Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I messed up 2 weeks postoperative 20 pounds down and dropping

I drank a few sips of ice tea and vodka and now I feel like there a lump in my throat and my stomach hurts! I REGRET THIS Surgery so much... why did I do this I wasn't huge the scale said that but I had a flat stomach big legs, no HBP, no Diabetes, just IBD, AND GERD! WHY I have no identity now. Eating out, at home, drinking gave me so much pleasure. I feel so stupid.

I can't even eat more than 2 bites, I don't want this anymore. I even quit my job.

I hate it here! My throat hurts so weird

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok breathe. You slipped but you also now know why there is a staged return to eating - to protect & support your healing tummy.

What you are experiencing is grief & regret. This isn’t uncommon. You’ve been through a pretty major surgery, your hormones have gone haywire, you’ve had to make massive changes to how & what you ate & you can’t have food or alcohol which previously comforted you & gave you pleasure.

This will pass. Before you know it you will be eating solid food again, eating more & eventually you will enjoy a drink again. Yes, your tummy may struggle with certain foods to begin but this improves too. You are really learning how & what to eat all over again & learning what your body needs you to eat. You’ll be trying new foods, new recipes, etc. too.

I still enjoy food & I still eat out (went to a French restaurant last night). I’m just more careful with my food choices & portions usually without issue. I still drink (had a cocktail & a small glass of Grenache) but not as frequently - drink quality not quantity now. I look at food & alcohol differently. That old adage of eating to live not living to eat is true.

I didn’t have any comorbidities either but I knew that if I continued as I was or put on more weight it would be a different story. I was obese & I didn’t want to be. I’m a clothing person & I couldn’t wear the designers I loved anymore. Though not physically limited in any way, my stamina was poor & some things needed more & more effort to do. My weight came on suddenly. I always bounced around but ten years before my surgery I was 59kgs. Six years later I was 91 (damn hormones & menopause). Best decision I made. Remember the reasons you had to have the surgery.

You may find it helpful to meet with a therapist (your team should be able to recommend someone). Many find therapy extremely helpful.

6 hours ago, ScaredButReady2.0 said:

I drank a few sips of ice tea and vodka and now I feel like there a lump in my throat and my stomach hurts! I REGRET THIS Surgery so much... why did I do this I wasn't huge the scale said that but I had a flat stomach big legs, no HBP, no Diabetes, just IBD, AND GERD! WHY I have no identity now. Eating out, at home, drinking gave me so much pleasure. I feel so stupid.

I can't even eat more than 2 bites, I don't want this anymore. I even quit my job.

Omg you sound exactly like I did, DID being the important word here. You are going through a grieving process and denial in one of the stages. Don't drink any more alcohol until later down the track. How soon after eating did you drink ? Maybe you didn't wait long enough. Sorry to hear you quit your job was that because of how you are feeling now? I would get some counselling asap it's not an Instant fix but it will help. What you are going through is very normal for some of us and believe it or not it gets better much better. Once it starts to get better it gets better very quickly and you wish the heavy restriction stage lasted a bit longer. Hang in there ❤

7 hours ago, ScaredButReady2.0 said:

My throat hurts so weird

Are you on a PPI, or any other meds for acid reflux? Painful or burning throat is a symptom of this. (Also, the vodka *may* have contributed as well…it’s advised to stay away from alcohol to reduce presence or worsening or development of GERD)

Are you on a PPI, or any other meds for acid reflux? Painful or burning throat is a symptom of this. (Also, the vodka *may* have contributed as well…it’s advised to stay away from alcohol to reduce presence or worsening or development of GERD)
I'm on omeparzole... that probably exactly what happened woke up feeling a little better thank you.

Omg you sound exactly like I did, DID being the important word here. You are going through a grieving process and denial in one of the stages. Don't drink any more alcohol until later down the track. How soon after eating did you drink ? Maybe you didn't wait long enough. Sorry to hear you quit your job was that because of how you are feeling now? I would get some counselling asap it's not an Instant fix but it will help. What you are going through is very normal for some of us and believe it or not it gets better much better. Once it starts to get better it gets better very quickly and you wish the heavy restriction stage lasted a bit longer. Hang in there [emoji173]
Thank you it helps to know I'm not nutz... I have insurance still but finding a therapist been hard. No one is immediately available and I am hang such an issue with instant gratification if I can't get what I want or need instantly I give up! I do need therapy for sure.

Ok breathe. You slipped but you also now know why there is a staged return to eating - to protect & support your healing tummy.
What you are experiencing is grief & regret. This isn’t uncommon. You’ve been through a pretty major surgery, your hormones have gone haywire, you’ve had to make massive changes to how & what you ate & you can’t have food or alcohol which previously comforted you & gave you pleasure.
This will pass. Before you know it you will be eating solid food again, eating more & eventually you will enjoy a drink again. Yes, your tummy may struggle with certain foods to begin but this improves too. You are really learning how & what to eat all over again & learning what your body needs you to eat. You’ll be trying new foods, new recipes, etc. too.
I still enjoy food & I still eat out (went to a French restaurant last night). I’m just more careful with my food choices & portions usually without issue. I still drink (had a cocktail & a small glass of Grenache) but not as frequently - drink quality not quantity now. I look at food & alcohol differently. That old adage of eating to live not living to eat is true.
I didn’t have any comorbidities either but I knew that if I continued as I was or put on more weight it would be a different story. I was obese & I didn’t want to be. I’m a clothing person & I couldn’t wear the designers I loved anymore. Though not physically limited in any way, my stamina was poor & some things needed more & more effort to do. My weight came on suddenly. I always bounced around but ten years before my surgery I was 59kgs. Six years later I was 91 (damn hormones & menopause). Best decision I made. Remember the reasons you had to have the surgery.
You may find it helpful to meet with a therapist (your team should be able to recommend someone). Many find therapy extremely helpful.
I appreciate your detail and it does help alot so thank you. I'll do my very best to make a therapy appointment. I feel like I'm losing my mind. And this life I have is no longer recognizable and it all I had. I've struggled my entire life with not being good enough and people pleasing. I decided to make a change with that and now with this too much... I didn't actually like my entire life before, so I welcome positive change, this doesn't seem positive it just seems like another very very hard thing. I'm tired of having to go through these very very hard things for happiness I call it SUFFER LOVE!

16 hours ago, ScaredButReady2.0 said:

Looking at your title of the post, did you say you're 2 weeks post op??? If so, that may be a big part of your issue. In no way is your stomach healed enough to tolerate alcohol. That comes much later. At this stage you're either still on an all liquid diet (like I was) or you're on mushy foods. At 6 weeks, you'll be able to eat small amounts of normal food, and maybe at that point you can try alcohol or whatever. But at 2 weeks out, no way no how.

Maybe ring your surgeon and tell them you are struggling quite a bit and maybe they can pull some strings with the teams therapist to get you in sooner. Maybe not but it’s worth a shot. And even if the appointment is a ways away make it. You may feel better by then and cancel but you may not and will be glad you have it.