Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 8 weeks post op, when can I eat certain foods ?

Hi everyone,

I have found this website helpful so I thought I would ask. I am almost 8 weeks post op and I usually just alternate between tuna or grilled chicken daily. I have tried ground beef and I would say my stomach handles it better than chicken. Chicken is pretty harsh sometimes. I eat alot of Poke too but I feel like I haven't really experimented with alot of food yet. Not even salad.

I am going on vacation in a few weeks when I am almost 3 months post op and was wondering when it was ok to try sushi with rice or thin meat like Carne Asada or Barbacoa or Korean bbq? or corn and flour tortillas ?

Also, alot of people say they can't tolerate a certain food. What exactly does that mean they vomit or it hurts ?

Thanks for the help :)

Were you given an plan with recommended foods to eat or avoid by your surgeon &/or dietician? If not ask your dietician & medical team for a list.

Generally, we’re advised to avoid breads, rice and Pasta because they swell in your tummy filling you quickly, and are nutritionally poor. So sushi, tortillas etc. would be out. Focus on getting your Protein in first, then some vegetables, then a little fruit &/or carbs - look for low processed whole or multi grain as permitted on your plan - if you can. For most of us by the time we ate our protein then a couple of bites of vegetables, we were done.

By 8 weeks I was eating all meats (soft white fish, smoked salmon, chicken, beef, pork, lamb). When we say we can’t tolerate a specific food it can be that you feel nauseous, or it sits heavily in your tummy & causes a general discomfort, it may taste or smell awful, it may be too dry or coarse & feel like it gets stuck & you get the foamies or you may bring it up. It occurs because our tummies are so sensitive after the surgery - healing & then getting used to foods again. But it doesn’t mean you won’t ever be able to eat that food. It’s really a temporary thing. Sometimes a couple of days or a week or so later it’s fine. Also you may be able to eat something without issue for weeks then one day your tummy says no, not today. Then the next day it’s all good. I called my tummy a petulant, tantrum throwing two year old for a couple of months.

Yes, chicken can be too dry especially breast. Try thigh instead. It’s way more flavoursome & moist. If beef sits well, eat beef. Some struggle with salads to begin because they can be coarse & the leaves can seem like they get stuck & often they’re not on your plan for a couple of months.

I found flat breads don't sit well with me but everyone is different, so it feels uncomfortable in my stomach and my stomach made lots of noise and gurgling. I love minced (ground) chicken its so soft and easy to eat like minced (ground) beef.

I haven't tried rice yet to be honest and I wasn't a big rice eater anyway, Pasta is pretty much the same as flat breads for me so I also avoid that.

Salads are good but I think I was 5 or 6 months out when I tried them.

I didn't eat any rice or tortillas for at least the first year out. I can handle them now, but only in small quantities because they sit in my stomach like a brick (I'm seven years out). I can eat all of those meats and have been able to handle them for a long time. Some were too dry for me the first few months out, though. The only way to know is to try them and see how you react.

Everyone can tolorate foods at a different pace. I didn’t have any problems with any food at any point. I just followed the plan And I was fine but some have a very fussy pouch. The only advice I would give is to not eat anything for the first time on vacation. No need to find out what doesn’t sit well during your trip.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:43 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Everyone can tolorate foods at a different pace. I didn’t have any problems with any food at any point. I just followed the plan And I was fine but some have a very fussy pouch. The only advice I would give is to not eat anything for the first time on vacation. No need to find out what doesn’t sit well during your trip.

yes I agree with you !!! I am not going to try new things on vacation and everything is at a different pace. A few weeks ago I couldn't do mango or pineapple this week I can smoothly. chicken is by far the worst :(

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I love that I can get the opinion of others that have gone or are going through the same thing as I.

I am 6 weeks post-op and am able to eat pretty much anything and everything....including things I really shouldn't eat. I even had fried chicken at a family gathering - a leg and a wing. It was delicious and went down WAY too easy. Fortunately, I have continued to lose weight, although probably slower than many of you. I realize my weight loss would be quicker if I stuck with just lean Protein and veggies - which I do MOST of the time - but I'm 62 yrs old and for me, the purpose of the surgery was to have a tool to help me not OVEREAT, as I have done all of my life, but still be able to enjoy my favorite foods in moderation. ALL THINGS in moderation! Fortunately, my nutritionist's plan does not exclude carbs - in fact, whole grain breads and Pasta are included and encouraged in the program I am on.

I am just so happy that I have been fortunate enough to have had an easy recovery from the surgery and absolutely none of the bad side effects. I continue to drink the protein20 waters to supplement my protein intake in order to allow me to enjoy other foods in my small tummy, and to help me with hydration - the ONE thing I still struggle with is getting my 64 oz in daily.