Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! I’m new here and I just had my surgery on 5/26/22. I’ve been overweight for the majority of my life, and I’ve been eager to start this journey by getting to know others who have done the same. My dad got gastric bypass and was able to keep the weight off, but he got it done a long time ago. So his advice is a little outdated.
One thing I’ve noticed is that people keep emphasizing how good I’ll look once I lose weight. And it kinda sucks bc I didn’t do this for that. Sure, it helps. But I did it because I want to be healthier.
Rambling aside, the only issues I have right now are maintaining my fluids and Protein. And the gas. How was everyone else’s first couple of days? Any advice for a newbie?

To relief the gas they say just keep walking and just make sure you sip your drinks your still at the early stages it takes a while for it to settle down good luck with your progress

Just keep up the tiny sips and lots of walking. That’s basically your job for the next however many days it takes until the gas has passed and you are able to get your fluids in.

I recall my nurse telling me that in beginning it's impossible to get all of your Protein in the beginning b/c the intake is so small. Like others said, just keep sipping to stay hydrated. Good luck!!!

Ive seen some say a heating pad helps as well. I had the gas pains as well but I dont think mine was as bad as some of the others on here have experienced. I considered myself very fortunate. My whole process has been good other than the weight loss portion but thats another story lol

I’ll add deep, slow breathing & leg raising exercises to push the gas up & out. You’ll probably find in the next day or so most of it will be gone.

At this stage as long as you’re close to reaching your Fluid & Protein goals each day you’ll be okay. It gets easier. And it doesn’t matter if you’re low today as long as you about there tomorrow. Sip slowly & often. I still drink throughout the night to ensure I meet my fluid goal.

You’ll get there.

Edited by Arabesque

Seven days post-op and yes the walking will relieve the gas pains but then I find my left side KILLING me if I walk too much so what are you supposed to do? I don't want to take pain medication and then walk (kinda defeats the purpose). When does this pain in my side go away?

Walking helped me a lot and staying on top of the pain/gas meds. I was fortunate to not have horrible gas pains, but it’s think that’s bc they were so bad with my last C-section, that these seemed less intense. It will get better. You can do this. Keep your head up! You can do it!! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and instead of looking at the big picture, take one day at a time. 💜

A heating pad definitely helped me as did gentle abdominal massage (you can google it, there's a really good technique that uses the fingertips). I also got up and walked as much as possible to stay active. I set a timer on my phone as reminders to sip Protein Drinks and Water. The first week is bumpy, but it gets better! Good luck with your recovery!

43 minutes ago, Sunshine Princess said:

A heating pad definitely helped me as did gentle abdominal massage (you can google it, there's a really good technique that uses the fingertips). I also got up and walked as much as possible to stay active. I set a timer on my phone as reminders to sip Protein Drinks and Water. The first week is bumpy, but it gets better! Good luck with your recovery!

My mom has been super supportive with me throughout this whole experience. Unfortunately, I think she bought me a Protein Shake that’s too high in sugar/carbs. Every time I sip it, I feel sick. And I feel really bad because she bought it in BULK.

3 minutes ago, Strivingfor5K said:

My mom has been super supportive with me throughout this whole experience. Unfortunately, I think she bought me a Protein Shake that’s too high in sugar/carbs. Every time I sip it, I feel sick. And I feel really bad because she bought it in BULK.

I had one of those and I just thinned it with some Water which was kind of a win since I ended up getting in a little more water at a time.

I bought some baby gas medicine and that along with walking helped tremendously. I didn’t use a heating pad but my sweet dog had been snuggly so that feels good. 🤣.

How are you doing now?