to bypass. I had been having bad reflux too and had my band unfilled and promptly packed on 40 lb. I went with bypass because my surgeon said that reflux is common with the sleeve but less common with bypass. I’m down 58 lb since starting the liquid diet March 7 and feel great, no reflux at all. Not trying to talk you into anything but you might want to think about why you’re choosing sleeve instead of bypass. I wish you great success either way.