Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just need to moan, whine and vent -- Sorry

I have had multiple issues since having my surgery. First thing I was taken off my blood pressure meds, now I need them more than ever due to skyrocketing blood pressure. I had a diuretic for my previous pills but they won't give those to me so the pill I have barely works. I hit my first stall less than 2 weeks out from surgery and am now in another. (Stalls suck) All of my old health issues came raring back with a vengeance, (hoping as the weight drops they will go away) and now have some new ones. Had the lab take blood and she hit a nerve so I am dealing with the aftermath of that. The NUT wanted no chicken, beef or pork for the first 4 months so with my dietary restrictions this is making things a bit harder. (Just eating more veges) I am having issues with Constipation and called my dr. office for help. Lets see eat more fiber and drink more Water. I have always done that. I drink over 70 ounces a day (probably be more now since its warm outside) I increased my fiber from around 15 g to 20-24 g. Not helping. So why are they treating me like I'm lying? So I have had to figure it out on my own. Probably the amount of Iron I am taking in. So I am going to adjust that myself. On Saturday I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and go have fun. I went out to the mall with a friend. All that walking made my hip a bit sore but I ignored it thinking not used to walking around for two hours. Yesterday rolls around I stop at the grocery store after seeing my doctor and getting an xray and when I stepped off the curb my hip almost gave out. So here I am sitting in my room not feeling too great waiting to call the doctor again for another appointment. Its been fun these past two months.

I’m sorry you are struggling. The only thing I can possibly help with is the Fiber. You can only take in so much at a time and if all you are eating now are mostly veggies the eat more fiber doesn’t seem to be a solution. I was advised to take benefiber daily (Walmart had a generic in powder form that’s much cheaper). That was to be taken after I had a movement which I needed milk of magnesia the first time to make that happen. If you are on other meds I would say to ask your team if these two are okay for you to take but I suppose you could run it by a pharmacist at least.

For the Constipation I highly recommend Miralax. It is very gentle and can be used daily without adverse affects.

I'm confused as to why the BP meds are all over the place. Why did they take you off them to start with, and who made that call? I hope it wasn't the surgeon's office, that really should be a cardiologist or primary care person, and only if your BP readings at home were consistently lower than they had been previously. If it was the surgeon's office, I would definitely talk to your regular doctor.

For me, Miralax has never worked. I swear by Milk of Magnesia (if I have a drink nearby to wash away the taste) or Colace (I have to take 4 a day to get it to work, but once it kicks in, I'm good for 2-3 days lol). I was also taken off my bp meds as well as diabetes meds by by surgeon, the day I had my surgery. It's worked out well so far (I'm 7 weeks out today) but I did find it odd that the surgeon took me off and not my PCP. I had my stall at 2/2 weeks, and it lasted for 2 full weeks. I actually gained 5 pounds on it before I just got stuck. I wanted to cry almost everyday. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. It never occurred to me that stalls would be the worst part of the surgery lol I'm confused why they won't let you have your diuretic. Was it prescribed for something that had nothing to do with weight specifically? If so, the surgeon's office had no business messing with it. I have MS, and they were looking at what meds to stop and I called my neurologist from the hospital and told them and they contacted my surgeon and said in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that any meds related to MS are not to be touched in any way, and if they refuse to let me have them, he would come to the hospital everyday twice a day to administer them to me and bill the surgeon's office for the visits lol Needless to say, my MS meds were left alone.

So sorry to hear about your struggles since surgery, thats a lot to deal with. For the Constipation, you may need to add stool softener's with the fiber and Water. I'm speaking from personal notes. I take a ton of fiber and have always been a big water drinker, but the stools were so hard it was a challenge to pass it. So the softeners have solved that problem and life has been better since. Good luck to you!

4 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

For me, Miralax has never worked. I swear by Milk of Magnesia (if I have a drink nearby to wash away the taste) or Colace (I have to take 4 a day to get it to work, but once it kicks in, I'm good for 2-3 days lol). I was also taken off my bp meds as well as diabetes meds by by surgeon, the day I had my surgery. It's worked out well so far (I'm 7 weeks out today) but I did find it odd that the surgeon took me off and not my PCP. I had my stall at 2/2 weeks, and it lasted for 2 full weeks. I actually gained 5 pounds on it before I just got stuck. I wanted to cry almost everyday. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. It never occurred to me that stalls would be the worst part of the surgery lol I'm confused why they won't let you have your diuretic. Was it prescribed for something that had nothing to do with weight specifically? If so, the surgeon's office had no business messing with it. I have MS, and they were looking at what meds to stop and I called my neurologist from the hospital and told them and they contacted my surgeon and said in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that any meds related to MS are not to be touched in any way, and if they refuse to let me have them, he would come to the hospital everyday twice a day to administer them to me and bill the surgeon's office for the visits lol Needless to say, my MS meds were left alone.

They didn't want me to have the diuretic because they wanted to make sure I didn't get dehydrated which they said is a danger for someone so early after surgery. I should be talking with my PCP soon and we will discuss what meds are best.

I'm amazed your surgeon would take you off anything, thats usually the PCP that does that. I was never on a diuretic, probably could be. My b/p actually was elevated for a couple of months after surgery. So, I'm glad no one took me off b/p meds until now.

1 minute ago, DonnaGS said:

I'm amazed your surgeon would take you off anything, thats usually the PCP that does that. I was never on a diuretic, probably could be. My b/p actually was elevated for a couple of months after surgery. So, I'm glad no one took me off b/p meds until now.

I think that's why they should have waited. The issue was because I had seen my PCP a week after surgery and my BP was fine so she was fine with me not being on any, wasn't until a week or two later that it rose back up. Hopefully mine will drop down as time goes on.

So sorry you have been struggling. It will be interesting to see what your PCP says, what tests they order & what treatments they recommend. I wonder if the release of hormones & other things stored in your fat as you’re losing weight has stirred up some of your health issues? This isn’t uncommon. My cholesterol rose while I was losing though my fat intake was very low & my liver function was off. My predisposition to low blood pressure has become a permanent condition. I grew a gall stone & had my gall removed. Plus the surgery & all the changes to your duet & eating puts you under a lot of stress & that can stir up all sorts of health issues. Just a suggestion.

I don’t understand nutritionalists who recommend no chicken, beef or pork for months after surgery. What’s their justification? What do they recommend you should eat instead? I presume plant based Proteins. Can you eat seafood? The weight loss phase should be the time you learn about how you want & need to eat in the future - learning new eating & cooking habits, new & alternative ingredients. If you were or are intending to follow a meat free diet in the future their plan is fine but if not … Plus you have to get your tummy & digestive system used to a broad range of foods again & see what it does & doesn't tolerate. I was eating meat including seafood from soft food & some in purée. Some didn’t taste as good to begin but I could tolerate them all.

Unfortunately Constipation in some form is a cross we all have to bear while losing. Soluble fibre, stool softeners, laxatives, etc. become part of your life for a while. It does improve a lot once you are eating more & a more varied diet.

Glad you decided to go out & some some fun with a friend though it was unfortunate you injured your hip. Don’t give up though. Just take it more slowly.