Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to eat in the soft food stage?

Ate silken tofu, Soups, hummus, Jello pistachio sugar free with cashew milk, mashed potatoes, oat bran, yogurt, cottage cheese with taijima spice.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

23 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

What is an example of soft cheese?

Common types of soft cheese are feta, Brie, ricotta, cream cheese, Camembert, Chevre, Roquefort, and gorgonzola, and – of course – cottage cheese. All these cheeses have a special tangy creaminess that no other food imparts. Soft cheese is un-ripened cheese made by coagulating casein (milk proteins) with acid.

ALSO

Which soft cheese is healthiest?

One ounce of regular mozzarella cheese contains about 80 to 90 calories, 6 to 7 grams of Protein and 5 to 7 grams of total fat. However, all types of mozzarella cheese, even whole-milk mozzarella cheese varieties, are naturally lower in fat and calories compared to cheeses such as cheddar and Colby.

Here are 5 cheeses to try next time you go grocery shopping:

1. Cottage Cheese: A white curd cheese that is a light flavor, it mixes well with both sweet and savory ingredients. Mix it with fruit in the morning or top off a bowl of Pasta and Tomato sauce for a light dinner. Cottage cheese is high in phosphorous that aids in bone health and it contains all 9 amino acids. It comes in a variety of types: regular, low fat and nonfat. Low and nonfat are recommended since they contain less fat. While it has various nutritional benefits, it is high in sodium and portion size is key. A one four-ounce serving size of low 1% milk fat cottage contains 81 calories, 1.15 grams of fat and 459 mg of sodium.

2. Goat Cheese: Most popular in France and Spain, this white creamy cheese can be found soft or hard and has a tart flavor. Easier to digest than cow products, goat cheese can be a great alternative for people who are intolerant to cow’s milk. Goat cheese is packed with flavor. Use it in moderation — a little goes a long way. Toss into salads, top off roasted vegetables or add into a fruit salad. Goat cheese is low in calories, fat and has less sodium than feta. One ounce of soft goat cheese contains 76 calories, 6 g of fat and 130 mg of sodium.

3. Swiss: A hard cheese that is full of flavor. Swiss is a great lunch alternative to higher fat sandwich cheeses like provolone and cheddar. Chop up slices to use in a Cobb salad. Swiss is high in Vitamin A and low in calories, fat and sodium. One ounce contains 112 calories, 9 g of fat and 53 mg of sodium.

4. Parmesan: Originally from Italy, Parmesan has now become a household name. A dry cheese, it is easy to grate and has a salty, nutty flavor. Toss into salads, on Pasta or to top off risotto. Portion size is important. While Parmesan contains Vitamin A and is low in fat, it still contains a fair amount of sodium. One ounce of Parmesan contains 112 calories, 7 g of fat and 337 mg of sodium.

5. Part-Skim Mozzarella: Whole milk, part skim — what is the difference? Part skim has less fat in it and is the healthier choice. Another Italian favorite, mozzarella, mixes well in almost any dish. Grate it or melt it. Part skim fresh mozzarellas contain less sodium than hard mozzarellas. Mozzarella is packed with minerals and Vitamins, low in both fat and sodium. One ounce of mozzarella contains 99 calories, 5.8 g of fat and 200 mg of sodium.

What vegetables are soft?

Vegetables: (very well cooked, baked, scalloped, pureed, casseroles, soufflé)

Avocado.

Broccoli (heads only)

Potato (white or sweet)

Carrots.

Peas.

Beans.

Squash.

Turnips.

What meats are soft?

any moist, tender meats, fish, or poultry (lamb, veal, chicken, turkey, tender beef, liver stewed pork), eggs, creamy Peanut Butter

This is very helpful info. But oh my, creamy Peanut Butter 😳. I love peanut butter, I could eat it all day long. So this might not be good for me lol.

13 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I was allowed to have ground meat at soft foods, but check with your surgery center. I am 8 months out and I still eat a lot of ground meat because it's easier for me to eat.

I ate a lot of sugar free Greek yogurt, refried Beans, cheese, eggs, chili, fish, etc.

Your nutritionist should be able to give you some ideas, but one thing I found is that I didn't like eating for the first few months after surgery, even though I was hungry. It hurt to eat and food didn't taste good. I just did it anyway.

I was hoping my taste buds would change after surgery but so far they haven't. 🥺

10 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

I ate a LOT of hummus during that stage.

I've never had hummus. Honestly I don't know what it is or how you eat it lol

6 minutes ago, Happy Stylist said:

It’s made from chick peas. Most people eat is on crackers or pretzels. Obviously not if you are in the early stages post op though.

Edited by ShoppGirl

13 minutes ago, Happy Stylist said:

It comes in several flavors. There's plain, roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, greek inspired, etc... My favorite brand is Sabra. For now, I'm getting plain and having it with avocado. Makes my mouth Water just thinking about it 😛

Today was DAY 1 of soft foods for me. I had 2 ounces of baked tilapia and refried Beans for dinner. I ate every bite of fish mixed with the beans. No issues or side effects. It was so good!

