Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question - I get sharp pains in the top of my stomach when I drink anything. It's intermittent. They don't even last a second but I was hoping they would get better a week out, but it's the same. I'm thinking it's the hernia repair I had at the same time, or could it be common to the sleeve?

you are still healing and will be healing for a few months. The pain should go away with time... I am a little over 2 months out and nothing hurts anymore,

All other pain is all gone - even with sneezing! :)

Just wondering about specific issue surrounding something coming into the stomach.

Thanks!

Are you taking big mouth fulls ? That hurts, Or maybe try a warm drink if your drink is icy cold. This feels like a shock to the stomach early on.

Yes, very small sips and everything room temperature. I'm just trying to find out if this is typical as I can't seem to find another references to this.

It could be little post surgical muscle spasms when you swallow. Everything is still a bit sensitive. It takes weeks to heal & recover. Make sure you’re sipping not gulping & leaving time between each sip. Cold drinks are often a culprit too so try room temperature liquids or warm/hot (many of us find warm more soothing). Eventually you may be able to drink larger amounts, closer together & drink cold again but when, how much & how often is an individual thing. Me, I can’t do more than two large mouthfuls in a row after all this time but others can chug. Just one of those things.

9 hours ago, AnneNP said:

Yes, very small sips and everything room temperature. I'm just trying to find out if this is typical as I can't seem to find another references to this.

I had that for about 2 weeks. My stomach seemed to be extra sensitive to anything I drank. I had hoped after the 1st week it would feel better, but nope. It was literally day 15 or so before I stopped having pain every time I drank anything.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, Arabesque said:

It could be little post surgical muscle spasms when you swallow. Everything is still a bit sensitive. It takes weeks to heal & recover. Make sure you’re sipping not gulping & leaving time between each sip. Cold drinks are often a culprit too so try room temperature liquids or warm/hot (many of us find warm more soothing). Eventually you may be able to drink larger amounts, closer together & drink cold again but when, how much & how often is an individual thing. Me, I can’t do more than two large mouthfuls in a row after all this time but others can chug. Just one of those things.

Yup, doing all that. I think it has something to do with air, as when I give a little burp I don't have any pain.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I had that for about 2 weeks. My stomach seemed to be extra sensitive to anything I drank. I had hoped after the 1st week it would feel better, but nope. It was literally day 15 or so before I stopped having pain every time I drank anything.

Thanks! I *think* it's getting better day by day, although it's very slow. Really appreciate the comment, as I just needed to know that this is something that happens to other people and of course, will go away

This is refreshing to read! I have pain when drinking as well. Although to be honest I still have pain in general. Coughing, sneezing and laughing are the biggest culprits. Even walking. I was only sleeved Monday, so I’m guessing that’s normal