Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 2 weeks post op, and I can ride the exercise bike on resistance level 9 (out of 15) and I can walk on the treadmill at speed level 3.5 (out of 5) for 20 minutes each. But I'm impatient because I see so many others doing all kinds of awesome workouts and lifting weights and doing all kinds of things I've only dreamed of being able to do. But I'm still restricted from lifting anything and I can't run just yet (still too heavy, and again, was told not to try before 6 weeks post op). And I have to be honest, I'm so impatient!!! I'm already off 4 meds and stable and I just want to build muscle and strengthen my core and lose even more weight lol I know, I know....I have to take my time and let my body fully heal and follow my surgeon's advice. I know, and I will. But have any of you felt this way? Like before you were totally cleared at 6 weeks? Were you impatient and excited and chomping at the bit to get started seeing what your new body can really do??

Edited by SleeveDiva2022

I was... but I went too fast and managed to pull one of my incisions which kept me out a bit longer. So even though you're champing at the bit, go slow. And once you're cleared, don't go crazy. It will take time to build back up.

4 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I'm 2 weeks post op, and I can ride the exercise bike on resistance level 9 (out of 15) and I can walk on the treadmill at speed level 3.5 (out of 5) for 20 minutes each. But I'm impatient because I see so many others doing all kinds of awesome workouts and lifting weights and doing all kinds of things I've only dreamed of being able to do. But I'm still restricted from lifting anything and I can't run just yet (still too heavy, and again, was told not to try before 6 weeks post op). And I have to be honest, I'm so impatient!!! I'm already off 4 meds and stable and I just want to build muscle and strengthen my core and lose even more weight lol I know, I know....I have to take my time and let my body fully heal and follow my surgeon's advice. I know, and I will. But have any of you felt this way? Like before you were totally cleared at 6 weeks? Were you impatient and excited and chomping at the bit to get started seeing what your new body can really do??

That is horrid vikingbeast. A very good word of caution to us.

I am 10 days PO. There are a few twinges and aches happening. I am not champing at the bit. I also had a hernia repaired so I am loathe to push myself before my body is ready.

The procedure that you had will be in place for the rest of your life. You have the time to go as hard as you need when your body is ready. It is the surgeon that have seen lots of people and how long our bodies take to recover. Walking is a really good thing to do to get your body headed in the right direction.

I wouldn't jump into things your body isn't ready for. For one thing, I wasn't cleared to do anything other than walk for the first four weeks - and I had to wait eight weeks for strength-training. Plus you want whatever fitness routine(s) you select to be sustainable.

When I was still over 300 lbs, my fitness routines consisted mostly of walking and water-related stuff (swimming and Water aerobics). I can now do pretty much everything, but at that weight, some exercises were too hard on my joints. I eventually was able to do them, though.

so wait until your body is ready - and pick things that are enjoyable so you'll be likely to keep up with them.

If you are impatient and want to do more then my advice would be to walk, walk, walk. That is pretty much all I do is walk and ride bike. I am not big on the exercise bike, I find I get more out of actual road cycling and road walking than on the machines. As you lose weight, you are pulling around less weight with you so you either have to exercise a little more to get the same benefit or....as silly as it sounds, weigh yourself down while you are walking to get the same calorie burn as before. I have heard of people putting weights in backpacks and walking to achieve this. I just walk an extra half hour or so in the evening to get the additional calories.

Agree with others - if you are impatient to do more, focus on walking. I was working out with a trainer 2x a week even at my heaviest/right before surgery and used to do a lot of ab work (you'd never know looking at me, haha), heavy weights, all sorts of things most people wouldn't think I could do. But, I stopped all of that for a good 2 months after surgery. I did NOT want to pull anything or set myself back long term, so I was very careful. Even when I started back, we began with much lower weights and the ab work was very light for a while to ease back into it.

Also, I would caution that if you weren't doing more intensive exercise before surgery (I'm not sure if you were or not), that once you are cleared for taking on more, you ease into it. It is very easy to over train especially when we are in our post surgery high. 🙂 I'd recommend a few sessions with a trainer if that's in your budget. It really is helpful because they will be mindful of balancing your muscle groups, form, and also challenge you (safely) in ways you may not challenge yourself. Also, as we lose weight, the way we move changes which can cause different kinds of strain on the body you may be surprised by, as it adjusts.

