Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting closer… timeline question

Yesterday I had the last of my appointments, tests and virtual check-ins (or so I thought). I got a call after my last appointment - expecting it to be a scheduler to set up a time to meet with the surgeon. Instead, it was a question about my cardiac clearance - “did they do an echo while I was there?” (they didn’t). They said I would need one - sorry it got missed (irritated it’s another copay 🙄) … hoping they could get me in before my new insurance year (July 1st) but grateful they got me in on July 1st. At least it is not a long wait.

I’m worried that’s going to push out my meeting with the surgeon… and back things up a little. I know I will have a 8 day pre-surgical liquid diet to do prior to my surgery…. but my question is - how long after your last meeting with the surgeon was your surgery scheduled for?

My husband is a teacher and I’m hoping to have the surgery before he goes back so he can be around that first week or two at least.

As June turns into July… (he goes back mid August for in-service) I worry that might not be possible. I’m not worried about the insurance part, I’m confident that is already good. I’m not worried about the echo (I have no cardiac issues… it’s just the programs requirement). So it’s really just the surgeons availability that’s the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for any insight you can give. I’m trying not to stress - but the closer I get to the pre-surgical requirements being done … the more anxious I get.

My surgeon didn’t want one initially, but after I mentioned I had a murmur as a baby he decided to do one in the hospital the morning of the surgery. Guess maybe I should have mentioned that sooner. We had time to kill anyways cause I couldn’t pee so they had to rush a blood pregnancy test. They really should give you a cup to bring home.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 06/22/2022 at 22:29, Juniper123 said:

I had my ekg done at my primary care clearance visit. I was already scheduled for surgery at that time. Seems like every doctor does it differently.

They did my EKG at the cardiac clearance - but not an echo … it’s not routine but they wanted one for me because of medication I had taken in the 1990’s. I’m glad they are being safe and checking things… it was just annoying it’s been broke up in to two visits because of a communication error.

On 06/22/2022 at 22:49, ShoppGirl said:

My surgeon didn’t want one initially, but after I mentioned I had a murmur as a baby he decided to do one in the hospital the morning of the surgery. Guess maybe I should have mentioned that sooner. We had time to kill anyways cause I couldn’t pee so they had to rush a blood pregnancy test. They really should give you a cup to bring home.

I’m glad they were able to do it that day!

They did a pregnancy test at my upper endoscopy - which I almost had a similar issue as you. My bladder was being very shy under pressure.

On 07/03/2022 at 11:33, Kcfromkc said:

Can you ask your coordinator how far out the surgeon is scheduling right now?

This program does things differently than others I have looked at. You go through the classes and tests - once you get through everything then you pick your surgeon and schedule to meet with them - so they can review everything with you.

So I won’t pick my surgeon until after my final class (this week) and I was told all the surgeons have varied schedules (some do more than just bariatrics if they specialize in other digestive diseases) so the schedules vary.

She did recommend that when they schedule with me I ask about which surgeons have availability in our targeted timeline (if any) - so I suppose that is what I will do.

They did great with getting my tests scheduled and completed - I just wish they were able to schedule to meet with the surgeon once the tests were scheduled - rather than wait until the last class … then contact you at some point after. Leaves the timeline to open and uncertain.

My last pre op appointment was 4/18 I think. Surgery 5/6.

On 07/04/2022 at 14:21, redhead_che said:

My last pre op appointment was 4/18 I think. Surgery 5/6.

Thank you… I’m hoping they can work me in with a similar time frame. I’m getting nervous and anxious to at least lock a date in.

I didn't need cardiac clearance, I assume that is case by case.

I did however have surgery scheduled within 30 days of my last appointment. My final appointment was 2/24 or 2/25 (can't remember without looking at my calendar) but my surgery was 3/21.

On 07/05/2022 at 10:21, kcuster83 said:

I didn't need cardiac clearance, I assume that is case by case.

I did however have surgery scheduled within 30 days of my last appointment. My final appointment was 2/24 or 2/25 (can't remember without looking at my calendar) but my surgery was 3/21.

Thank you… I’m hoping that will be about the time frame I’m looking at.

I had a reg cardiac clearance, but because of a medication I took 25 yrs ago they wanted an echo just to be safe. Thankfully all was fine.

My final weigh in and nutrition appt is this Thursday. Praying I can get an appointment relatively soon to see the surgeon and then my surgery will follow closely.

Yesterday I had the last of my appointments, tests and virtual check-ins (or so I thought). I got a call after my last appointment - expecting it to be a scheduler to set up a time to meet with the surgeon. Instead, it was a question about my cardiac clearance - “did they do an echo while I was there?” (they didn’t). They said I would need one - sorry it got missed (irritated it’s another copay [emoji849]) … hoping they could get me in before my new insurance year (July 1st) but grateful they got me in on July 1st. At least it is not a long wait.

I’m worried that’s going to push out my meeting with the surgeon… and back things up a little. I know I will have a 8 day pre-surgical liquid diet to do prior to my surgery…. but my question is - how long after your last meeting with the surgeon was your surgery scheduled for?

My husband is a teacher and I’m hoping to have the surgery before he goes back so he can be around that first week or two at least.

As June turns into July… (he goes back mid August for in-service) I worry that might not be possible. I’m not worried about the insurance part, I’m confident that is already good. I’m not worried about the echo (I have no cardiac issues… it’s just the programs requirement). So it’s really just the surgeons availability that’s the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for any insight you can give. I’m trying not to stress - but the closer I get to the pre-surgical requirements being done … the more anxious I get.
Congratulations [emoji323]

Sent from my SM-A136U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 6/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, LookingForward22 said:

Yesterday I had the last of my appointments, tests and virtual check-ins (or so I thought). I got a call after my last appointment - expecting it to be a scheduler to set up a time to meet with the surgeon. Instead, it was a question about my cardiac clearance - “did they do an echo while I was there?” (they didn’t). They said I would need one - sorry it got missed (irritated it’s another copay 🙄) … hoping they could get me in before my new insurance year (July 1st) but grateful they got me in on July 1st. At least it is not a long wait.

Congratulations for getting to this stage! I know for me, this period is the hardest to stay patient. lol.
I echo what others have said - every program/hospital seems to be different. My last clearance appointment was on June 6. The bariatric coordinator called me a couple weeks later to schedule the surgery. It's been scheduled for July 21,

Once I finished my last test, and got my results, my paperwork was sent to my insurance. Approval took about a week or so and THEN I got the call to schedule. No point in scheduling if insurance said no they said. Not that I was worried, I also had a strong belief my insurance would cover it. I am having a revision so the first surgery was scheduled for maybe 4 weeks (a month) after that. I’m an educator like your husband and also had to consider my schedule. I think once everything is in order it will go quickly for you, especially if the team you are going to has several surgeons to choose from.

On 07/07/2022 at 07:58, kthorn1 said:

Congratulations for getting to this stage! I know for me, this period is the hardest to stay patient. lol.

I echo what others have said - every program/hospital seems to be different. My last clearance appointment was on June 6. The bariatric coordinator called me a couple weeks later to schedule the surgery. It's been scheduled for July 21,

Thank you. I’ve never been very good at being patient - lol. I am an over preparer… so not having everything laid out is hard for me.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone - it helps me focus on the possibility this could happen before school starts back up.

I know every program is different, and Covid can change plans at any point… but I just want to try to have realistic expectations.

The idea of surgery still scares me - but not doing something to improve my health scares me too.

On my way to my final weigh in and last “class” so the only thing left is the appointment with the surgeon and scheduling the surgery.

Hoping I have a better idea after today when the surgical appointment will be.