Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery day questions--Assistance please.

I am scheduled for surgery June 29, 2022, after almost 2 long years of going through this process. Thanks to Covid it has been put off. But now I have a date :)

I am just curious about some things, and these are questions that only people who have already been through this process and surgery can answer.

I have been seeing a lot of different time frames and I am curious how long it took your doctor to complete your surgery?

How long was your hospital stay?

How was your doctor's bedside manner?

What can I expect when I get to the hospital before surgery?

What was your biggest struggle at the hospital and at home?

When did you go back to work?

If there was one thing that you could have changed, what would it be?

What did you pack to take to the hospital?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am at the stage now that I am anxious about the surgery but feel like I have so much to do between now and then. The nervousness hasn't really hit but man am I antsy. :{

1 hour ago, nickinicole0718 said:

I am scheduled for surgery June 29, 2022, after almost 2 long years of going through this process. Thanks to Covid it has been put off. But now I have a date :)

I am just curious about some things, and these are questions that only people who have already been through this process and surgery can answer.

I have been seeing a lot of different time frames and I am curious how long it took your doctor to complete your surgery?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am at the stage now that I am anxious about the surgery but feel like I have so much to do between now and then. The nervousness hasn't really hit but man am I antsy. :{

I have been seeing a lot of different time frames and I am curious how long it took your doctor to complete your surgery? for my sleeve, Surgery was about an hour and a half or so. My surgery was at 9:30am and i was back in my room before noon

How long was your hospital stay? one night

How was your doctor's bedside manner? I did not see the doctor after surgery. his surgeon assistant saw me twice and just went over things and asked if i had any questions which i did not.

What can I expect when I get to the hospital before surgery? You go to pre op section, where they may have you strip down and for me anyway wipe myself with some special rags all over my body, put on a gown and lay in a bed where a nurse came and put an IV in my arm, Put some special stuff in my nose and just waited there to go to surgery.

What was your biggest struggle at the hospital and at home? getting out of the chair, I needed help to get up, A bed was out of the question for a few weeks.

When did you go back to work? i work from home but if i worked an actual physical job, i would want at least 2-3 weeks off

If there was one thing that you could have changed, what would it be? nothing really.

What did you pack to take to the hospital? extra set of clothes, crocs, headphones, nintendo switch, magazines, cpap machine,

1 hour ago, nickinicole0718 said:

I have been seeing a lot of different time frames and I am curious how long it took your doctor to complete your surgery? I don't remember because I was unconscious, but I remember reading the actual sleeve is like 30 minutes and the bypass is like an hour. But you are in the operating room a lot longer.

How long was your hospital stay? About 24 hours

How was your doctor's bedside manner? I only saw him right before I went into the OR. He didn't stop by after. Not a big deal. I just wanted him to do a good job in the surgery. Most surgeons aren't known for their bedside manner

What can I expect when I get to the hospital before surgery? Your hospital will tell you when to arrive. I think I had to be there a few hours before surgery - they didn't tell me what time until the day before. EDIT: sorry, misread this. I waited around in a pre-surgery waiting room, then changed in a different room and got on a gurney, then they wheeled me to the OR. Outside the OR they put an IV in and I had to sign consent again. Then they wheeled me into the OR and I had to move myself from the gurney to the operating table. They told me they would put something "spicy" in my IV and I couldn't understand what that meant, but as soon as I had that thought, I understood... then I don't remember anything until I woke up in the recovery room.

What was your biggest struggle at the hospital and at home? Swallowing my required medications and pain. Both were better by the end of the first week.

When did you go back to work? I went back to work from home after two weeks and back on the road after 4 weeks.

If there was one thing that you could have changed, what would it be? I wish I had had an abdominal binder. I thought they would give me one but they did not. It hurt so much when my stomach moved for the first week or so after surgery

What did you pack to take to the hospital? Too much - I brought extra clothes, dry mouth spray, a blanket, etc. All I needed was a change of underwear and a long phone cable. And shoes that can be slipped on easily, but I wore those

Edited by lizonaplane

The variations in answers to your questions occurs because we all heal & recover differently. For example,e, some return to work after a week, others take two or three. I took four but my energy levels were very low as was my blood pressure but my recovery is always slow.

