Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Upper Endoscopy is today… feeling really nervous (I hate being sedated). The next two weeks are jam packed with clearance tests and appointments (Cardiologist, Physical Therapy, Nutrition, etc) so I’m closer to getting my surgery date.

If I’m this anxious about a procedure, worried I will be completely overwhelmed when it comes to surgery.

Any advice for dealing with nerves and anxiety that helped get you through? Thanks in advance. :)

Good Morning,

I just did my EGD a few weeks ago. I too was nervous, but the hospital staff (nurses, doctors, etc.) were very nice, calming, and reassuring. The procedure only lasts like 15-20 minutes. When you wake up, you'll probably feel like you just took one of the best naps of your life. I know I did! Just be calm (I know, easier said than done) and it'll be over before you know it! Just breathe and think that you're one step closer to your surgery.

On 06/14/2022 at 08:46, Muffinman1119 said:

Good Morning,

I just did my EGD a few weeks ago. I too was nervous, but the hospital staff (nurses, doctors, etc.) were very nice, calming, and reassuring. The procedure only lasts like 15-20 minutes. When you wake up, you'll probably feel like you just took one of the best naps of your life. I know I did! Just be calm (I know, easier said than done) and it'll be over before you know it! Just breathe and think that you're one step closer to your surgery.

Thank you… I’m actually looking forward to that “best nap of your life” feeling. Lol.

I’m trying not to let my anxiety get to me … I’m sure the nurses are used to it and will be amazing.

Headed there now. My check in is at 9:45 and procedure is at 11:15, so just a few more hours to get through.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your kindness.

The worst part is the wait, really! I know it’s an odd thing to say but I LOVE that sedation. It is just the best sleep 😆 like when you’re a kid during summer, have been playing outside all day and when you go to bed you don’t even remember your head hitting the pillow before it’s lights out 😆
I totally look at it as a perk of having to undergo those things!

Try to think of other things and then enjoy your awesome snooze 🤗😄

On 06/14/2022 at 09:47, Summermoose said:

The worst part is the wait, really! I know it’s an odd thing to say but I LOVE that sedation. It is just the best sleep 😆 like when you’re a kid during summer, have been playing outside all day and when you go to bed you don’t even remember your head hitting the pillow before it’s lights out 😆

I totally look at it as a perk of having to undergo those things!

Try to think of other things and then enjoy your awesome snooze 🤗😄

Thank you for that wonderful description. Yes the wait is stressful. I’m back now waiting for nurses to come in one at a time to do their part.

Thank you so much. ❤️

All went well… and actually I’m way less nervous about the surgery now. Thank you so much for the positive thoughts, it helped me a lot. I told the nurse I was nervous but I was looking forward to the great nap I’m told is coming. 😊

Glad to hear all is well. I felt the same way afterwards, I was like "that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be." When is your surgery date?

I don’t have my surgery date yet, they are finishing up my testing and evaluations this week and next. I’m expecting I will get that (or a better idea if it will be July or August) at my appointment on the 21st.

My last check in appointment (they will weigh me to make sure I didn’t gain weight) is July 7th, so I’m assuming it will be in July or early August at the latest. Do you have yours yet?

Ahh I see. So just a waiting game now? I hate waiting! lol

I do have a surgery date, July 27th, next month. I'm looking forward to it, but also am a little bit nervous. I'm more so worried about the immediate recovery phase right after the surgery than anything.

I think having a date and waiting will be hard for me (more time to over think things). I’m hoping that my date will be sooner rather than later, my husband is a school teacher so over the summer he is home to help me with recovery.

Even without a date… I’m in the same spot, looking forward but nervous. At least right now I have the appointments keeping me busy. Once they are done… it’s waiting.