Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only if you can stick to it for life. It's more a lifestyle change, not so much a diet. I did it, and I lost 100 pounds. But in my case, I have PCOS and couldn't keep the weight off no matter how hard I tried. If you do Keto and then go off, you will gain all the weight back quickly, and the more you start and stop, the less effective it is.

I had to do Keto as my pre surgical diet - 2.5 weeks. That was enough. I can’t stand the high fat aspect. Never been good with fatty/oily foods regardless if being good or bad fats. So it would never be an option for me long term. Bedsides I really don’t like bacon. 😉 The reading I did about it & conversations with my dietician all pointed to it being fine for the short term (like a kick start to a diet) but not the long term. Plus it can mess with your sugar levels, cholesterol, etc.

There will always be fervent advocates of any diet. But no one diet works for everyone. If there was no one would ever have a weight issue. Use the time during which you are losing to start to work out a plan that works for you. It needs to be sustainable (you can do it long term). It needs to complement your lifestyle. It needs to support you to maintain your weight without you feeling like you are being punished, missing out or making too many sacrifices. Plan a way of eating not a diet.

But talk to your dietician & do your own reading (avoid the pro keto ones though). May be have a look at Aitken’s as a lower fat alternative to keto if you are drawn to it. But look into lots of eating plans including what nutrition your body actually needs to function effectively.

1 hour ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

If you do Keto and then go off, you will gain all the weight back quickly, and the more you start and stop,

Ditto! I did Keto as well. I didnt lose as much as sleevediva2022 but I did gain it all back as soon as I stopped tracking everything I ate and I got back up to my highest weight again. I believe I had lost 40 lbs and gained 45 lbs back.

16 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

Ditto! I did Keto as well. I didnt lose as much as sleevediva2022 but I did gain it all back as soon as I stopped tracking everything I ate and I got back up to my highest weight again. I believe I had lost 40 lbs and gained 45 lbs back.

I lost 100 pounds over 9 months and then when the weight came back, I gained it all back plus an extra 11 pounds. I just sat and cried, and that's when my PCP suggested WLS.

Keto is no better or worse than any of the other fad diets out there - it's just the one that's currently "in". As with the others, maybe 5% of people on it can lose, and most importantly, keep, a substantial amount of weight off. If it floats your boat and you can keep with it as a "lifestyle" (think vegetarian or vegan) over the long term - even after your loss has stalled and stopped - go for it. But, do realize that Keto in and of itself is not a weight loss/maintenance diet - you have to learn how to do that within the restrictions of the diet, just like any other lifestyle choice.

Good luck

Years before I had VSG, I tried the Keto diet. Gained 7 lbs. in one week, so I went off it. I am almost 2 years post-op and do not use the word “diet” for myself, as diets have always failed me. I eat intuitively and so far, it seems to be working for me.

Not imo. It works for some people but I think you need a certain psychology around food I just don't have...not to mention guts of steel haha
I did Keto like 2 years ago in one of my many pursuits to lose weight. I had diarrhea every single day all the time. I did lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks but when I stopped, I gained it all back plus more! Not my proudest moment.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app