Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to Pack for hospital?

I need tips on what to pack for the hospital.

I’m meeting with the surgeon for the last time Thursday so hopefully he’ll give me tips but I’d like to hear from those who have had the surgery.

Have y’all heard about fart pads?! Are those necessary Lol 😆

Edited by Songbyrd420

You really don’t need to take much. I always wear the same outfit home that I wore to the hospital. You aren’t gonna be in them for very long the day of your surgery.
Chapstick, phone charger, toothbrush & toothpaste, brush or comb, your own pillow, slip on sandals or shoes & a maybe a robe
You really aren’t gonna feel like even reading & your probably only going to be there for 2 nights at the most.

Good luck! It is an exciting time!
Don’t forget to take some before pictures!

Edited by toodlerue

I took my glasses, my phone, my Kindle to read (I read all night lol), a charger for both, my CPAP machine, deodorant, toothpaste/brush, and bluetooth earbuds.

I wore slip on shoes, light sweatpants, and a button up shirt, because I knew they'd have me walking the halls that night.

The hospital did end up providing toiletries, so I took those for nothing.

Edited by Edge13

Both of my surgeries I brought a bunch of things, both times I didn't use anything.

They kept telling me to bring my CPAP machine - I never even plugged it in. I had to get up every two hours to walk around anyway.

I brought my tablet to play games and/or read books - never even turned it on

I brought my phone which I didn't use the first time, the second time I used it for about 10 minutes to video chat with my kids

I brought a puzzle book to work on - never took it out of the bag

No, you won't need charcoal pads. Bring phone and charger if you're tech-dependent. That's really about it. You'll be home before you know it. Best wishes for your surgery!

5 hours ago, Tufflaw said:

Both of my surgeries I brought a bunch of things, both times I didn't use anything.

They kept telling me to bring my CPAP machine - I never even plugged it in. I had to get up every two hours to walk around anyway.

I brought my tablet to play games and/or read books - never even turned it on

I brought my phone which I didn't use the first time, the second time I used it for about 10 minutes to video chat with my kids

I brought a puzzle book to work on - never took it out of the bag

I had to have my parents bring my cpap to the hospital lol. Reason was because while in the recliner i kept falling asleep and then my O2 saturation would dive down and alarms kept going off lol They ended up having to put me on oxygen until the cpap arrived.

I agree - not much. Most people sleep most of them time, and you'll be on your way home before you know it. Comfy clothes that are easy to put on (I just wore the same clothes I wore to the hospital). Phone and charger. I brought toiletries but shouldn't have bothered -- the hospital gave me a bag of them. Some people have dry mouth after surgery and like having Chapstick and/or Biotene spray. Other than that ...???

I brought a big bag of stuff to keep me entertained, Book, magazines, nintendo switch and so on. Never used any. Slept and walked most of the time. A pair of headphones are nice tho to listen to music or to put on a white noise app to sleep better.

As someone who’s had multiple hospital stays (not just bariatric)- phone charger, medical cards, socks, shoes, glasses if you need them, and comfortable clothes. If you need anything else they’ll likely be able to provide it even chapstick.

The less you take the less they have to catalog and the less you’re likely to forget upon discharge.