Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mixing protein in water or other?

So day 1 of preop liquid diet lol! I’ve tried a few different Protein Drinks. Went to GNC and bought yet another brand while I wait for the rest of my order to come in. I bought Isopure. Mixed with Water is terrible? Never tried one so bad!!! Is it any better with almond milk or what do you all do? Are any of them good in water???

I personally buy the premixed ones but many people do also buy the powder. I haven’t heard much about Isopure. Walmart has the premiere Protein Shakes which my team recommended that are pretty good as well as the fairlife ones that I hear a lot of good things about on here. I have tried the chocolate and it was pretty good. My personal favorite is the caffe latte by premiere (it has caffeine though). If you want you could try mixing the powder with milk. It adds a few calories but it also adds Protein. If that doesn’t work keep trying. It takes a while for most people but don’t stock up, post op some of our tastes change and taste for sweetness is a common change we have. That’s when I discovered the caffe latte as it is not as sweet as many others that I no longer liked. I am 14 months out and still have one for Breakfast everyday even though I don’t have to anymore FWIW.

from the two weeks of my pre op diet. I found the powder stuff you have to mix to be horrible. no matter which. The premade ones were best

The powder that you have to mix with water/milk is a strange thickness that I don't like. It has a strange taste as well. I like Fairlife. I think any of the premixed shakes are better than the powder types. Fairlife just tastes like chocolate milk or strawberry milk. It's not overly sweet, which is a good thing post op for most people.

Edited by BypassingMyPhatAss♡

I second the Fairlife Protein drinks (ready made). I still liked them after surgery.

Oh no…you didn’t like Isopure? (This was actually my long searched for favourite because it was the least sweet of the MANY I tried )

which flavour did you get?

I lived on the Low Carb Dutch chocolate (why this particular flavour was not ZeRO Carb like the rest of the flavours in this line was my irk for months btw)

2 scoops, 600 ml Water (i used more water than directed), 1-2 tsps Decaf instant coffee crystals, and 2 tsps of Benefire in a shaker bottle with a heap of ice.

But if adding milks to the powders dont do it for you, you can make them into puddings?

Or just toss em altogether and try other stuff. I’ve read others rave about the premixed Fairlife Brand.

Also you can try Protein “waters”. My husband drinks these all the time when he does his “sporty” things. They are still powders + water, but they mix up like juice vs a shake.

On 05/14/2022 at 09:15, ms.sss said:

Oh no…you didn’t like Isopure? (This was actually my long searched for favourite because it was the least sweet of the MANY I tried )

which flavour did you get?

I lived on the Low Carb Dutch chocolate (why this particular flavour was not ZeRO Carb like the rest of the flavours in this line was my irk for months btw)

2 scoops, 600 ml Water (i used more Water than directed), 1-2 tsps Decaf instant coffee crystals, and 2 tsps of Benefire in a shaker bottle with a heap of ice.

But if adding milks to the powders dont do it for you, you can make them into puddings?

Or just toss em altogether and try other stuff. I’ve read others rave about the premixed Fairlife Brand.

Also you can try Protein “waters”. My husband drinks these all the time when he does his “sporty” things. They are still powders + water, but they mix up like juice vs a shake.

I got the low carb dark chocolate because that’s all they had. I have ordered some other brands but I wanted to try it as well. I need to try in almond milk not water. The water was terrible, I could literally taste a saltiness and just horrible consistency. I love Unjury powders but the Isopure not so much. Maybe water was the problem????? I don’t like the overkill of sweetness in them either but this one was just bleh….I try to stick to just whey Protein isolates and this one qualifies. Maybe the water is what it was? You think?

There are packets at costco that are mixed with Water that are tasty. Mango orange flavor. 20g Protein

On 5/14/2022 at 5:34 AM, ShoppGirl said:

It takes a while for most people but don’t stock up, post op some of our tastes change and taste for sweetness is a common change we have. That’s when I discovered the caffe latte as it is not as sweet as many others that I no longer liked.

are you saying your taste/desire for sweets REDUCED?

13 minutes ago, rustybeth said:

are you saying your taste/desire for sweets REDUCED?

Yes. The Protein Shakes that I like prior to surgery tasted way too sweet to me post surgery. I do still crave sweets, and I have sugar free mostly now, but some things taste too sweet. Some people have said it’s only temporary. I am not sure though because I have no desire to try those things again.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Protein powders are definitely an acquired taste. I prefer to mix mine with almond milk.