Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi yalllll,

So I’m rlly just wondering if I’m fucking this surgery up 😞 I am able to eat a yogurt (6oz) in like 20 mins and I don’t feel gross after. My brother who also had the surgery two/three years ago is telling me I’m eating way too fast, but I don’t like understand how or what he means? He won’t rlly help me understand either 😞 I just don’t want this all to be in vain, I’m a worry wort as you can probably see but I have lost 12ish lbs and I wanna keep the momentum, and make sure I’m not doing anything dumb to jeopardize my success. Any input would be helpful! Xx

Do you have an eating plan from your bariatric group? It should tell you exactly what and how much you should eat. I may be wrong cuz I don’t have my book near me, but 6 oz does seem like a large amount in one meal.

Hi Sabi! Congrats on your journey. I do not believe you are messing anything up. What you are able to tolerate is going to be different from others, family included. I believe what your brother is saying is to slow down the eating process. Give yourself a chance to savor each spoonful and this will help to slow down the time it takes to complete your meal (yogurt in this case) and may make you feel fuller along the way. Listen to your body. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and experiences as well. Take care and best of luck to you.

When all your stitches or staples heal on your new tummy, you will start to get full signals again. But till then you need to play it by ear. Some doctors give amounts, some don't. Mine said don't worry your restriction will kick in soon. Early out my nose ran or I sneezed ! Now its whack ! you have had enough. My restriction is fierce and my team say oh that's great you will loose more. I am never hungry. Apparently it does not last and I will regret it when it does. Once you get your restriction you will have to eat slower and chew more

You won’t have messed up so you can breath about that. I do agree with the suggestion to check your portion size recommendations. Mine was 1/4 -1/3 cup to begin from purée. liquids stage was just sip your shake or Soup ‘meal’ until finished. Portion size of those were a cup of but I’d dilute them to double & would take a couple of hours to drink. All adds to your Fluid goal so all good. If you weren’t given portion size recommendations, ask for some.

Nerves are cut during surgery so your signals aren’t working & then they may not work the same which is one of the reasons Portion Control is important. Plus liquids go through your body more quickly so your tummy is emptying more quickly than you getting ‘full’. Even when your nerves have healed, you’ve recovered & are eating solid food, you may not feel full or feel your restriction. The actually goal should not be to eat until you are full or feel the restriction but eat until you’ve had enough. Three years out I still ask myself do I need the next bite or just want it. Big difference.

I still eat slowly too: 30-60mins depending upon what I’m eating (of course I’m eating more then you are at the moment). It takes me about 50mins to eat a 6oz/1cup yoghurt. But surgeons have different recommendations on time frame & you’ll discover what works best for you. I still also take small bites. A teaspoon helps to modify the size of your bite & keep them small. Then, put your spoon down between bites & wait a couple of minutes before your next bite.

There are a lot of new things to learn but you’ll get there. Also what worked for your brother may not work for you.

All the best.

I do agree with the other in checking with your doctor and or any instructions given. But I also want to remind you, like many of us had to learn, not to compare yourself to others. We all will have different experiences. But when your sleeve says it's time to stop, you will know, and will have no choice but to listen to it. Good Luck!