Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with being unable to eat

It feels completely rediculous putting this into words but its how I’m feeling.
im about a month post op and I have had a good experience overall. Nothing ive tried so far has made me sick, im losing pretty steadily.
but i have heavy restriction, i can eat like 1.5 oz

today was a really bad, hard day and i am just feeling so overwhelmed and frustrated with life and upset that i can’t have a meal. That i can’t find comfort in food.
this is the first time ive really come to terms with my food addiction. Im desperately wanting to just eat and my body wont tolerate it so i wont even try so its just making me feel sad and upset.
i know its stupid and crazy. I just needed to get it out 😞

Aawwww big hugs, it gets better it really does. Just do what you can food wise to help me through these stages I had things like KFC mash and gravy, chocolate mousse kids yoghurts and stuff like that. Staying on soft foods longer isn't a bad thing if your tummy isn't ready for the next stage . I was at the 4 month mark before I could comfortably eat real food and I even had days where I couldnt. At this point you are eating such tiny amounts that having things slightly higher in calories isn't going to hurt your weight loss. I know a lot will disagree with that but it worked for me. The restriction lessens so take advantage of it while you can.

Have you tried popsicles? Give it a shot. Helps with the need for chewing and helps get your fluids in.

8 hours ago, Brittneykdelacruz said:

It feels completely rediculous putting this into words but its how I’m feeling.
im about a month post op and I have had a good experience overall. Nothing ive tried so far has made me sick, im losing pretty steadily.
but i have heavy restriction, i can eat like 1.5 oz

today was a really bad, hard day and i am just feeling so overwhelmed and frustrated with life and upset that i can’t have a meal. That i can’t find comfort in food.
this is the first time ive really come to terms with my food addiction. Im desperately wanting to just eat and my body wont tolerate it so i wont even try so its just making me feel sad and upset.

No, not ridiculous at all. Now is the time to start working on how you can comfort yourself in other ways besides food.

I like to hug my very big polar bear. I love perfumes so I bought myself a bottle of Jovan musk. Maybe finding a psychologist to talk to or see a dietician about new food choices. What would be something positive for you to do as a distraction/ Exercise like walking will help to ease your appetite unless you are truly hungry. It's a good thing that tomorrow is a new day and time for a new start.

This isnt ridiculous at all. Going through a surgery like this one disrupts our normal routines and things we use for comfort. I am trying to find things I enjoy-like taking longer walks while listening to my favorite music, indulging in some nicer shower products, reading a favorite book, instead of turning towards food. I also recommend a therapist to talk to. Sometimes opening up about what makes us overeat or turn to food to a therapist helps us identify the feelings/emotions behind them and how we can cope better.

Doesn’t sound silly at all. You are going through so many changes in such a short time. It’s a lot!! Good news is it sounds like you are healing as expected so you are free to work on some new behaviors. I agree that a therapist would be a great deal of help in identifying when and why we turn to food and finding other ways to deal with those situations.

12 hours ago, Brittneykdelacruz said:

Not stupid, not crazy, and I'm glad you got it out. This is a great time to learn to indulge and comfort yourself with things/rituals not involving food. (A new down pillow with heavenly linen spray was my big comfort splurge right after surgery.)

That's not silly at all. I wish I had that must restriction. I'm 4 weeks out, as well, and I can eat 3 ounces of food per meal, which I don't like. But it'll get better. I was told that as time goes on, you can eat more. But our stomachs are still healing, and some take longer than others. Look at the wins you're having when you start feeling down. Remind yourself that you can eat without any issues, remember the weight you're losing, focus on how your body is feeling and moving. This is a good thing, although I know food addiction is a beast. You can do this :)

10 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

Not stupid, not crazy, and I'm glad you got it out. This is a great time to learn to indulge and comfort yourself with things/rituals not involving food. (A new down pillow with heavenly linen spray was my big comfort splurge right after surgery.)

That sounds really nice!

1 hour ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

That's not silly at all. I wish I had that must restriction. I'm 4 weeks out, as well, and I can eat 3 ounces of food per meal, which I don't like. But it'll get better. I was told that as time goes on, you can eat more. But our stomachs are still healing, and some take longer than others. Look at the wins you're having when you start feeling down. Remind yourself that you can eat without any issues, remember the weight you're losing, focus on how your body is feeling and moving. This is a good thing, although I know food addiction is a beast. You can do this :)

Thank you! My meal plan shows around 3oz per meal is where we should be. 2 oz meat and 1oz something else

this evening i tried 2oz chicken and 1oz steamed carrots. I got like 1.2 oz chicken down and 1/3 of my carrots

just keeping on. Today is better than yesterday though ❤️

It does stink. It’s sort of grieving the way we used to eat, and the comfort it provided.

It does get better. For example, I still come home from work and snack crackers, just wheat ones and fewer crackers. I still get my chocolate fix, just from calcium chews and occasionally Sugar Free Chocolate. Rarely I do have a “stress eat” moment…but I choose something very healthy and the restriction prevents me from overdoing it. This is all working, as the weight keeps coming off.

Your life will get better as your body heals. You’ll be able to blend in with other eaters, just in a healthy way. food will provide comfort again, just not in the type and amount from pre-surgery. It’s a terrific tool!

Don't ever say it is ridiculous, it is not ever. We all have feelings and it is so healthy to express them and get them out. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool. This is a journey and like all of us who are where you are or past where you are or even those just starting like me. We have all feel, we all care and to express those feelings is courageous. What you are doing takes courage and strength. I will bet that most people have felt like you do and don't say anything, at least you have the courage to say hey my friends I am feeling frustrated. So keep going.

I am about 4 years out from a sleeve, and I still have sad times from not being able to eat. It doesn't happen as much as it used to in the beginning. But food addiction is a real thing and it doesn't just go away because you have surgery.

And it takes care not to transfer that addiction to something else because the food isn't there anymore.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using BariatricPal mobile app