Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone. My surgery is scheduled for June 2, and I’m on Day 11 of my 2-week liver shrink diet. It’s been an enormous challenge, and I did have a slip up yesterday (I ate a Breakfast burrito in a moment of weakness), but have otherwise stuck to the diet perfectly. These past 11 days have really put things into perspective, and I can’t help but think about all of the food I’m not going to be able to eat for such a long time. I’ve been having a lot of thoughts like, “Why put yourself through this just to be skinny? You’ll be so unhappy if you can’t eat pizza or tater tots or cinnamon rolls.” I know that I am not going to back out of the surgery, but I hate that I’m feeling this way. I had a little breakdown this morning and cried - I think I was mourning the end of my messed up relationship with food, as strange as that sounds. It was very therapeutic. I’m not sure I ever really understood the depth of my food addiction until now. Is anyone else going through anything similar? Or has anyone else? I would love to know I’m not alone.

you won't have to give up those foods forever. After a few months, you'll be able to eat them again - just in smaller portions and not as often. I can eat 1-2 pieces of pizza at one sitting now (as opposed to half a large pizza). TBH, that's about what many of my never-been-obese women friends eat (and yes - I've also eaten tater tots and cinnamon rolls. But I don't make it a regular thing...)

also, no way in h*ll would I ever want to go back to where I was. If I have to be careful about what I eat the rest of my life, so be it. I am SO much happier now without that extra 200 lbs!!!!

On 05/29/2022 at 12:11, catwoman7 said:

you won't have to give up those foods forever. After a few months, you'll be able to eat them again - just in smaller portions and not as often. I can eat 1-2 pieces of pizza at one sitting now (as opposed to half a large pizza). TBH, that's about what many of my never-been-obese women friends eat (and yes - I've also eaten tater tots and cinnamon rolls. But I don't make it a regular thing...)

also, no way in h*ll would I ever want to go back to where I was. If I have to be careful about what I eat the rest of my life, so be it. I am SO much happier now without that extra 200 lbs!!!!

I needed to hear this! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on losing 200 lbs! Every time I walk up the stairs and get out of breath I am reminded why I am doing this, and I know every sacrifice will be worth it in the long run. It’s all just very difficult!

Hopefully you will not miss that food while you cannot eat it, just after surgery I could be close and smelling the foods that I liked a lot and I just did not feel like eating the, not even tasting them.

I do not know how it will be after but my taste has changed, there were things I liked a lot and now I cannot have and I do not enjoy, and there are things I did not like and I can eat now.

So maybe you will not even miss them.

Bear in mind that you're likely experiencing withdrawals from sugar and additives addiction. The liver-shrinking diet is the worst bit. food FOMO seems to really hit some people, but honestly, it's not a scary punitive life on the other side. I'm 8 months out, and can have a bite of things I used to love, but they no longer have a hold on me like they once did, so I can enjoy the bite, and not want another. Unsweetened Soy lattes are my treat, and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. My brain will still acknowledge something delicious looking that isn't good for me, but my stomach won't want it. I just point it out to my partner with a "wow, how amazing does that look!" and move on. It's honestly been liberating.

That said, some folks do need a bariatric therapist to push through their relationship with food and disordered eating. If you're really struggling, talk to someone who can help.

