Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm eating mushy foods now, and I was going over everything that was given to me, and I have NOTHING about amounts of food I can eat. No suggestions for meals, no amounts to eat, nothing. When I called my dietician on Friday, I got an email back that said "Since you had a sleeve, you can pretty much eat what you want, just in smaller amounts. Just try a lot of foods and see what you like and what your body can tolerate. And make sure you have 60-80g of Protein per day, and make sure you have a very low amount of carbs, or you'll undo all of your progress." WHAT am I supposed to do with that??? I already know that!!! I need to know how often do I eat the mushy food? Is that when every 3 hours starts? How much food should I have at each meal? 2oz, 3oz, what? Do I eat actual meals every 3 hours or do I do 3 meals and 2 Snacks? I'm so irritated right now. And I'm so afraid I'll eat too much and mess this all up. I had restriction when I first started mushy food, but now I can eat a to-go cup of applesauce in 1 sitting, or 2 tablespoons of hummus in 1 sitting. Is this bad?

i am on soft foods. and my goal according to my paperwork is to have at least 400-600 calories. typically at a time i can eat about 3-4oz of food but that takes me like an hour. You take a bite, chew chew chew. give it a bit, take another bite, chew chew chew, give it a bit and so on til you finish eating. each meal should take you around a half hour to eat

Once you get on to real foods your restriction will kick in big time. At 2 months I was still struggling with the liquids so had to eat 5 tiny meals. I would average 400 Cals a day. A meal the size of a egg would be my limit. If you are getting your liquid and Protein allowance then you have no need to worry. At almost 6 months I am fine with the liquids and my protein allotment but have no room for vegetables or carbs. I saw my dietician last week and they were thrilled with my progress and said its a bonus that I have such a restriction. I have 4 meals and 800 - 900 Cals a day ish.

Thank you so much, guys!!! THIS is actually helpful. I will say that I ate half a scrambled egg this morning for Breakfast and I got full!!! And as of this morning, Im officially down 28 pounds from my surgery day on the 3rd!!!! And I do 15-20 minute walks 1-2 times per day everyday. But I really, really want to get this right, you know? And I really do thank God for this forum. Everyone here is so much more helpful than dieticians sometimes.

9 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Thank you so much, guys!!! THIS is actually helpful. I will say that I ate half a scrambled egg this morning for Breakfast and I got full!!! And as of this morning, Im officially down 28 pounds from my surgery day on the 3rd!!!! And I do 15-20 minute walks 1-2 times per day everyday. But I really, really want to get this right, you know? And I really do thank God for this forum. Everyone here is so much more helpful than dieticians sometimes.

No problem. Also remember you are reaching your 3rd week here soon. Most people stall out at that time or a little before where you wont loose any weight for a couple weeks or so. I am on week 4 and i havent lost any weight now for about 2 weeks. so dont get disgorged when that time comes. It will pass.

42 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

No problem. Also remember you are reaching your 3rd week here soon. Most people stall out at that time or a little before where you wont loose any weight for a couple weeks or so. I am on week 4 and i havent lost any weight now for about 2 weeks. so dont get disgorged when that time comes. It will pass.

I've been reminding myself of that everyday lol Tuesday is 14 days post op, so I hope I have about another week-ish before I have to worry about it. BUT, I know it can come early or late (again, learned it from here) so I'm just trying to stay on track and lose as much as I can before I hit the stall so I don't feel like I'm losing too much ground.

12 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I've been reminding myself of that everyday lol Tuesday is 14 days post op, so I hope I have about another week-ish before I have to worry about it. BUT, I know it can come early or late (again, learned it from here) so I'm just trying to stay on track and lose as much as I can before I hit the stall so I don't feel like I'm losing too much ground.

