Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I had dinner an hour ago (took almost an hour to eat lol) and I gave myself some variety. I had 1 tbsp of hummus (my favorite), 1/2 tbsp of avocado spread, and 1/2 tbsp of no fat refried Beans. And I'm drinking Iced black tea lemonade. OMG. Can I just tell you how amazing my dinner was? I have timers set to eat every 3 hours, but I'm wondering...is it every 3 hours, or 3 hours after your last meal? Because I can't imagine eating again in 2 hours. I'm still very very comfortably not hungry.

I was told as long as I was meeting my Protein goals, to just eat 3x a day. If I was hungry then eat again. Otherwise, the 6 meals a day are as needed.

I currently do a shake for Breakfast and then eat 3 other times through the day. I average 600-700 calories a day and 70 or more grams of protein. While maintaining 70 or more oz. of fluids.

With all of the drinking and the no drinks 30 min before and after eating, I don't even know how you have time to eat every 3 hours. haha

I am 7 weeks out and I can drink very fast now, but in the beginning it took all day to hit my fluids and I was barely hitting the goal.

Although the goals got much easier when I got back to a normal diet.

I still eat every three-four hours and I am basically 10ish months out. I can't get close to my calorie goals if I don't, even with increased amounts at each meal versus where I was at two or three months out.

Having said that, early on as long as I was hitting my Protein and fluid goals, that's what I focused on most. I don't think I was eating 6x a day - more like 4 + a shake.

18 minutes ago, Queen ApisM said:

I still eat every three-four hours and I am basically 10ish months out. I can't get close to my calorie goals if I don't, even with increased amounts at each meal versus where I was at two or three months out.

Having said that, early on as long as I was hitting my Protein and fluid goals, that's what I focused on most. I don't think I was eating 6x a day - more like 4 + a shake.

Is it every 3 hours, or 3 hours from your last meal?

Just now, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Is it every 3 hours, or 3 hours from your last meal?

Now, probably more like every three hours from when I started the last meal. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, and mostly because if I don't do this, I can't get to my 1400-1500 calorie daily goal. But, it also doesn't take me 30 min to eat 2 oz of food anymore, so that makes a big difference with regard to the math. In the beginning, it took me 30 min to eat one scrambled egg! That's not the case anymore.

For example, I eat breakfast around 6:30, and then have a small snack at 9:30-10 AM, lunch between 12 and 1, another snack at around 3 or 3:30, dinner between 5 and 6, and then another snack around 8:30-9:15.

I wouldn't sweat about whether you are eating 3 hours from start time or end time. I'd base it on a) what your body is telling you, and b) what you need to do to reach your goals. Early on, I was never hungry, so I had to just do what I needed to do to get in my Protein.

4 minutes ago, Queen ApisM said:

Now, probably more like every three hours from when I started the last meal. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, and mostly because if I don't do this, I can't get to my 1400-1500 calorie daily goal. But, it also doesn't take me 30 min to eat 2 oz of food anymore, so that makes a big difference with regard to the math. In the beginning, it took me 30 min to eat one scrambled egg! That's not the case anymore.

For example, I eat Breakfast around 6:30, and then have a small snack at 9:30-10 AM, lunch between 12 and 1, another snack at around 3 or 3:30, dinner between 5 and 6, and then another snack around 8:30-9:15.

I wouldn't sweat about whether you are eating 3 hours from start time or end time. I'd base it on a) what your body is telling you, and b) what you need to do to reach your goals. Early on, I was never hungry, so I had to just do what I needed to do to get in my Protein.

Thanks! Sadly, I've been hungry since about day 8. And once food was introduced, it just got worse. So I'm trying to make sure I do this right so I don't mess up.

5 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Thanks! Sadly, I've been hungry since about day 8. And once food was introduced, it just got worse. So I'm trying to make sure I do this right so I don't mess up.

