Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone suddenly get new food allergies after surgery?

So I discovered I have a brand spanking new allergy to shellfish. I had a weird rash on Monday and Tuesday. I couldn't figure it out, and then Wednesday it hit me. I started taking my krill oil supplement again (I always took it before with no issues at all, and my surgeon recommended it again once I hit 3 weeks post op). So since there had never been any issues with it in the past, I didn't even consider it an issue when the rash started.

Anyway, on Wednesday I remembered it and decided to take it out of my pills and see how things go. Lo and behold, no rash. No redness, no itching, nothing. So I looked it up and the rash/hives are part of an allergic reaction to shellfish (and krill oil pills are made from krill which are shellfish). I read those allergies can happen at any time, but when they do, you always need an epi pen with you because the more times it happens, the worse the reactions will be, and a shellfish allergy is one that never goes away, no matter when it starts.

I reached out to my primary doctor and she is having me come in for blood work and a skin test for allergies. She's also prescribing me an epi pen, because the 2nd time I took the supplement my tongue was tingly and numb and my throat felt a little tight for a bit. Has this happened to anyone? I've never had a food allergy ever in my life, and now I suddenly get a big one? What the heck???

I did not develop a food allergy, although we were warned about it in a class. A lot of people apparently end up lactose intolerant also. I was very worried about becoming lactose intolerant as I love milk and cheese. haha I guess I dodged that bullet.

Buuuttt, I seem to have developed seasonal allergies since surgery. No idea if it is a coincidence or what but regardless it hit hard after surgery and I have NEVER been allergic to anything. Apparently pollen gets me now.

No allergies but some foods I just cannot tolerate at all. I just cannot eat lettuce or salad for some reason. It does not sit well and comes up shortly after. Same with Broccoli...and I am a lover of broccoli.

So so weird. I wonder what it is about the surgery that causes this.

13 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

So so weird. I wonder what it is about the surgery that causes this.

I agree, it is weird.

I now have an intolerance to eggs whereas I didnt before surgery. . I cannot stand eggs in any way, shape, or form now. They don't sit well with me, make me very nauseous, and give me a headache. Before, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, soft poached eggs, eggs over easy were all my jam. Now? Nope.

My PCP called me in an epi pen. I removed the supplements from my med holder in less than an hour later I broke out horribly, was nauseaus, and had a headache. She's also referring me to an allergist. This is really making me mad because I LOVE seafood. Crabs, lobster, crawfish, shrimp, fish, etc.... She told me to avoid all seafood until the allergist can pinpoint specifically what all I'm allergic to. Is it all shellfish, certain shellfish, all seafood, etc... So so bummed. Was looking forward to going to Red Lobster on my birthday on June 16th because it's the day I'm officially allowed to eat solids, and I have been dreaming about thier crab legs and stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with cheese and crab meat). I could cry :(

5 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

My PCP called me in an epi pen. I removed the supplements from my med holder in less than an hour later I broke out horribly, was nauseaus, and had a headache. She's also referring me to an allergist. This is really making me mad because I LOVE seafood. Crabs, lobster, crawfish, shrimp, fish, etc.... She told me to avoid all seafood until the allergist can pinpoint specifically what all I'm allergic to. Is it all shellfish, certain shellfish, all seafood, etc... So so bummed. Was looking forward to going to Red Lobster on my birthday on June 16th because it's the day I'm officially allowed to eat solids, and I have been dreaming about thier crab legs and stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with cheese and crab meat). I could cry :(

Don't freak out yet, you could be allergic to a specific shell fish like you mentioned.

My friend is allergic to oysters, clams and scallops ONLY. She can eat any other seafood.

Haven’t heard of anyone developing a seafood or shell fish allergy post surgery but developing an allergy or intolerance is not uncommon. Lactose, certain artificial sweeteners, eggs, etc. tend to be the usual culprits. It may also be temporary too as many are.

Wonder if it’s linked to a changed in your general gut health??