Yea mine came very early at 2 weeks. It sucked. lol

Pre surgery, I could eat a 24oz porterhouse, an appetizer, 2 sides, a drink, and a dessert myself. And completely finish it. I was ALWAYS hungry. I could eat 6 scrambled eggs, 8 pieces of bacon, 4 sausages, and 4 pieces of french toast in 1 sitting. Now, I get nervous if I had restriction on a tsp of food yesterday and a tbsp today (like, WHY can I comfortably take more food in so soon???). I had 1/2 an egg this morning and I was full. BUT....2 hours later and I'm hungry again. I'm drinking a shake, trying to ignore it, but I worry that my hunger hormone isn't really gone like I had hoped, and my appetite is roaring back. I only eat until I'm comfortable. And I do things to keep myself busy (read, go for a walk, watch movies, play computer games) but eventually the hunger gets so bad I can't ignore it. So having a stall looming while I'm trying to get this hunger under control is really a daunting thought.

Yeah, some dieticians are pretty crappy. Your’s just doesn’t seem to get this is something totally new to you & you want to get the best out of this opportunity. They are supposed yo be supporting you through this. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a greater framework & more specific guidelines to feel comfortable & confident about what you’re doing. A blanket try whatever you want is not good advice. Eating whatever you wanted got you where you were before surgery.

The only thing I agree with is that there is a bit of trial & error about what foods your tummy will tolerate in these first weeks when it can be more sensitive & fussy.

I was given portion size no calories, and a list of suggested foods to eat & avoid from the surgeon & the dietician. As a help I was advised 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food from puree three times a day. I could have a snack if I was able (I ate yoghurt to boost my Protein most afternoons). Low fat, very low carbs, no starchy vegetables, protein, protein, protein. I didn’t care how long I took to eat. I wasn’t hungry & wasn’t interested in eating but I knew I had to. But this was my plan.

Remember you won’t get the same feelings of fullness, etc. (& they likely will be different to what you used to experience) until you’re fully healed & eating solid food. Hence the importance of Portion Control.

Congrats on yiur weight loss so far.

17 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

i am on soft foods. and my goal according to my paperwork is to have at least 400-600 calories. typically at a time i can eat about 3-4oz of food but that takes me like an hour. You take a bite, chew chew chew. give it a bit, take another bite, chew chew chew, give it a bit and so on til you finish eating. each meal should take you around a half hour to eat

I have been eating tuna pouches and cottage cheese. I probably get what you do 3 or 4 oz at a time then I stop regardless. I do not have to take as long as you do with eating. I chew everything to next to nothing but Im usually done in about 30 mins Id say. Im not eating alot of the things you are though so that may be the difference, My food doesnt have much texture except for the cottage cheese. I am in awe of what your already eating lol 😂

9 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Now, I get nervous if I had restriction on a tsp of food yesterday and a tbsp today (like, WHY can I comfortably take more food in so soon??

I have worried about this myself. Its like I dont have alot of restriction, I even said that to my Dr because things seem to be moving along good. I have not tried eggs yet but I may try that tomorrow. Tonight I had mash potatoes about a tablespoon and a tablespoon of carrots. I mashed the carrots to baby food consistency and the mash was runnier than what we usually have. I was unable to eat the mash potatoes, I maybe had 6 small bites. My stomach was gurgling and grumbling so I stopped eating altogether. It felt like I took a fist to the gut every time I tried to eat the potatoes.

I dont feel hunger I dont believe but my stomach does do alot of growling and grumbling which is weird. It will do that while Im eating. Are you experiencing that maybe and thinking its hunger pains? Hard to say but I have seem some posts from ppl saying they were hungry after surgery. Maybe they will reply to your post hopefully.

I havent lost any weight in 3 days after my last weigh in so thats making me nervous about what I have been eating or the amount. Surely its not a stall already after a 14 lbs loss in 9 days??