I'm now 100 lbs down, and I am on an exercise high, having started adding in a lot more cardio on non-training days. I discovered the joy of streaming exercise video services!! But, I still have to mindful of what feels good for me at this weight, because even if I feel spry and want to hop around like a bunny rabbit, I'm still too heavy to be doing high impact work. That means modifying exercised to be low impact (lo-jacks vs jumping jacks, that kind of thing). 🙂

7 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

If you are impatient and want to do more then my advice would be to walk, walk, walk. That is pretty much all I do is walk and ride bike. I am not big on the exercise bike, I find I get more out of actual road cycling and road walking than on the machines. As you lose weight, you are pulling around less weight with you so you either have to exercise a little more to get the same benefit or....as silly as it sounds, weigh yourself down while you are walking to get the same calorie burn as before. I have heard of people putting weights in backpacks and walking to achieve this. I just walk an extra half hour or so in the evening to get the additional calories.

I was actually thinking about getting those 1 pound wrist weights and 3 pound ankle weights from Walmart or Target and using those when I walk. I'm not allowed to lift any weights or run until after I hit 6 weeks, but I'm wondering if wearing those would be ok just for walking. I definitely am not looking to do any damage by jumping the gun on what my surgeon said is ok, but I want to keep making progress and get in the healthiest shape I can.

6 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

Agree with others - if you are impatient to do more, focus on walking. I was working out with a trainer 2x a week even at my heaviest/right before surgery and used to do a lot of ab work (you'd never know looking at me, haha), heavy weights, all sorts of things most people wouldn't think I could do. But, I stopped all of that for a good 2 months after surgery. I did NOT want to pull anything or set myself back long term, so I was very careful. Even when I started back, we began with much lower weights and the ab work was very light for a while to ease back into it.

Also, I would caution that if you weren't doing more intensive exercise before surgery (I'm not sure if you were or not), that once you are cleared for taking on more, you ease into it. It is very easy to over train especially when we are in our post surgery high. 🙂 I'd recommend a few sessions with a trainer if that's in your budget. It really is helpful because they will be mindful of balancing your muscle groups, form, and also challenge you (safely) in ways you may not challenge yourself. Also, as we lose weight, the way we move changes which can cause different kinds of strain on the body you may be surprised by, as it adjusts.

I'm now 100 lbs down, and I am on an exercise high, having started adding in a lot more cardio on non-training days. I discovered the joy of streaming exercise video services!! But, I still have to mindful of what feels good for me at this weight, because even if I feel spry and want to hop around like a bunny rabbit, I'm still too heavy to be doing high impact work. That means modifying exercised to be low impact (lo-jacks vs jumping jacks, that kind of thing). 🙂

I never thought about a trainer!!! I will definitely look into that once I hit 6 weeks and I'm off all exercise restrictions. For now I'll just keep walking and doing the bike and maybe add those 1 pound wrist weights and 3 pound ankle weights from Walmart or Target while walking.

Yep, sit on your proverbial hands until you're physically cleared, otherwise you'll injure yourself and set yourself back even longer.

Even though I was patient, at 4 months out I started the None 2 Run program and screwed up my knee, which is still giving me grief at almost 8 months out. And I weighed less this time than I did when I did the same program way back before surgery when I last lost weight the old-fashioned way. So I was not only nursing an injured knee, but confused as hell as to why a lighter me couldn't nail the program like I did when I was heavier! But the answer is easy - I lost a lot of strength in the pre-surgery months when I was at my absolute heaviest. Everything hurt, so my activity was almost non-existent). Post-surgery recovery took a long time, and I lost even more tone during those weeks. So I bruised the bone jogging on weak leg muscles.

So now I concentrate on the gym, doing low impact cardio and weight training to build strength. My partner and I had to run the other night to catch a show we were running a little late for. The run was fine on the night, but the next day, my knee was tender again. I want desperately to run, but may have to accept that it's going to take some time with physio to do it.

So small steady steps. Enjoy the other small victories as they come. The process is a long-haul.

I’m 13 days post op and I too want to work out (re: lift weights) so bad! But alas, I’ve always been a rule follower to a T so until the magic 6 week mark, I’m walking the dogs 🐕 🤣