Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a good coffee that’s ok post VSG. Thanks

coffee was a big deal for me after surgery too. Once you're allowed to have coffee in your plan again, then you should be ok with whatever you prefer to drink, but just take it slowly. Your post-op tummy might be more sensitive to caffeine. That was the case with me, but of course everyone is different. My plan didn't allow me to have caffeine until 4 months post-op per my surgeon's instructions. I think that's what I missed the most after surgery. Forget food, I wanted caffeine lol. Thankfully, I was able to have Decaf during that time. That allowed me to at least have that comfort of a nice warm cup of coffee. But, once I could have regular coffee again, I started slowly with the ones I used to drink to see how my new tummy could handle it. For example, Starbucks coffee is rough on my tummy now, so I can't drink that as often as I used to, but homemade Folgers brand seems to go down smoothly. So I just recommend taking it slowly, and trying out different ones you like. I stick to just black coffee that I add my own almond milk Creamer to. I measure out the creamer too so I don't accidentally overload it with excess calories. From one coffee lover to another, enjoy that next cup! 😊

Thank you

I am 2 months post op. and i drink 2-3 cups a day of my favorite which is Tim Hortons. (I work overnights) No issues whatsoever. I use Truvia for the sweetener and sugar free creamer.

81ms6TpLMEL._SL1500_.jpg

Dunkin Donuts regular. Just one cup a day in the morning with non-dairy creamer.

my pouch (I'm a bypass patient) doesn't tolerate really acidic coffees, so I try to find some that aren't all that acidic. And some aren't. I usually get coffee at Aldi's (it's not labeled as "low acid", but still, it doesn't bother my stomach). Just experiment with a few brands/types and see what your stomach will tolerate.

I have not had any issues with drinking large amounts of coffee since surgery. I actually drink more than I did before surgery because plain Water doesn't taste good anymore and carbonation is not as appealing (I can drink it, but slowly). So, I drink a lot of iced coffee with milk and splenda. The milk gives me extra Protein and Calcium.

I haven't had any issues with it upsetting my stomach, but that might be because it has lots of milk in it. I would stay I drink about the equivalent of 2-6 cups a day (the iced coffees are VERY BIG).

I didn't have any caffeine for the first month after surgery, per the surgery center's recommendation.

As long as your allowed caffeine it should be just a matter of taste. Unless your pouch is extra fussy and doesn’t like some coffees. I like iced coffee as an afternoon pick me up which I’m sure is a little easier on the pouch than straight coffee. I drink it with Splenda and almond milk. I don’t milk except for coffee and love that almond milk has a much longer shelf life. I just tried truvia yesterday and it didn’t dissolve? I think the trick may be to dissolve it in the hot coffee before putting over ice because I have heard of plenty people using it in coffee.