Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Surgery Buddies!

1 hour ago, tranquil_chaos said:

Hey everyone! I’m finishing up my Post Op Day 1, I had surgery yesterday. Pain was pretty bad yesterday, but managed with the IV medication that starts with a D (I’ve already forgotten the name). All I had by mouth yesterday was ice chips. Very tired. Walked around my room a few hours after being post-op recovery. Took loop around the floor later that evening. Didn’t sleep at all at night because they literally were in my room doing tests at all hours of the night. I was also very nauseous so they gave me zofran and I never vomited.

Day 2 started with only ice chips until after my barium swallow study was complete. That barium Fluid tasted exactly like what Harry made Dumbledore drink during the lake scene. Never have I ever tasted anything like that. My bowels took forever, so I didn’t start on Clear Liquids until late afternoon. 1 oz per 30 minutes. Lots of gurgling!!!

Much less pain by the afternoon Day 2. They took me off the IV pain med and moved me to Percocet pills and they last longer in the system so that’s good.

My surgery was at 7:30am so I’ll have been in the hospital Tuesday, Wednesday and at least the morning of Thursday. Looking forward to going home even though this hospital is so nice (it’s brand new with it’s only bariatric wing).

i did a week of strict Optifast shakes only and did a self prescribed bowel prep because I have horrible constipation and I wanted all that out before surgery. I lost 11 pounds in that week, so I was down to 251.1 on my surgery date.

full liquid starting tomorrow. They want me to have 3 portions of 2 oz per day. There is no way I’ll come close to my Protein goals.

let me know if you have any questions!

So wonderful to hear your procedure went smoothly! My surgery prep team already talked to me about having a patch in place for nausea, so I'm hoping I won't have that issue. I have also been pre-self care about Constipation by taking a Dulcolax chewable every other day. Being on Clear Liquids, there isn't a lot remaining after so many days and I have 7 left to go. I'm hoping this regimen will ensure no constipation after surgery.

Keep us informed on your progress! :D

It’s been a week since my gastric sleevectomy, and all things considered, things have progressed fairly smoothly. The procedure went down without a hitch. I was up walking around that afternoon. The most pain I experienced was from the incision where they pulled the stomach out (it’s been a full week, and it is still a bit sore, but definitely much better…,hold on to your side if you have to cough or sneeze).

It was strange to drink from the one ounce cups at first (you know it’s coming, but until you have to, it’s hard to appreciate it fully). It is definitely a different feeling when the stomach fills up so fast with so little Fluid, but it is real.

Since I’ve been home, everyday gets a little bit better. The pain in my side is going away, I’m able to get outside to walk a couple miles each day (not all at once, but working my way back up), and it’s getting easier to feel when I’m getting full as I’m drinking my Protein Shakes. (I will say that I am looking forward to the end of next week when I hit the purée portion of the diet and can enjoy the taste of “solid” food.)

Hi all, looks like I’m late to the party :) but my surgery is scheduled for Aug 24th. I started my liquid diet last Wednesday so on day six. It consists of 4 Ensure High Protein Shakes for a daily total of 640 cal… hard to believe I can consume so little and still not be hungry but that’s a good thing. Still, can’t wait for surgery day to get here.

I’m lucky as my wife had the surgery in 2015 and is an awesome role model and source of info and support!

On 7/17/2022 at 6:30 PM, ECarr352 said:

My date is August1!! I can’t wait to begin the next chapter of life! I’m only 44, but you know what I mean 😁

Happy to report since my surgery date on 8/1, it’s 8/15 and I’m down 22lbs. First night in the hospital was brutal getting woken up every couple of hours for vitals and blood work. Not a whole lot of rest. Luckily, I was able to come the next day. Started my liquid diet and haven’t had any issues with any of my “meals”. On week 3 now and introduced an egg and still no issues. Toughest part is still getting in all the Water that’s recommended. I hope all you other August surgery buddies are doing well!!