Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Achieving your goals and rewarding yourself

Was just thinking since I have my 3 month post op follow up tomorrow, dreaming of my 1 year post op and the weight I'll lose.

I've had, since the beginning of this whole journey, the idea to reward myself with a designer trench coat when I reach my goal weight.

I'd ideally like to be 195 lbs but I'm starting with 220 for now because of my doctor's suggestions and recommendations. I think if I'm between 215 and 195 I'd give myself the reward.

Anyway, I'm soooo dreaming of buying a designer coat when I reach that weight. Having one of those "imagine" nights.

So I wanna know, do you or did you have a big item or thing in mind you wanna (or did) reward yourself with once you achieve your goal weight? What was it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

When I hit my goal, I'm going to splurge on a Louis Vuitton purse with matching wallet. I have Coach, Michael Kors, Burberry, Dior, and Fendi. But my dream has always been to have a LV. I've never been able to convince myself to pull the trigger because the set costs as much as some used cars LOL But if I'm actually able to drop 190 pounds and hit my goal, that'll be exactly what I need to be able to bite the bullet and get my dream purse and wallet set.

I rewarded myself with both plastic surgery and then a new wardrobe once I got to goal. Best decision ever!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bbd8bc3022d1b1aSome people get tattoos, go on holidays, buy jewellery, etc. as rewards but they weren’t for me. Clothing, shoes & bags are my passion.

I didn’t reward myself as such I just shopped. Not that I needed an excuse. 😆😆 I so loved being able to buy the clothing labels I’d always wanted to buy or had bought when I’d been at a lower weight. I’d kept some of those clothes. (The old one day I’ll fit into them again thinking.) I was so excited when I was able to wear some of them but unfortunately about a month later they’d be too big. Or I simply missed my window to wear them.

I would suggest you wait to buy a big ticket clothing item until your weight is stable. I have several high end pieces I bought at goal that are one or two sizes too big because I continued to lose. At least that’s not an issue with handbags except some of my old bags are too large for my smaller frame now.

I do want to see pxt of you in your coat when you do buy it @fourmonthspreop & your LV handbag @SleeveDiva2022.

Edited by Arabesque

Every pound lost is my reward. I'm much more deeply thrilled by the process itself than by an eventual arbitrary goal. But I enjoy reading about what others consider rewarding, so keep 'em coming!

I keep seeing variations on this theme here, and I never know what I would reward myself with. Partly because I'm so fortunate to have enough money that I can buy and do most things I really want. But also, I tend to be a spur-of-the-moment shopper/planner, so if I see something, and I can afford, and I want it, I buy it, or book the trip (a lot more of the latter, as travel is my passion).

Of course, I'm not buying designer clothes. I'm more a thrift store, LL Bean, Chico's shopper.

I do buy crafts, especially jewelry and ceramics, but again, I just buy stuff when I go to a craft show and never thought of it as a reward.

I can't imagine getting a tattoo or plastic surgery (Not a fan of pain).

I sort of agree with @FutureSylph - the weight loss is its own reward. I love that I can shop in regular stores now, but honestly, I'm not all that excited about the clothes they're selling. I love that I can fit more comfortably places, and walk faster.

Maybe I'll think of something. I'm open to suggestions...

8 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

When I hit my goal, I'm going to splurge on a Louis Vuitton purse with matching wallet. I have Coach, Michael Kors, Burberry, Dior, and Fendi. But my dream has always been to have a LV. I've never been able to convince myself to pull the trigger because the set costs as much as some used cars LOL But if I'm actually able to drop 190 pounds and hit my goal, that'll be exactly what I need to be able to bite the bullet and get my dream purse and wallet set.

Maybe I should upgrade my Amazon fanny pack when I get to goal! Or at least replace it with a non-plus-sized one so the strap doesn't dangle ridiculously! 🤣

I have always struggled to buy clothes, I am almost 63. I was biggish as a teenager but not overly fat. I was very sporty. I always seemed to be one size bigger than all the fashionable shops. So I started to shop from catalogues, which were expensive and as a young woman I didnt have much money. I made clothes too. Over the years this has taken all the joy out of clothes shopping . I have well and truly fell out of love with clothes. Now I am able to to shop anywhere, I am frequently saying well sod you, you didnt dress me before you can go fish now. I think I am very bitter and twisted about it dont you ?

