Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Multivitamin for Gastric Sleeve

I had my sleeve done eight years ago and since I had that surgery, I did well in the beginning, and it seems like after that year was gone! All hell broke loose; I was in and out of the hospital for not being able to keep food down and pain all the time and when I eat, as I swallow my food, I begin to choke and start back vomiting and weight loss is uncontrollable. So, has anyone ever experienced any problems since having the weight loss surgery?

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I had sleeve & only had to take a multi Vitamin. I’m menopausal so don’t need the extra Iron as younger women would (not that you need to worry about that either @Muffinman1119) & my blood test showed I had ample Iron & iron stores. According to my pre surgery bone scan my bones are rock hard so no additional Calcium either. Plus post surgery I was eating more dairy then I did before.

Best advice is to follow what your medical team has advised to begin. Subsequent blood tests will show if you are getting too much of anything.

I haven’t taken Vitamins since about month 7 or 8 post surgery. I get all the nutrients, Vitamins & minerals I need from what I eat. The exception is Vitamin D which I take in winter only. My levels drop a bit because I hibernate. I’ve discovered the brand I buy (BioCeuticals) offers it in a spray now. Single squirt under the tongue. No swallowing tablets. For those who struggle with swallowing meds & nausea, a spray, if you can find it, may be an alternative.

Thanks for the information and recommendations. I’m sure as time goes on that I’ll figure out what works. My nutritionist and surgeon are very understanding, informative, and knowledgeable. I’ll be sure to look into that spray you mentioned.

16 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

It varies greatly from surgeon to surgeon. It’s really a guessing game what you need before you get your labs. Once you get those they will adjust if necessary. Best thing to do is reach out to your team since they have your medical information and will have the best guess what you will need. My team also recommended Bariatric Advantage. I shopped around though and found Pro Care health multi with Iron because it was cheaper and they were okay with me taking that too.

Yeah, I think to be honest they may get a kickback from Bariatric Advantage (which is fine). Luckily, I’ve been on a decent supplemental regimen, so this shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:18 AM, Muffinman1119 said:

Just curious about what experiences you all have had with the bariatric Multivitamins? Do you all have any recommendations for or against any particular ones?

The nutritionist I met with recommended the Bariatric Advantage chewable Ultra Solo with Iron.

I take this one: https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/bariatricpal-multivitamin-one-day-bariatric-capsule-18mg-iron?variant=32469011169357 and an extra 5000mcg of Biotin. And I haven't had any issues with it at all. Really like it.

I have tried the Bariatric Advantage chewable and capsule. The chewable is disgusting, the capsule smells awful and makes me cringe to take it. The bariatric pal capsule is great for me. Same stats and the BA without the vile smell and taste.

16 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

I have tried the Bariatric Advantage chewable and capsule. The chewable is disgusting, the capsule smells awful and makes me cringe to take it. The bariatric pal capsule is great for me. Same stats and the BA without the vile smell and taste.

Thanks for the heads up @Tony B - NJ! I too have heard the chewables are disgusting, but didn’t know about the capsules being awful too. I wish there was a way for me to try an assortment of them before I bought a 1-month or 3-month supply.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:45 AM, Tony B - NJ said:

The awful smell from the capsules could be because your sense of smell can become more sensitive after surgery. It is only temporary. If they still smell awful to you this far out it could just be something in the Bariatric Advantage thats more specific to you. Like the smell of ramen noodle places & Red Door perfume makes me cringe.

In my program - they give you options of multiple different kinds of Multivitamins (prenatal, different brands of multiple regular multivitamins) but I’m choosing the Flintson chewables (2 a day). flinstone complete is ok and the Walmart brand is ok also.

With the multi (no matter the brand) I will need to take a b complex and Vitamin D daily as well. (The dosage will vary depending on which surgery I have).

I’m not required to take a Calcium supplement until after my blood work. Normally they don’t find a need for more calcium than I will get in my diet, but if my blood work shows I need it - that’s when I will start it.

Did your program give you a booklet that might have things broken out or do you have a nurse navigator that you can ask? I’m sure you aren’t the only person overwhelmed and asking questions. I have a book with everything laid out and I ask questions every time I talk to someone. They are very understanding about it.

10 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

In my program - they give you options of multiple different kinds of Multivitamins (prenatal, different brands of multiple regular multivitamins) but I’m choosing the Flintson chewables (2 a day). flinstone complete is ok and the Walmart brand is ok also.

With the multi (no matter the brand) I will need to take a b complex and Vitamin D daily as well. (The dosage will vary depending on which surgery I have).

I’m not required to take a Calcium supplement until after my blood work. Normally they don’t find a need for more Calcium than I will get in my diet, but if my blood work shows I need it - that’s when I will start it.

Did your program give you a booklet that might have things broken out or do you have a nurse navigator that you can ask? I’m sure you aren’t the only person overwhelmed and asking questions. I have a book with everything laid out and I ask questions every time I talk to someone. They are very understanding about it.

My nutritionist did go over a Vitamin regimen with me. They recommended the Bariatric Advantage Ultra Solo w/ Iron. They also recommended that I take a calcium citrate supplement either 1x or 2x daily. She said that it depends on if I supplement with a Protein Shake, whether or not I need to take 1 or 2 of those.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, Sarahelmgren said:

I went ahead and ordered the bari melts the bundle so hopefully it works out thank u so much I’m getting nervous for the 5th but also very excited

I got my surgery on Friday 6/17 and since then I’ve been using BariMelts. I’ve really struggled with these as the taste is terrible and it makes it super hard to get down. I hope your experience with them are much better.

I am so happy for this thread. I got opurity chewables w/45 Iron (I was anemic before surgery so yay iron) and no just no. The smell the taste makes me gag. I was gonna try to finish the bottle cause I hate wasting money, but I can't do a full 90days of these things. I think I will try bariatric pal.