Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose VSG over other bariatric surgeries?

Hi y'all, I'm new here. Scheduled for surgery June 24th (but I started the whole process February 2021, long story). When researching which surgery to get, I was hoping for a duodenal switch, because it is supposed to have the best long-term outcome. Unfortunately my surgeon doesn't do DS, he only will do the VSG or RNY. And even then, he'll only do the RNY if you have diabetes or GERD. With him, then, my only option is the sleeve. (I don't live in an area where I can really "shop around" for bariatric surgeons).

Honestly, I'm not upset, because it does seem to be one of the least invasive procedures... our insides aren't getting rearranged, we're just getting part of our stomach taken out. That being said, I'm kind of glad that the sleeve can so easily be revised into a DS, if I need it to be down the road. (I've been fat my whole life, so I'm really worried about regain). Obviously I'd need to search further away for a surgeon to do the DS, but I'll cross that bridge if or when I come to it. I'm hoping the sleeve will do the trick, though. I just want to be healthy. My ten-year-old daughter is autistic, and non-speaking, with very high support needs, so it's likely she'll never be able to live independently. I just want to make sure I'm around for her as long as I possibly can be.

Anyway, hi! I'd love to hear your stories!

I am on medications and the absorption issues with sleeve are less. Plus the need for Vitamins tends to be less with sleeve. Most still need a multi and Calcium but most don’t need extra vitamins that the other surgeries require.

Edited by ShoppGirl

The sleeve has the least amount of absorption issues and the least amount of recovery time. For me, the ability to get back to an active life i started to build upon before surgery was important. I also wanted something that would remove the hunger hormone and the sleeve was my best option. I’ve also found there are less overall issues with the sleeve but the weight loss is just as good as the bypass.

I went back and forth between sleeve and bypass because I was worried I had GERD and also wanted the best weight loss (my surgery center also does only sleeve and bypass, because those have the best data). My surgeon and the second opinion I got both recommended sleeve, in part because of medications I take (like @ShoppGirl) and also because it's just a very simple option.

I know you are worried about regaining weight, but the thing is, you have to take care of yourself by changing your habits. And you're less likely to be really sick after sleeve than DS (although many people with DS are totally fine!)

Also, i was lower BMI but I went in there with my mind set on bypass. My surgeon said (as so many people do) that the surgery is just a tool. He said that the bypass would be like getting out a jackhammer when a regular hammer would do the job just fine. Both would work but the bypass was just overkill for me.

For your size and BMI, the Sleeve is going to get you to where you need to be weight wise for sure if you stick to the plan and commit yourself to it. I think it is a little less radical than the bypass and a few less issues to worry about like dumping, absorption of nutrients etc.

They say you can lose 60-70 percent of your excess weight on it which is I think on the conservative side because I am over 80 percent of excess weight lost and still going (slowly, but still losing).

I am more than happy with the result.

I chose sleeve because:

1) the idea of rearranging my plumbing turned me off

2) i wanted to continue using NSAIDS with no issue (but surprise, surprise, i ended up no longer needing them)

3) i was afraid of dumping (again, surprise, surprise, i dump with the sleeve anyway)

For what its worth, my surgeon said either surgery (sleeve or bypass) would, under normal circumstances, more or less produce the same results with the same person. And that unless there is pre-existing condition that would dictate a specific surgey (i.e., GERD, which i did not have) then it just boils down to personal choice. He was equally comfortable doing either surgery and advised me to choose the one *I* felt more comfortable with.

There is alot of literature out there about average weight losses for the different types of WLS’s. But averages are just that: averages. They are NOT pre-determined stats that YOUR body will adhere to.

Basically, results are significantly more tied to the person (and their actions/habits/physiology) than the specific surgery.

Doc said that statistically, based on my starting weight, I could expect to lose 60 lbs in a year. Eff that, I lost 120 in 7 months. I’ve read of others on here who lost 50 in a year, still others who lost 200 over 2 years, and even one who lost 150+ in less than six months (all self-identified sleevers). So yeah…their results are quite spread out.

In any case, whichever surgery you choose (pre-existing conditions excluded), your results will depend on YOU.

Good Luck!

Edited by ms.sss

I chose it because I didn't want my innards rearranged, I didn't want the malabsorption issues, I have meds I need to take (for my MS) that can't be substituted, stopped, or given in liquid form, and I wanted the shorter downtime. My surgeon told me that I could do sleeve or bypass, and I just knew right from the beginning that I wanted the sleeve. Complications are far less likely and when they do happen, they are less severe than bypass or DS. And I wanted something that would give me a tiny stomach and be a really useful tool to remind me to eat until I'm comfortably not hungry but not overly full. Sleeve did all that for me.

Some of the same reasons as SleeveDiva and ms.sss here - I didn't like the idea of re-routing my guts and I didn't like the risks of malabsorption and dumping. I've been lucky with my choice - it's worked out really well for me so far.

As everyone else says, they're all tools and I believe the final result you get depends so much on you - both how you use the tool and lots of pre-determined factors you can't change. Good luck - whichever you choose you'll get lots of support and information here. I so value this community - it's been my best source of information by far.

Ditto to everyone else's replies. Didnt want the rearranging of my insides and I felt the sleeve would be more beneficial for me and hopefully get the same results if not better than what is predicted. Im just totally stoked that my BMI has dropped 3 points since my surgery date of 5/3!!

Edited by Crisscat

1 hour ago, Crisscat said:

Im just totally stoked that my BMI has dropped 3 points since my surgery date of 5/3!!

Mine started at 62 and now it's 59!!! Like whaaaaat??? It's only been 10 days lol It just seems like it's too good to be true sometimes.

Hi y'all, I'm new here. Scheduled for surgery June 24th (but I started the whole process February 2021, long story). When researching which surgery to get, I was hoping for a duodenal switch, because it is supposed to have the best long-term outcome. Unfortunately my surgeon doesn't do DS, he only will do the VSG or RNY. And even then, he'll only do the RNY if you have diabetes or GERD. With him, then, my only option is the sleeve. (I don't live in an area where I can really "shop around" for bariatric surgeons).
Honestly, I'm not upset, because it does seem to be one of the least invasive procedures... our insides aren't getting rearranged, we're just getting part of our stomach taken out. That being said, I'm kind of glad that the sleeve can so easily be revised into a DS, if I need it to be down the road. (I've been fat my whole life, so I'm really worried about regain). Obviously I'd need to search further away for a surgeon to do the DS, but I'll cross that bridge if or when I come to it. I'm hoping the sleeve will do the trick, though. I just want to be healthy. My ten-year-old daughter is autistic, and non-speaking, with very high support needs, so it's likely she'll never be able to live independently. I just want to make sure I'm around for her as long as I possibly can be.
Anyway, hi! I'd love to hear your stories!

Hi!
I have been on this journey for a minute too. I always wanted to have the sleeve because it's less invasive and supposed to be a little quicker recovery time.

Sent from my SM-G981V using BariatricPal mobile app