Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Illness shortly after surgery

I am 11 days post sleeve surgery, my family has had stomach virus, I am having diarrhea which is definitely not related to surgery(you can just tell….if you know what I mean). I am going to take anti nausea tablet and pray that I can keep it from becoming an issue with vomiting as well. I am really concerned about vomiting this soon after surgery. Any suggestions???

it depends. As long as you are not vomitting super hard it should be somewhat ok. I vomitted alot in the hospital. the first few times i had a little blood in it but the others were just clear. as for diarrhea. the main issue with that is causing dehydration. so you need to stay hydrated. maybe give your surgeons office a call and let them know and see what they recommend.

Know what’s weird. My husband and I caught a stomach but shortly after surgery and he vomited a lot. I only did one time and had worse diarrhea than him. Idk if it was just coincidence or somehow it hit me different because of the surgery?? I have to admit it didn’t hurt or anything to vomit. I did that time and once because of my Vitamin and it didn’t hurt either time. I was a little further out than you though. I agree and would call the dr to see if there is anything you can do to lessen this. Maybe a stronger rx for the Nausea now. And definitely call for them to arrange for fluids if it gets too bad and you need them.

Thanks guys! I left a message with my dr office but evidently they don’t have an emergency contact, I am just afraid of hurting my stomach since I am not fully healed. Drinking as much as I can to avoid dehydration. I appreciate you all.

Try some Imodium too if the diarrhoea becomes excessive which will also help with the Fluid loss. Add some electrolyte drinks to your routine too. Hope you all recover quickly. At least you know it wasn’t something you ate 😉.

Edited by Arabesque

32 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Try some Imodium too if the diarrhoea becomes excessive which will also help with the Fluid loss. Add some electrolyte drinks to your routine too. Hope you all recover quickly. At least you know it wasn’t something you ate 😉.

I was going to suggest immodium too but wondered if stopping it from coming out the other end would increase the vomiting?? I figured with diarrhea they may need an IV to replenish fluids but at least it wouldn’t hurt the healing tummy. Of course I am not really sure if that is how it works??

Edited by ShoppGirl

vomiting shouldn't be an issue as long as it's not severe. A lot of people vomit the first few weeks after surgery because your stomach is still healing and certain foods this early out could irritate it (I know your concern is with a stomach virus, but the same holds true...)

21 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I was going to suggest immodium too but wondered if stopping it from coming out the other end would increase the vomiting?? I figured with diarrhea they may need an IV to replenish fluids but at least it wouldn’t hurt the healing tummy. Of course I am not really sure if that is how it works??

Imodium helps to firm the stools & slow their evacuation. The body is then able to better absorb the fluids & nutrients again from the the stools as they form in the intestines. It’s not stopping you poop, just slowing the process down to what it should be.