LOVE all these answers. It's interesting to see how we differ. I definitely understand not being caught up on an arbitrary goal. I've quite literally used that word to describe weight loss numbers in the past but ultimately for me it's more about what it represents. As an adult I've never been less than 235 lbs and when I was that weight, I looked pretty "normal", was not "plus sized" in terms of clothing, seats, furniture etc.

So I know getting below that number would mean I'd definitely look "average" again or even less signifying I'd fit well into this supposed designer trench coat I want. Maybe that's a weird way to think but I guess it helps me understand where I'm trying to end up.

I believe I'll understand better just enjoying the weight loss as the days go by but I feel like being 262 lbs and 6 feet I'm not quite satisfied or can appreciate it yet. I still feel like a big football player lol but I'm trying to enjoy the results even if it's not over yet just thinking about where I began this journey at. It's a weirdly difficult battle, long, strange, trip.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have a lululemon jacket that I bought for a trip to nz 13 years ago and it was too tight. I always told myself I would fit it one day and now I do in fact it's loose these days but I still can't wear it cause it's to hot where I live so a trip to somewhere cold where I can wear it along with some beautiful boots would be a great reward for me .

I don't even know. I can't even buy clothes as I loose weight because I have so many from sizes 5x-1x and 26-14. lol

I have lost and gained so much weight my adult life I have a stock pile of clothes so I just go shopping in my closet.

I do always seem to get rid of the "too big" clothes because "I'll never get that fat again". Yet, keep all the smaller ones because "I will be that skinny again". HAHA Jokes on me, turns out I just have to keep buying fat girl clothes over and over. I have high hopes this is the last time now that I had surgery.

I want a designer cross body purse, but frankly I am cheap. haha I am perfectly happy with my $10 purse. Plus, once I am smaller I will have more options for the cross body actually fitting across my body.

Maybe I will finally splurge??

Also, travel travel travel! We love to travel, road trips are the best but sometimes just fly and be there. Depends on the trip. I stopped flying because I got so fat I didn't want to have to ask for a seat belt extender. Even when I was 100 lbs less, seats are still tight for me! I am "broad or wide" whatever you want to call it and tall so my knees are always in the seat in front of me.

Maybe I will plan a big trip?

I have a bunch of tattoos, so I wouldn't call that a reward for myself. Just another day. Although, I do want to get one to remind me of my journey and my "old self" and to never give up on myself! One that reflects how I feel and what I went thru to get here! (When I get "here")

You definitely have me thinking now though!!

That’s a great idea to give yourself a gift when you hit goal. Just keep in mind that if it’s clothing that you may either continue to lose or Gain the ten-ish pounds of Bounce back weight that many of us do.

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Maybe I should upgrade my Amazon fanny pack when I get to goal! Or at least replace it with a non-plus-sized one so the strap doesn't dangle ridiculously! 🤣

If you do want designer as a splurge, Michael Kors has a bag that can be worn as a cross body purse or as a waist bag. I got mine as a bday gift from my best friend. We found it at The outlets. It’s basically Just a small purse in which both the straps can come off so you can unhook it and put it around your waist and the strap adjusts to fit your waist, but it’s cute.

30 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

If you do want designer as a splurge, Michael Kors has a bag that can be worn as a cross body purse or as a waist bag. I got mine as a bday gift from my best friend. We found it at The outlets. It’s basically Just a small purse in which both the straps can come off so you can unhook it and put it around your waist and the strap adjusts to fit your waist, but it’s cute.

I'm not really a "designer" type person. I don't like that they always have big brand logos/designs, like I'm a walking ad for them. I feel like if they want me to advertise their brand, they should pay me! I have seen a similar product from a leathercrafter I bought a purse from for my mom, and that's a good idea - thanks!