Hey everyone. My surgery is scheduled for June 2, and I’m on Day 11 of my 2-week liver shrink diet. It’s been an enormous challenge, and I did have a slip up yesterday (I ate a Breakfast burrito in a moment of weakness), but have otherwise stuck to the diet perfectly. These past 11 days have really put things into perspective, and I can’t help but think about all of the food I’m not going to be able to eat for such a long time. I’ve been having a lot of thoughts like, “Why put yourself through this just to be skinny? You’ll be so unhappy if you can’t eat pizza or tater tots or cinnamon rolls.” I know that I am not going to back out of the surgery, but I hate that I’m feeling this way. I had a little breakdown this morning and cried - I think I was mourning the end of my messed up relationship with food, as strange as that sounds. It was very therapeutic. I’m not sure I ever really understood the depth of my food addiction until now. Is anyone else going through anything similar? Or has anyone else? I would love to know I’m not alone.
I had SAME thoughts! But you know what? Once you start dropping the pounds fast, it changes your mindset, and its EASY to eat what your dietician recommends. Its easier to eat healthy, and choose better options. Because you will "see" that you do not want to go back to before surgery. And yes, i cheat, had a slice of pizza, these heavy foods, give you stomach pain because of the high carbs/fats and you learn to not crave them and eat much less of junk. I had my RNY on Nov 2021, down 107lbs, and you will love it! Keep us updated! You got this!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 05/30/2022 at 03:40, Smanky said:

Bear in mind that you're likely experiencing withdrawals from sugar and additives addiction. The liver-shrinking diet is the worst bit. food FOMO seems to really hit some people, but honestly, it's not a scary punitive life on the other side. I'm 8 months out, and can have a bite of things I used to love, but they no longer have a hold on me like they once did, so I can enjoy the bite, and not want another. Unsweetened Soy lattes are my treat, and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. My brain will still acknowledge something delicious looking that isn't good for me, but my stomach won't want it. I just point it out to my partner with a "wow, how amazing does that look!" and move on. It's honestly been liberating.

That said, some folks do need a bariatric therapist to push through their relationship with food and disordered eating. If you're really struggling, talk to someone who can help.

I really hope I have the same experience as you! I am fully committed to this change, I would just really like for it to be easier rather than such an emotional struggle. I really appreciate you sharing your experience 🧡

On 05/30/2022 at 07:55, cheryl o said:

I had SAME thoughts! But you know what? Once you start dropping the pounds fast, it changes your mindset, and its EASY to eat what your dietician recommends. Its easier to eat healthy, and choose better options. Because you will "see" that you do not want to go back to before surgery. And yes, i cheat, had a slice of pizza, these heavy foods, give you stomach pain because of the high carbs/fats and you learn to not crave them and eat much less of junk. I had my RNY on Nov 2021, down 107lbs, and you will love it! Keep us updated! You got this!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Such a relief to know someone else experienced these same thoughts! Congratulations on your weight loss!

I know this feeling. I'm going through it now. I blame it on my hormones and my cycle about to start. I want everything sweet, but I'm sticking to my pre-op diet. I'll be able to have it again...just not right now! You are almost there. Wishing you the best on the 2nd! I'll be joining your bench on the 15th! 🙂

On 05/31/2022 at 14:55, apop said:

I know this feeling. I'm going through it now. I blame it on my hormones and my cycle about to start. I want everything sweet, but I'm sticking to my pre-op diet. I'll be able to have it again...just not right now! You are almost there. Wishing you the best on the 2nd! I'll be joining your bench on the 15th! 🙂

Hang in there! Physically (like hunger, headaches, etc) it gets easier. For me, emotionally, it’s only gotten worse the closer I’ve neared to my surgery date 😂 I’ve never been very good at dieting - I always get emotional and moody!

I have been eating like crazy waiting for my insurance approval. I know my relationship with food isn’t great. I’m pretty sure I’m a sugar addict! I know how you feel and I’m not backing out either. I know things are going to change but feeling better is my goal. I feel downright awful with the weight I’m carrying. Portion Control is the name of the game and I think chewing slowly helps me enjoy food better. Good luck with your surgery!

On 5/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, karmaleeta said:

i just wanted to see how everything went with your surgery and how you are feeling now post op. i have the same concerns as you did . i’m so glad you brought this up so many people acknowledge the difficulties of food addiction. reading everyone comments is so helpful. hope all is well

On 5/30/2022 at 3:40 AM, Smanky said:

I'm 8 months out, and can have a bite of things I used to love, but they no longer have a hold on me like they once did, so I can enjoy the bite, and not want another.

yes!! This! This is exactly what i hope to achieve after surgery.

Thank you for these amazing words!