Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks out and feel sick everytime i eat

Hi everyone

Not sure if theres anyone else out there feeling like this.

Im on soft stage so having things like egg/ricotta/spinach baked in oven or egg/ricotta pan fried without oil or little bit cous cous with veges or shepards pie, supposed to have half cup volume but im lucky if i have a whole tablespoon worth, i count 20 seconds between each bite and i get these pains in my chest and back, its unbearable.

I take medication for heartburn.

I constantly feel weak & lethargic

Sent from my SM-S908E using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello elesir8, Yes lots of people feel like this at the start. Me included. Its ok to go back a stage for a few days and then try again. It took me a lot longer to get onto each stage than other people. I was told to eat 6 tiny meals a day but I still struggled to get in my Protein and Water. Confer with your team because everybody is given a different diet and timeline. You are weak because you have had a major operation and are eating so little. Be kind to yourself and rest. Things will get better soon.

If you have the time, fill in your data. Click on the little down arrow by your name at the top of the page. Fill in the surgery and then progress in the sidebar. It helps us help you. We can see how far out you are.

which surgery did you have? Have you been like this all along, or is this a new development? Just asking because if you're a bypass patient and if this just started, you could be developing a stricture. You're in the right time frame for it.

otherwise, like the above commenter said, maybe your stomach isn't quite ready to progress, so in this case, you'll need to back up and stay at the previous stage for a few more days and try again

lastly, lots of people can't handle eggs for the first few weeks or months after surgery - so that could be another reason

in any event, I'd let your clinic know what's going on.

Edited by catwoman7

I agree with @catwoman7. It's also possible you're eating too fast, not chewing enough, or taking bites that are too large.

Not everyone progresses through the stages as fast. You may need to go back to the previous stage for a few days.

Hello elesir8, Yes lots of people feel like this at the start. Me included. Its ok to go back a stage for a few days and then try again. It took me a lot longer to get onto each stage than other people. I was told to eat 6 tiny meals a day but I still struggled to get in my Protein and Water. Confer with your team because everybody is given a different diet and timeline. You are weak because you have had a major operation and are eating so little. Be kind to yourself and rest. Things will get better soon.
If you have the time, fill in your data. Click on the little down arrow by your name at the top of the page. Fill in the surgery and then progress in the sidebar. It helps us help you. We can see how far out you are.
Thank you, i have reverted back to Soups as i dont get sick with that

which surgery did you have? Have you been like this all along, or is this a new development? Just asking because if you're a bypass patient and if this just started, you could be developing a stricture. You're in the right time frame for it.
otherwise, like the above commenter said, maybe your stomach isn't quite ready to progress, so in this case, you'll need to back up and stay at the previous stage for a few more days and try again
lastly, lots of people can't handle eggs for the first few weeks or months after surgery - so that could be another reason
in any event, I'd let your clinic know what's going on.
Thank you for responding.
I had the sleeve surgery.
I reverted back to Soups yesterday as they dont make me sick so ill do that for a week and then try again with soft phase

Thank you for responding.
I had the sleeve surgery.
I reverted back to Soups yesterday as they dont make me sick so ill do that for a week and then try again with soft phase

Can i also ask, did uou gind that after surgery, your period changed too?
After surgery i was having spot bleeding, i had my period 2 weeks ago and i now have spot bleeding again. Im also on pill so not sure if that has something to do with it

16 minutes ago, elesir8 said:

Can i also ask, did uou gind that after surgery, your period changed too?
After surgery i was having spot bleeding, i had my period 2 weeks ago and i now have spot bleeding again. Im also on pill so not sure if that has something to do with it

I’m sure catwoman will respond too but I am also on birth control so I figured I would chime in. My period was weird for about three months after surgery. I had spotting and longer, heavier periods from those few months. Then it went back to my pre surgery normal and has been ever since.

Oestrogen is stored in your fat & as you lose weight the excess oestrogen is released into your blood stream. You may experience heavier or lighter periods, more or less frequent cycles, mood swings, etc. You can also become more fertile so double up on contraception just in case.

I agree with the others: slow down between bites: minutes not seconds. Try using a teaspoon to keep your bites small too. Glad you tried going back to Soups first a little while. Some people just need a little longer on a stage. We all recover at our own pace. See how you go again with soft foods in a few days. Also some foods don’t sit as well & we don’t enjoy them. This is usually temporary but you may have to do a bit of trial & error when reintroducing foods at first.

Oestrogen is stored in your fat & as you lose weight the excess oestrogen is released into your blood stream. You may experience heavier or lighter periods, more or less frequent cycles, mood swings, etc. You can also become more fertile so double up on contraception just in case.
I agree with the others: slow down between bites: minutes not seconds. Try using a teaspoon to keep your bites small too. Glad you tried going back to Soups first a little while. Some people just need a little longer on a stage. We all recover at our own pace. See how you go again with soft foods in a few days. Also some foods don’t sit as well & we don’t enjoy them. This is usually temporary but you may have to do a bit of trial & error when reintroducing foods at first.

Thank you, makes sense as last time i had them, i was heavier than usual and the cramping was bad, worse than usual, good to know it gets better

I’m sure catwoman will respond too but I am also on birth control so I figured I would chime in. My period was weird for about three months after surgery. I had spotting and longer, heavier periods from those few months. Then it went back to my pre surgery normal and has been ever since.
Thanks for responding, glad to know its normal. Mine were heavier than usual and the cramping pain was pretty bad