51 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

I have worried about this myself. Its like I dont have alot of restriction, I even said that to my Dr because things seem to be moving along good. I have not tried eggs yet but I may try that tomorrow. Tonight I had mash potatoes about a tablespoon and a tablespoon of carrots. I mashed the carrots to baby food consistency and the mash was runnier than what we usually have. I was unable to eat the mash potatoes, I maybe had 6 small bites. My stomach was gurgling and grumbling so I stopped eating altogether. It felt like I took a fist to the gut every time I tried to eat the potatoes.

I dont feel hunger I dont believe but my stomach does do alot of growling and grumbling which is weird. It will do that while Im eating. Are you experiencing that maybe and thinking its hunger pains? Hard to say but I have seem some posts from ppl saying they were hungry after surgery. Maybe they will reply to your post hopefully.

I havent lost any weight in 3 days after my last weigh in so thats making me nervous about what I have been eating or the amount. Surely its not a stall already after a 14 lbs loss in 9 days??

My stomach doesn't growl at ALL. I keep reading that it happens a lot, so I'm waiting for it, but nothing so far. I eat until I'm comfortable and then I stop. But each time I eat it takes a little more to get there. I'm not even talking FULL. Just comfortable. And my hunger hormone was never gone at all. I felt hunger the entire time, but I was able to just drink it away before I started on mushy food. Once food hit my system, it's like it woke the beast and I can't really ignore it anymore. I try to wait until I'm so hungry my stomach literally hurts, but by the time I get to that point, I'll eat anything in sight and I usually eat too fast just to make the hunger stop. I tried broth tonight, and while it tasted good, it didn't do anything for my hunger. For dinner I was able to comfortably eat 1 tbsp of hummus and 1 tbsp of applesauce, then 1/2 a tbsp of Protein pudding before I was comfortable (not FULL, just comfortable). I think I'm failing at this.

Edited by SleeveDiva2022

6 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

My stomach doesn't growl at ALL. I keep reading that it happens a lot, so I'm waiting for it, but nothing so far. I eat until I'm comfortable and then I stop. But each time I eat it takes a little more to get there. I'm not even talking FULL. Just comfortable. And my hunger hormone was never gone at all. I felt hunger the entire time, but I was able to just drink it away before I started on mushy food. Once food hit my system, it's like it woke the beast and I can't really ignore it anymore. I try to wait until I'm so hungry my stomach literally hurts, but by the time I get to that point, I'll eat anything in sight and I usually eat too fast just to make the hunger stop. I tried broth tonight, and while it tasted good, it didn't do anything for my hunger. For dinner I was able to comfortably eat 1 tbsp of hummus and 1 tbsp of applesauce, then 1/2 a tbsp of Protein pudding before I was comfortable (not FULL, just comfortable). I think I'm failing at this.

You have lost 28lbs, You are eating tiny amounts. Eat your Protein and drink your Water quota. Like every one in here you have to trust the process, all we can do is advice you. There is very little protein in apple sauce. Buy some minced meat and cook it really well with tinned tomatoes like a bolognaise sauce. Blitz it if necessary. Lots of protein and it will stay in your tummy longer. Portion it up into two ounce pots and freeze it. Sometimes hunger pangs are stomach acid and believe me they feel the same. If you need more information, track your calories, I use MY FAT SECRET. An awful name but very useful. You only fail if you give up. If you watch that tv show a lady had the surgery and ended up weighing 200 lbs heavier than when she started.

7 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I think I'm failing at this.

No I dont believe you are. Hang in there! You are stopping when you are comfortable and that is what you are supposed to be doing. You've lost a good amount of weight in a short period of time, so failure; nah I dont see that. I see it as a victory!! 28 pounds down in 2 weeks thats awesome! Ive only managed 14 lbs and I tend to look at it as thats 14 pounds I couldnt do on my own before so to me its a win win :) . Keep doing what you are doing and your body will conform

Thank you so much, everyone. I really love this place. I am taking all of your advice and suggestions to heart and implementing it. I'm also looking into apps to help me along. Again, I appreciate you all, and thanks so much for your help :)