Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June surgeries? Tell me your preparations

You could figure out how you are going to measure your fluids and get used to always having a water bottle or something with you and keeping track like you will need to for a while post surgery. Also, you can practice eating slower. Really chewing your food well and taking time between bites. Another thing, depending on your pre op diet, you may want to find a Protein Shake or two that you like. Don’t stock up on too many though because your tastes may change post surgery. Especially for sweet things.

1 hour ago, Songbyrd420 said:

Hi!

I just scheduled surgery For june 13th.

I’m excited and nervous.

What are you doing to prepare?

I just cut out processed food and have stopped diet drinks but feel like I should be doing much more.

Wow we are same day surgery buddies! My surgery is also June 13th.

Tbh I am a massive control freak so I am doing everything I can to control all aspects of the surgery. I am making a lot of list and watching "things I wish I knew before i had vsg surgery" videos.

My daughter's birthday is the day after and I scheduling deliveries thru out the day for her as I don't know exactly when I will be home (Dr's ofc promised if at all possible I would be going home on the 14th). She is getting a small delivery for each year...considering she is a teen ..ouch lol.

I am also setting up my FMLA/short term disability case for my job. I hope I don't need it but I want it in place just in case. I am planning to be out 1-3 weeks an now I know that all that time will be paid so I am not as freaked out about taking 3wks off if I need it.

My friends want to help me but I have a hard time asking for help/things. So my amazing teen gave me the great idea of doing an Amazon wish list..so I have been setting that up (I still feel like I am begging for stuff).

I am reading up on Protein Shakes and medications. Still haven't found the answer to will I gain weight when I have to go off the Phentermine/Topiramate combo, my weight loss Dr has me on, for the 2 weeks prior to surgery? But I keep looking.

I really can't imagine life after surgery so I pretty much am trying to do everything I can think to do to make whatever happens after i wake up from surgery as smooth as possible.

Sorry so long winded

Im so nervous that I’m going to go through this and it be for nothing!

Meaning, I’ve tried so many things (like eating correctly, tracking food, exercising for a year, lost 40lbs then gained back) that im scared itll not work or ill mess it up some how!

I believe ill do good because I’ll have the boost of surgery to help me once I start the exercising and tracking food again but just nervous.

Especially since it’s coming out of pocket. Hopefully that’ll be a great motivator too!

On 5/14/2022 at 5:33 PM, Tatt said:

Wow we are same day surgery buddies! My surgery is also June 13th.

Tbh I am a massive control freak so I am doing everything I can to control all aspects of the surgery. I am making a lot of list and watching "things I wish I knew before i had vsg surgery" videos.

My daughter's birthday is the day after and I scheduling deliveries thru out the day for her as I don't know exactly when I will be home (Dr's ofc promised if at all possible I would be going home on the 14th). She is getting a small delivery for each year...considering she is a teen ..ouch lol.

I am also setting up my FMLA/short term disability case for my job. I hope I don't need it but I want it in place just in case. I am planning to be out 1-3 weeks an now I know that all that time will be paid so I am not as freaked out about taking 3wks off if I need it.

My friends want to help me but I have a hard time asking for help/things. So my amazing teen gave me the great idea of doing an Amazon wish list..so I have been setting that up (I still feel like I am begging for stuff).

I am reading up on Protein Shakes and medications. Still haven't found the answer to will I gain weight when I have to go off the Phentermine/Topiramate combo, my weight loss Dr has me on, for the 2 weeks prior to surgery? But I keep looking.

I really can't imagine life after surgery so I pretty much am trying to do everything I can think to do to make whatever happens after i wake up from surgery as smooth as possible.

Sorry so long winded

It sounds like you’re ahead of the game!

I’m gonna call the nutritionist soon to gain some perspective

Hi!

I am schedule for surgery on 6/6. I am on day 4th of liquid diet. I did a trial last week to see how hard it was going to be. Last week was a mess, hunger pains, mood swing and being very tired. This week has been tolerable, still have hunger pains, but I have schedule going. 😀

I did the following before my pre op officially started:
1. Found a brand of Protein Shakes i liked-my recommendation is Premier Protein. The chocolate Peanut Butter is amazing
2. Found a Water bottle that i liked and had markings as to how much i needed to drink each hour
3. Practiced sipping water instead of gulping
4. Stocked up on sugar free popsicles. Jello, Gatorade zero flavors that i like
5. Practiced chewing food

I went overboard with prep spending. (I'm a bit of a control freak, and that was my way of dealing with pre-op jitters/fear of the unknown.) One of the best things I bought: a 16-month planner with squares big enough to write in surgical appointments, weeks since surgery, diet change days, etc. Two things I wish I'd decided against: portion cups in various sizes (I used a grand total of about 25, not 200 each of three sizes!) and a big stockpile of Protein Shakes which I now can't abide.

2 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

I went overboard with prep spending. (I'm a bit of a control freak, and that was my way of dealing with pre-op jitters/fear of the unknown.) One of the best things I bought: a 16-month planner with squares big enough to write in surgical appointments, weeks since surgery, diet change days, etc. Two things I wish I'd decided against: portion cups in various sizes (I used a grand total of about 25, not 200 each of three sizes!) and a big stockpile of Protein Shakes which I now can't abide.

Thank you for the tip. I like you are planning for everything, I knew about the shakes and the possibility of not being able to tolerate them after surgery. What portion cups are you referring to?

10 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

I had a bunch of portion cups left over too. I gave them to someone with grandkids. They used them for Snacks and crafts.

48 minutes ago, Desafio said:

What portion cups are you referring to?

These. Great for people who haven't learned what 2 (4, 6, etc.) ounces looks like, pretty much useless thereafter.

cups.PNG

45 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had a bunch of portion cups left over too. I gave them to someone with grandkids. They used them for Snacks and crafts.

Great idea! I've given a bunch to other nervous pre-oppers at my WLS center, and I'll throw the rest in my luggage when I go visit my own grandchildren.