Oh, that definitely makes it harder. 😞 I had to force myself to eat for a long time because I just didn't care about food. You may need to do a little trial and error to figure out what works for you. Maybe try counting the 3 hours from what you finish eating for a week, and then try the other way, and see if one works better for you than the other? Just to mix it up.

It helped on my program that we could drink up until eating (no 30 min wait), and then did a 30 min wait afterwards. It helped free up more time in the day for getting it all in!

10 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

I had to force myself to eat for a long time because I just didn't care about food.

I had surgery 5/3 and I feel like that. I dont care to eat at all and often I dont realize how much time has passed and before I know it 4 or 5 hours have gone by and Im still not hungry at all. My brain will suddenly get a thought of oh wish I could have that or cant wait until I want to eat food again or sometimes I will get a craving.

Odd thing is I have stopped losing weight. I lost 14 lbs in 9 days and nothing since a big 0!! Im beginning to wonder what the heck. I barely get in 400-500 cal per day. I have an appt with my dietician tomorrow. Im getting discouraged :(

6 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

I had surgery 5/3 and I feel like that. I dont care to eat at all and often I dont realize how much time has passed and before I know it 4 or 5 hours have gone by and Im still not hungry at all. My brain will suddenly get a thought of oh wish I could have that or cant wait until I want to eat food again or sometimes I will get a craving.

Odd thing is I have stopped losing weight. I lost 14 lbs in 9 days and nothing since a big 0!! Im beginning to wonder what the heck. I barely get in 400-500 cal per day. I have an appt with my dietician tomorrow. Im getting discouraged :(

It might be because you're not eating enough Protein. If you don't have enough, it can slow things down. You also need to make sure you're getting enough calories. If you're walking or working out but barely eating, your body will think it's starving and hold on to every bit of weight it can. I would still Celebrate those 14 pounds!!! And it looks like you have a total of 36 total gone from pre and post surgery, which is amazing!!! You also maybe have hit your stall early. 9 days seems super early for that, but it might be possible. Not sure, tho.

4 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

It might be because you're not eating enough Protein. If you don't have enough, it can slow things down. You also need to make sure you're getting enough calories.

Your probably right, Im having a hard time meeting everything :(

11 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

Your probably right, Im having a hard time meeting everything :(

I'm sorry :( I'm thinking the lack of Protein and calories is where the issues are. Can you set an alarm to eat? Do you still have Protein Shakes and waters?

1 minute ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Do you still have Protein Shakes and waters?

I gag with the commercial Protein Shakes (that started about day 5 or 6 post op). I started using powder Protein, that being said I did a Protein Powder at breakfast and then lunch I did a Fairlife Carmel Protein Shake so I could make sure I hit protein goal. lol I gagged it down. I have to keep going tho or I feel I may get myself stuck in a rut!!

1 minute ago, Crisscat said:

I gag with the commercial Protein Shakes (that started about day 5 or 6 post op). I started using powder Protein, that being said I did a Protein Powder at Breakfast and then lunch I did a Fairlife Carmel Protein Shake so I could make sure I hit Protein goal. lol I gagged it down. I have to keep going tho or I feel I may get myself stuck in a rut!!

If you don't like the commercial Protein Shakes, can you just use the flavorless protein powder in homemade smoothies or other flavored waters? If you look up some smoothie recipes, you might be able to find ways to add calories to your diet (while staying in compliance) and still get the protein from the powder. Are you walking and exercising?

1 minute ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

can you just use the flavorless Protein Powder in homemade smoothies or other flavored waters? If you look up some smoothie recipes, you might be able to find ways to add calories to your diet (while staying in compliance) and still get the Protein from the powder. Are you walking and exercising?

At this point Im willing to try anything lol. I do not get to walk just yet as I have a bad right knee. I am pending a knee replacement surgery when I lose enough weight because the Dr will not do it at my current weight. That being said I am up and moving more than what I was previously. I need to maybe try and push myself and do the walking and see how it goes