Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Advantage Ultra Solo with Iron Vitmins

Has anyone else had an upset stomach from the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins? I’ve tried taking it before Breakfast, during breakfast and after breakfast and still get an upset tummy for an hour. I like that I only have to take one of these Multivitamins but don’t like how I feel afterwards. Does anyone have an idea on how to take it without feeling yucky?

My nutritionist said feeling that way is typically because of the Iron in it. I had the same issue when i first had surgery finding one that did not upset my stomach and cause me to throw up. Going down from 45mg of iron to 18mg of iron helped a ton. Also eating and waiting about 20-30 minutes then taking the capsule helped as well. My nutritionist also said that if the nausea was a problem to take the pill right before bed so that way you are laying down and comfortable. I currently take the BariatricPAL Multivitamin with 18mg of iron capsule once a day.

It is very common for Iron supplements to cause nausea, which can sometimes be alleviated by taking on a full stomach (which apparently didn’t work for you). You might want to try chelated iron supplements (iron bisglycinate), which are supposed to be better absorbed and less likely to cause nausea or Constipation, and switch to a multivitamin without iron.

I have tried three different brands of multivitamins. No matter how I take it, I throw up some days. I bought some iron-free pills, but I will need to take Iron, so I don't know what the point is if I take them separately vs together. I took iron with no issues prior to surgery. I just try to eat a big dinner late, or have a decent sized snack with fat before I take the pill, then go right to bed.

I don’t have issues with it but many people do have issues with the Iron. One person suggested taking a multi with a lower dose of iron like liveaboard suggested and then taking a second lower does of iron at another time a day. That seems like it really would be a good solution to getting what doctor recommended still but just taking smaller dose so it’s easier on your stomach.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I was told to take Vitamin C with my Iron

Just now, LilaNicole20 said:

I was told to take Vitamin C with my Iron

I believe that is just because it absorbs better that way. It doesn’t have anything to do with it making you feel nauseous.

On 06/13/2022 at 17:59, ShoppGirl said:

I believe that is just because it absorbs better that way. It doesn’t have anything to do with it making you feel nauseous.

Oh, that’s definitely true. But maybe the absorption helps shorten the nausea?