Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today was unusually hot and I took my daughter to get ice cream at Baskin Robbins. I couldn’t resist and got myself a very small cup (2 oz) of Jamoca Almond Fudge. I have been really good and have lost 65 pounds in two and a half months. So I ate the ice cream slowly and didn’t eat the almonds. I braced myself for a bad reaction but nothing happened. Does that mean I’m not a dumper? Or is dumping a random thing?

Edited by eclarke

Only about 30% of bypass patients dump. From what I understand Even those that do can often have small amounts of sugar without dumping. It’s possible you would dump on a larger amount of sugar, but also very possible you never will.

Edited by ShoppGirl

24 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Only about 30% of bypass patients dump. From what I understand Even those that do can often have small amounts of sugar without dumping. It’s possible you would dump on a larger amount of sugar, but also very possible you never will.

^^^^ agree with everything she said. At seven years out, I've never dumped - and I know a lot of others who haven't, either. Unfortunately, I'm sure I could inhale a pint of ice cream and never dump.

Dumping is random for me. Sometimes I can have a small bowl of Cereal with almond milk & sometimes I can’t 😞

I never know what it is going to be.

A surgeon told me that eating small amounts of sugar trains the part of your intestines to accept the sugar over time & after years of this the sugar won’t bother you anymore & you can go right back to eating how you did before.

I’m 4 years out & the almond mike made me dump just the other night.

I would not say that for me that dumping is random, just that there are a lot of variables that can affect whether I dump or not and if I do, how much.

A partial list of things that affect dumping: Fatigue, sleep deprivation, medications, pain, stress, anxiety, illness, allergies, hunger, time of day...

It's often hard to even know when I am in the throws of some of these things let alone how much some are likely to affect me. Which is why I generally leave a fair amount of wiggle room to spare on the occasions I choose to risk it. And even then oops every now and again, generally several months apart these days.

It's usually easy to figure out the contributors to a dumping episode after the fact. The worst reason is just plain stupidity. I think I missed that on the contributors list above. Maybe that's why stupidity is the cause most often ;)

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Well said Tek! I have found that I can combine Protein with a sugary treat and then don’t dump, but then there is the trade off of calories or not feeling deprived. Well, if I’m full of hamburger, I can eat that cookie, but I’m already “full” the extra will just be uncomfortable!

It sounds like the original poster walked to the ice cream shop. Exercise can sometimes buff off the original sugar high of a dump and prevent one from starting. Or you are just in the majority of non-dumpers.

23 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

Well said Tek! I have found that I can combine Protein with a sugary treat and then don’t dump, but then there is the trade off of calories or not feeling deprived. Well, if I’m full of hamburger, I can eat that cookie, but I’m already “full” the extra will just be uncomfortable!

It sounds like the original poster walked to the ice cream shop. Exercise can sometimes buff off the original sugar high of a dump and prevent one from starting. Or you are just in the majority of non-dumpers.

oh... and fitness, and exercise, and rate of consumption, and contemporary food, and...

Good Luck,

Tek

So today was unusually hot and I took my daughter to get ice cream at Baskin Robbins. I couldn’t resist and got myself a very small cup (2 oz) of Jamoca Almond Fudge. I have been really good and have lost 65 pounds in two and a half months. So I ate the ice cream slowly and didn’t eat the almonds. I braced myself for a bad reaction but nothing happened. Does that mean I’m not a dumper? Or is dumping a random thing?

It's random & different for everyone. I wished I would have had a bigger issue with it. But WHY after only 2 1/2 months are you already cheating? That's a very slippery slope and if you're already cheating.. That's not good.
Good luck though

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's random & different for everyone. I wished I would have had a bigger issue with it. But WHY after only 2 1/2 months are you already cheating? That's a very slippery slope and if you're already cheating.. That's not good.
Good luck though

Also.. I don't necessarily "dump" but I'll get a really bad belly ache

Dumping is totally random but as a rule of thumb I try to avoid foods with more than 10-12 grams of added sugar. It's worked so far! If the portion was really small there mightve not been enough sugar or fat to trigger it. Like for example, I can take a small bite of something sugary and be fine. I've only dumped once after eating French fries and some bread with honey butter..it was likely due to all the fat I was consuming and the sweet butter put me over the edge. Terrible experience because I have an hour and a half card ride after with some friends and had to pretend I wasn't about to die LOL

I'd say you're lucky, don't push it or you can I guess if you want to learn your limits although I truly feel it's random and it's best to avoid large quantities of sugar and fats. But im a believer in occasional treats so don't deprive yourself! Glad you could enjoy it. My doctor always says "what worked today, might not work tomorrow. Proceed with caution"

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

As others have said, not everybody experiences dumping, or not in the way you've been warned.

I was terrified of dumping, I'd heard the horror stories of the pain, sweating, sickness etc. I avoided sugar like the plague.

Eventually I decided I needed to just try it to see what happens so I was prepared. I was so scared of accidentally causing it while I was out or in work or somewhere I couldn't go and lie down and wait for it to pass.

So I tried it, I ate some chocolate. Sat there and waited...nothing happened.

I have realised however, that if I do have sugar, a few hours later I get periods of lightheadedness, like I'm going to pass out when I stand up. From what I've read this is dumping, it's just not the dumping I expected.

So you may never experience any kind of dumping, or you may get it in ways you weren't expecting. I'd say just be careful and don't be tempted by things once you realise they don't affect you how you'd expected.