Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How was everyone's Labor Day Weekend?

Last weekend through this weekend I actually started doing things with people outside of my home where I was away from home long enough I needed to bring food with me. So far two of my outings were at my friends' homes so it was easy for me to warm up my food. One friend was making kabobs and I had a sliced up grilled mushroom, it was HEAVEN.

I've decided that when people get together for bonfires/drinks that drinking Protein 2 O has really worked well for me, I get a big drink to sip and it makes me feel full. Then, I can just enjoy my friends and conversation.

I'm down another few pounds since my first post with you guys, which is about right. 8 weeks post surgery and next week I get to have "easy to chew" foods! I think other plans call that soft foods! I'm pumped.

I've actually been getting more adventurous with my foods - tried some cottage cheese with a few blueberries last night. I'm also eating cooked green Beans as a "side".

I still eat pretty small portions, sticking to my 1/4c which is the amount I'm supposed to eat while I'm in this "mashed foods" stage, which lasts a whole month, but like I said before - its almost over!! Next week - easy to chew foods, yay!

Oh! I also ate at a restaurant last week, that was a huge deal for me. I ate an appetizer portion of ahi tuna (without the wonton crisps), I got all the flavor of the spicy mayo and the soy sauce, which made it super tasty. I also ate some roasted cauliflower (like 3 bites) and a parmesan crusted shrimp (I removed most of the crust), it was so good!

Now that I've eaten outside of my home, in a restaurant and at friends' homes, I feel a bit more confident and less anxious than I have since surgery, I've been so anxious about fitting in when I can't really eat anymore. I don't have gluttonous friends that are food pushers or anything like that though.

I'm hungry a lot and its not mental hunger its true hunger - I think its because I'm so scared of accidentally eating to much and making myself sick. I absolutely hate throwing up and I'll do anything to avoid it! I did push past that and have 1/2 c of cottage cheese instead of just a 1/4 c yesterday and my tummy liked it!

Thanks for sharing all your stories and experiences, keep sharing!!

Hey all - I guess I'm 8 weeks post-op. I haven't been on in a while, so I thought I'd check in.

I have now lost 38 lbs since surgery. When I include the 3-4 months pre-op, I've lost a total of 66 lbs, which puts me at the halfway point to my goal weight of 185.

I've thrown the menu out. Okay, I exaggerated. I still have the menu--somewhere, but can't remember when I looked at it last. I am eating right, avoiding breads, carbs, sugars, fat, etc. I still log my food daily. I take my Vitamins, watch calories, and make sure to get 90 grams of Protein and 64 oz of fluids.

The only complaint I have at this time is recurring heartburn, which I have been taking care of with some Alka-seltzer chews. I think I'm going to try some over the counter Nexium next.

Hope all of you July Peeps are doing awesome!

Hey Kevin,

See if you can get some Omiprazole. I was having horrid heartburn and my doc told me to take 20 mg of Omiprazole. He said if its bad, I can take it 2X per day. He also told me to I could use tums if needed. Don't drink coffee or have any sort of chocolate. my heartburn is now under control. I'm hoping it stays that way because I'm seeing people here that are getting revisions to bypass due to heartburn. I didn't want bypass, that's why I had the sleeve. I didn't know heartburn was an issue with the sleeve (especially since I rarely had it before). Apparently it is an issue due to high pressure caused by the sleeve (but supposedly only a few get it). I pray you can get yours under control. Also taking Omiprazole/Prilosec long term is not good for your bones either.

2 minutes ago, MsGina said:

Hey Kevin,

See if you can get some Omiprazole.

How are you doing MsGina?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the pharmacy. My heart burn isn't horrible, but it recurs often, mostly in the evening. I'm eating right, but there are times I forget and eat a bit too much or a bit too fast, and that's when it hits me.

I had chronic acid reflux years ago, but it got better when I quit smoking 13+ years ago. The Alkaseltser chews help, But I'll check out the OTC heartburn stuff and talk to the surgeon about it at my next visit.