Your surgeon may do things differently too. Like, some surgeons send their patients home that afternoon. Others say stay overnight. Mine had me stay two nights as I lived alone. I ended up staying three nights as my back went into spasm & apparently my colour was poor. Have to admit I’m glad I threw in an extra pair of pjs & knickers. Ask your surgeon about the length of the surgery, expected length of your hospital stay, what to expect when you get to the hospital, etc.

The hospital may have different prep requirements too. I had an appointment at the hospital a couple of days before, weight, height & medical records checked & had an ECG, blood test, etc. They also gave me an antibacterial wash I had to use in the shower at home the morning of my surgery & had to wash my hair with it too.

My surgeon (& his anaesthesiologist) were lovely. He always is. Joking with me as I waited outside theatre. They both saw me in recovery after surgery too. Time sort of moves weirdly because your nervous. I have no idea how long I was in the theatre waiting room but it didn’t seem long. Though it felt like ages when I was moved outside the theatre.

Make sure you get all your over the counter meds (non steroidal pain meds, Imodium, non swelling soluble fibre like Benefibre, gas X, etc.), Vitamins, a variety of shakes, broths, Soups, etc, as per your plan, herbal or green tea, some electrolyte drinks or sachets, before you go to hospital.

All the best.

06/10/2022 01:08 PM, nickinicole0718 said:

My hernia repair, gallbladder removal and gastric bypass were last Wednesday, 6/8.
I’ll try to answer your questions:
I started the process in January of this year. Surgeon suspected and diagnosed a massive hiatal hernia- 2/3 of my stomach was in my chest. It explained my shortness of breath and heartburn.
I was approved by CIGNA, surgery date was set. I was given a 6/8 surgery date on 5/16.
I researched extensively prior to selecting my surgeon. There are quite a few MDs in my family (sister, daughter, etc) and I leave no stone unturned when I research. I looked up ‘complication’ rates, everything. My surgeon’s practice is a Cigna Bariatric Center of Excellence. I am 1000% totally pleased with every aspect of the care I have received.
My doc’s personality and bedside manner is/was perfect for me. I relate well to intelligent professionals in the medical field and my doc and I communicated with very level footing. He never spoke down to me, we were very conversational and he has a great sense of humor which is an absolute must for me.
He told me my stay would be one overnight but possibly two. It did end up being 2 nights. I do not metabolize anesthesia well, and he got my nausea under control immediately when it was obvious that the usual protocol was not going to work for me.
I saw him prior to going into the OR. He was upbeat and positive as was I. He was leaving the next day on vacation and we chatted about that.
His practice has a protocol of ENHANCED RECOVERY AFTER SURGERY, and it has been a great outcome because of that.
The anesthesiologist saw me prior to surgery and he used a nerve block on each side of my abdomen an hour before surgery. He said it would last for 3 days and I believe him. I did not ever need pain meds post op. Amazing, right?
The biggest issue for me was debilitating nausea and it was addressed immediately and the outcome was positive.
My care in the hospital was five star! I could not have asked for anything better.
My husband was in my suite with me 24/7. The suites are new and resemble hotel studio suites. No kidding. Two flat screen TVs. Spotlessly clean. Everything one might need to be comfortable was there.
We checked in on 6/8 at 8am with surgery scheduled for 10:20. My doc was running ahead of schedule and he had booked the OR for 4 hours because of the extensive hernia issues. He completed the procedure in 2 hours. He told my husband it was textbook and I was a very easy patient. 🤗
My husband and everyone else whose loved ones were in surgery wait in a large area. They can follow the patients progress on a tv screen using an ID number for their loved one. It indicates pre-op, entering OR, procedure underway, procedure completed, surgeon on way to talk to family, recovery room, etc.
I’ve boarded cruise ships that didn’t have as smooth of a boarding process as WakeMed Hospital and their surgical department. LOL
I was in my room at 3:15- there was an emergency unrelated to me and I was held in recovery a little longer than is typical. Once in my room, my RN, and his nursing assistant were always there tending to me. The nausea issue developed immediately and was addressed immediately.
I have used only ice for discomfort at one laparoscopic site, and I have showered and I am walking.
I was nervous and antsy but the hospital staff was totally in control, responsive to any questions, and their manner put me and my husband at ease.
I packed very little. Extra long phone charger, toiletries, extra undies. I went home in the clothes I wore to the hospital. Thankfully I had loose shoes. I think one might expect to be bloated with Fluid and air.
The gas pain scenario that most seem to mention was not an issue for me. My husband would rub my back and ‘burp’ me…lol…for every burp I had, my husband would burp 6 times. 🤣😂 Seriously.
Ask me anything you want to know. And good luck to you,

