Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days out of surgery and all I can think about it sugar…. I think I’m having some regrets but I know this will all be worth it in the end….

just thinking of my birthday in November and how I would have stuffed myself with red velvet cake (my fave) not anymore lol

Anyone else have any regrets after surgery? I also am going to work in a few days because I don’t have any time off so I’m nervous about that. I love this forum though such a great way to get my thoughts out there and have some people to relate to!!!

(Attached pic is pre surgery xx)

image-0.0019073486328125.jpg

Which surgery did have you have? It will be a big part of the answer on sugar.

Another part of the answer is what does your plan say about sugar. I recommend being a plan nazi for the early months. That is, if you have a plan, not everyone does.

November is a long way away and no matter which surgery you will be able to have your cake in moderation. "Stuffing yourself" is possible but it will have a completely different meaning and it likely won't be pleasant. You'll find out.

As for work, how are you feeling now? Plan for meals you will have at work. Planning ahead is always important.

Good luck,

Tek

22 minutes ago, Sabi said:

4 days out of surgery and all I can think about it sugar…. I think I’m having some regrets but I know this will all be worth it in the end….

just thinking of my birthday in November and how I would have stuffed myself with red velvet cake (my fave) not anymore lol

Anyone else have any regrets after surgery? I also am going to work in a few days because I don’t have any time off so I’m nervous about that. I love this forum though such a great way to get my thoughts out there and have some people to relate to!!!

You might not have to go with out your beloved birthday cake by November but it would be a teeny tiny amount to what you ate before. Good luck with your surgery

On 06/17/2022 at 19:45, The Greater Fool said:

Which surgery did have you have? It will be a big part of the answer on sugar.

Another part of the answer is what does your plan say about sugar. I recommend being a plan nazi for the early months. That is, if you have a plan, not everyone does.

November is a long way away and no matter which surgery you will be able to have your cake in moderation. "Stuffing yourself" is possible but it will have a completely different meaning and it likely won't be pleasant. You'll find out.

As for work, how are you feeling now? Plan for meals you will have at work. Planning ahead is always important.

Good luck,

Tek

Greetings! I got the sleeve! My plan basically says to exclude sugar for the first few months to avoid dumping!!! Which I plan to do but mannnn I keep having dreams about eating chocolate LOL so I bought some Sugar Free Chocolate puddings for when I can have that, I guess I’ll see how it agrees with me.

Thanks for the advice and I’m looking forward to that cake on my birthday hahaha. So far I feel ok I feel a bit of tightness in my abdominal area still. I’ll be getting on a plane tomorow for 19 hours which I’m not excited about since I got my surgery in my homeland of Egypt. Flying back to America tomorow!!! Wish me luck xx

Def been planning as much as I could for when I get back and hoping work isn’t too strenuous on me, I just feel kind of exhausted at times but I’m sure that has to do with the fact that there is NOTHING in my body lol I’ll keep u posted

the first few weeks can be tough, but after that, you're good. I, like a lot of people, had bouts of buyers remorse the first month or so (or maybe only a couple of weeks? It's been awhile), but that's long gone. No regrets at all - other than I should have had it done years before I did.

Dumping is pretty rare in sleeve patients. It’s more likely you’ve been advised to avoid sugar to break any addiction to sugar you may have - break your cravings for sweet.

I didn’t have an addiction but I enjoyed dessert or something sweet at night. While losing I cut out as much sugar, sugar alternatives & artificial sweeteners as I could. Now I rarely eat traditionally sweet things. I will have some cake or dessert on special occasions like Christmas, a wedding, etc. I just control how much & how often. I get most of the glucose my body needs from other food sources like fruit, vegetables, carbs, dairy, seeds, etc.

Can’t see anything wrong with you having some birthday cake especially in 5/6 months time - just not the whole cake. 😁

PS - I didn’t & still don’t have any regrets. Though in the beginning isn’t uncommon to question your decision. You’re going through a lot - a big surgery, restricted diet, pain, discomfort, low energy. Lots of changes, new things to learn, you have to avoid foods that used to comfort you, etc. Hormones are going haywire & you can be very emotional. But once you’ve healed & recovered, are feeling more confident & comfortable about what you’re doing & you see how much weight you are losing, the regrets or concerns disappear.

Thank you 🙏🏽 I can definitely attest to the hormones, post surgery I felt SO emotional I freaked out on my mom for something and it became this huge fight, I just felt misunderstood. Definitely gonna be working on managing my stress and emotions for the next few months!!! Xx

On 6/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, Sabi said:

I didn't have any buyers remorse until I hit my first stall. It lasted 2 weeks and I actually gained 5 pounds and then was just stuck. Once the stall broke, I started losing weight really slowly compared to before my stall, and I got SO upset. You can find my posts about it somewhere on here. Now things have picked up a little bit again (not as much as pre stall, but definitely better than right after) and I'm happy as can be again. I'm 6 1/2 weeks out, and I can eat what I want. But I'm very careful on making sure it sits right with my stomach and I only eat the amount I'm supposed to. I also make sure I'm taking in between 60-80g of Protein per day, less than 50g of carbs per day, and less than 50g of fats per day. I also eat 3 meals and sometimes 1 snack per day, and I eat less than 1/2 a cup of food per meal (or no more than 4oz of food if I need to use my food scale instead of a measuring cup).

I never had a sweet tooth, and I never really cared for bread, Pasta, rolls, etc. So none of that has been an issue for me. MY big vices have always been fried, greasy, savory, tart, slightly sour flavors (for sour, think green olives). I also used to salt EVERYTHING....a LOT. Now I'm much more sensitive to salt and only use a very small amount on the rare occasions I use it at all.

I will say this....if you are thinking about the same thing, or same types of things, over and over then it's head hunger and not real hunger. I know I'm hungry when my stomach starts to hurt a little and I would eat anything you put in front of me. It's usually after about 4 hours from the last time I ate. When I start thinking "I would sell my teenager for some tater tots and chili cheese fries" then I know it's a craving, which is head hunger. So I drink through it (protein shake or a smoothie or whatever I have on hand) and busy myself so I don't focus on it. When it's genuine hunger, then I eat.

Eventually you WILL be able to eat what you want. But you have to hold yourself accountable and make yourself stick to your diet and portion sizes. No grazing. I never lost my hunger hormone and I never had an aversion to food like a lot of people on here do. So it's been a real struggle to stay on track. But it's possible, and sloooooowly my brain and body are learning that I AM actually eating enough and I DON'T need to eat until I feel like I'm going to pop.

I promise you'll get there. And when you get on the scale and see it move every day or every few days (depending on how often you choose to weigh yourself) it'll give you that extra motivation to stick with it and keep going. You got this, and it'll definitely all be worth it in the end

To satisfy your sugar craving try having some juice, Powerade or something similar. You will be able to eat some cake for your birthday just not as much as you would have in the past.

There are lots of threads about being regretful after surgery and what different people have gone through I was one of them and I can happily tell you now at almost a year out I have no regrets which is huge because I was shouting from the roof tops that this surgery should be banned blah blah blah which I get quite embarrassed about now lol. you will be fine.