Good idea Kevin. I'm doing ok. I haven't lost but maybe a pound in the last 2 weeks. It's a bit frustrating but I suppose I'm hitting my 3 week stall a little late. I have lost a total of 28 lbs since surgery. I want more to come off. I need to relax and let the process work. I'm eating right and I exercising. It seems that I stall when I start exercising. I'm talking about walking mostly 2 miles + a day. I did kill my self by doing half squats and some light weigh arm exercises. Boy am I out of shape.

I'm voting for the Omeprazole as well. My surgeon actually prescribed it to me for 90 days after surgery, so I'm still taking it. Its because our little stomachs aren't just little, but at first they produce more acid that is needed for how much we eat/the size of our stomachs.

I had chronic acid reflux for many years and a GI doctor had me take the equivalent of 2 Nexium, 2x a day and Calcium since esomeprazole (Nexium) can hurt the absorption of calcium by our bones.

I had a hernia repaired during my gastric sleeve surgery, too and they said that was what was probably causing my reflux all those years.

Since surgery I haven't had any reflux and I've been taking my omeprazole daily. Omeprazole isn't as strong esomeprazole (Nexium). I'm a little scared of getting heartburn/reflux when I'm done with my 90 days of omeprazole, but my nurse said if I'm eating the foods and amounts I'm supposed to eat and still get heartburn more than once a week she'll put me back on omeprazole.

The reason she doesn't just keep me on omeprazole is as our stomach heals, it does start producing the right amount of acid and the right amount of acid helps us digest more things (like getting back to "normal foods"). Anyway, so the nurse said to try to not take it after 90 days so our bodies can fully utilize the new acid, haha.

Obviously, I'm not my surgeon or my nurse, I just wanted to agree with omeprazole as something to try, but not for too long ?!?!?!

20 hours ago, MissMerryberry said:

The reason she doesn't just keep me on omeprazole is as our stomach heals, it does start producing the right amount of acid and the right amount of acid helps us digest more things (like getting back to "normal foods"). Anyway, so the nurse said to try to not take it after 90 days so our bodies can fully utilize the new acid, haha.

Obviously, I'm not my surgeon or my nurse, I just wanted to agree with omeprazole as something to try, but not for too long ?!?!?!

Thanks - I didn't get to the store yesterday but I will this afternoon.

The two "O" words are hard to tell apart and un-pronouncable (is that even a word?).

The surgeon had given me a 30-day prescription for the esomeprazole (Nexium), and I told him at the 5 weeks post-op I didn't think it was bad enough to get another prescription. I probably should have taken him up on it. But, I would get something over the counter if it continued.

I think I will try the Prilosec over the Nexium. I think I read that it might not last as long, but it might also work faster.

Hi Katrina! My surgery date was July 28. How have things been for you? My surgeon put me on “all foods” at 4 weeks post op and I’ve been feeling great, tolerating healthy foods. Down 21lbs. I hope you are doing well too!

Edited by Missfreespeech

1 minute ago, Bridge1967 said:

Hi, miss! I've only lost 20 lbs too. Thought I was the only one. Lots of people are talking about 30 lbs+.

It really depends on your starting weight. The more you have to lose, the more you will lose at first. I have only lost 29 lbs since surgery and that puts me at 201. I had a 2.5 week stall and am only now loosing a pound a week. It's frustrating cuz I did better with Keto but now I can't really just give up. I can't eat that much. I know from reading other posts that it will pick up again.

I seem to be going steady at 2 pounds a week. I’m happy with that. I know if I got more exercise it would pick up. The more I lose the more energy I get and the stronger I feel and the more i feel like moving. I am one of those people that feels strong hunger so that’s a challenge but other than that, I don’t have stomach issues and eat anything even spicy foods. I ate 1/4 cup of curry last night for dinner to treat myself.

1 hour ago, Bridge1967 said:

Oh, I was at almost the same start Wright! I was 229. Had my surgery 7-12. I'm at 209 right now. Really hoping to get under 200 by Halloween.

You'll be there for sure