What I learned on this forum. Everyone has their own experience. You will have your own. I don’t think anyone is alike at all.

My surgery took forever. My family was seriously worry. It started at 130pm and got to recovery at 830pm.

I stayed In the hospital for 3 days.

My doctor came and saw me. I was very well taken care of.

I arrived to the hospital like 1030am. Surgery was scheduled at 12pm. I arrived and had to register and check in. Then they had me strip naked and wear hospital robe and put all my stuff away.

Struggle at the hospital is making that first urination. I just couldn’t urine laying in bed. I had to use the bathroom. Once I did I was up every 2 hours using the bathroom. I had bunch of machines on me. So it was annoying. Being home so far is putting eating a drinking in order and I’m schedule. I’m still struggling with it.

I took two weeks off and I will than be working from home for a month. I will be going into the office afterwards.

I packed my phone charger and a change of comfy clothes. Loose clothing you want nothing tight on when u leave to go home.

Hope this helps but again you will have your own story and experience best of luck.

How long it took your doctor to complete your surgery? About 2 hours. I had a routine RNY.

How long was your hospital stay? I stayed for 3 days.

How was your doctor's bedside manner? My doctor and his PA were great. They answered all my questions.

What can I expect when I get to the hospital before surgery? I arrive at 7:15am for a 9:30am surgery. Get there when your surgeon says NOT when the hospital tells you. If I had listened to the hospital I would've missed my surgery completely! The put 2 iv's in me, 1 in each hand, different sizes. Just in case one blew out. I saw my surgeon, anesthesiologist, and the nurse that would be in the operating room. Once I was taken back to pre-op it all happened very quickly.

What was your biggest struggle at the hospital and at home? Realizing my limits. This is MAJOR SURGERY! Give your body grace and allow it time to heal.

When did you go back to work? A little over 4 weeks post-op

If there was one thing that you could have changed, what would it be? Nothing. I'm content with how things have gone so far.

What did you pack to take to the hospital? I packed an extra long phone charging cord, toiletries, book, some crosswords, I downloaded some movies to my phone in case the wifi wasn't dependable. I wore loose clothing and crocs to the hospital, wore the hospital gown at the hospital(in case i bled or got sick- better their gown then my clothes), and wore the same clothes to come home. I found that between sleeping, walking(they were pretty clear they wanted me up as fast and as often as I felt capable) and drinking slowly the TV in the room was extra enough. Oh and chapstick! That will really help with any dry mouth! Eye drops will help if your eyes get irritated easily.

I think that's everything.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am curious how long it took your doctor to complete your surgery?

My surgery took about 2.5hours I think. I had thr SADI-S and I was one of my surgeon's first patients for that procedure.

I stayed 4 nights. I had pretty bad nausea and some vomiting. My husband just had the same surgery with my surgeon and they are better at managing the nausea now since they've done this surgery a lot more since I had mine 2 years ago. He only stayed 2 nights.

My doctor has a fantastic bedside manner. He is very down to earth a personable.

They will check you in, then you will go to a room and have you change into a gown and then the nurse will come in and start your IV. The surgeon will come in and discuss the procedure and also anesthesia.

I had a lot of nausea in the hospital. I never had a lot of pain. Once I was home, my biggest struggle was drinking the Protein Shakes because my taste changed and they were so gross.

I was not working at the time of my surgery.

I would have done it a LONG LONG time ago!

I packed a change of clothes, a book, my phone and charger, my own pillow, and Aquaphor for my lips.

Good luck on your surgery! It will go by fast!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app