ACBB2213-6801-4193-84EF-F5F22D5D8B01.jpeg

On 5/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

What is an example of soft cheese?

Common types of soft cheese are feta, Brie, ricotta, cream cheese, Camembert, Chevre, Roquefort, and gorgonzola, and – of course – cottage cheese. All these cheeses have a special tangy creaminess that no other food imparts. Soft cheese is un-ripened cheese made by coagulating casein (milk proteins) with acid.

ALSO

Which soft cheese is healthiest?

One ounce of regular mozzarella cheese contains about 80 to 90 calories, 6 to 7 grams of Protein and 5 to 7 grams of total fat. However, all types of mozzarella cheese, even whole-milk mozzarella cheese varieties, are naturally lower in fat and calories compared to cheeses such as cheddar and Colby.

Here are 5 cheeses to try next time you go grocery shopping:

1. Cottage Cheese: A white curd cheese that is a light flavor, it mixes well with both sweet and savory ingredients. Mix it with fruit in the morning or top off a bowl of Pasta and Tomato sauce for a light dinner. Cottage cheese is high in phosphorous that aids in bone health and it contains all 9 amino acids. It comes in a variety of types: regular, low fat and nonfat. Low and nonfat are recommended since they contain less fat. While it has various nutritional benefits, it is high in sodium and portion size is key. A one four-ounce serving size of low 1% milk fat cottage contains 81 calories, 1.15 grams of fat and 459 mg of sodium.

2. Goat Cheese: Most popular in France and Spain, this white creamy cheese can be found soft or hard and has a tart flavor. Easier to digest than cow products, goat cheese can be a great alternative for people who are intolerant to cow’s milk. Goat cheese is packed with flavor. Use it in moderation — a little goes a long way. Toss into salads, top off roasted vegetables or add into a fruit salad. Goat cheese is low in calories, fat and has less sodium than feta. One ounce of soft goat cheese contains 76 calories, 6 g of fat and 130 mg of sodium.

3. Swiss: A hard cheese that is full of flavor. Swiss is a great lunch alternative to higher fat sandwich cheeses like provolone and cheddar. Chop up slices to use in a Cobb salad. Swiss is high in Vitamin A and low in calories, fat and sodium. One ounce contains 112 calories, 9 g of fat and 53 mg of sodium.

4. Parmesan: Originally from Italy, Parmesan has now become a household name. A dry cheese, it is easy to grate and has a salty, nutty flavor. Toss into salads, on Pasta or to top off risotto. Portion size is important. While Parmesan contains Vitamin A and is low in fat, it still contains a fair amount of sodium. One ounce of Parmesan contains 112 calories, 7 g of fat and 337 mg of sodium.

5. Part-Skim Mozzarella: Whole milk, part skim — what is the difference? Part skim has less fat in it and is the healthier choice. Another Italian favorite, mozzarella, mixes well in almost any dish. Grate it or melt it. Part skim fresh mozzarellas contain less sodium than hard mozzarellas. Mozzarella is packed with minerals and Vitamins, low in both fat and sodium. One ounce of mozzarella contains 99 calories, 5.8 g of fat and 200 mg of sodium.

What vegetables are soft?

Vegetables: (very well cooked, baked, scalloped, pureed, casseroles, soufflé)

Avocado.

Broccoli (heads only)

Potato (white or sweet)

Carrots.

Peas.

Beans.

Squash.

Turnips.

What meats are soft?

any moist, tender meats, fish, or poultry (lamb, veal, chicken, turkey, tender beef, liver stewed pork), eggs, creamy Peanut Butter

You're a QUEEN for responding in such beautiful detail!!!! I appreciate all the information. Definitely taking some notes from what you wrote.

18 minutes ago, Vivis said:

You're a QUEEN for responding in such beautiful detail!!!! I appreciate all the information. Definitely taking some notes from what you wrote.

Thank you :) It was information I needed, as well, so I knew if I did, others would too ) Glad it helped.

15 minutes ago, WylieCranston said:

When can I eat Peanut Butter? ???

Check with your dietician. Some recommend waiting for a while but it can depend on what type you eat. Personally I found the no added salt or sugar ones very oily & tasteless. I tried a couple of different brands & tossed them all. Oh & watch the lite versions - the nutritional difference & calories is minimal.

On 05/09/2022 at 18:13, Happy Stylist said:

My soft foods start at 3 weeks. 🥺

So do mine. I have a nutrition class to attend today devoted solely to soft foods.

On 05/10/2022 at 20:34, ShoppGirl said:

It’s made from chick peas. Most people eat is on crackers or pretzels. Obviously not if you are in the early stages post op though.

I had some hummus yesterday. Used a teaspoon and had the smallest amount. It was delicious.