Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery midweek-eek and yay-big change at older age

My surgery is coming fast, it was moved up via a cancellation to next week, eek! I’m a combo of fear of the unknown, and calmness of giving it up to the professionals to care for me. I’m over 60 and really never considered I could stop the diet cycle by having WLS. A family member had it, and was happy they did it, this and knowing a few WLS veterans happy with their surgery, spurred me on to do gastric bypass. They had a good recovery with no issues. I’m hoping for a great outcome and that it resolves my Gerd and sleep apnea in time as well.

I fear pain, Hair loss, complications, how I’ll feel about all that skin, regrets. I look forward to many positive body changes, more energy, onederland, not being obese, cuter clothes 😀

I appreciate everyone sharing here! I’ve learned a lot.

Congratulations on your surgery date. Have you started your pre op diet yet?

3 hours ago, Whats Next said:

My surgery is coming fast, it was moved up via a cancellation to next week, eek! I’m a combo of fear of the unknown, and calmness of giving it up to the professionals to care for me. I’m over 60 and really never considered I could stop the diet cycle by having WLS. A family member had it, and was happy they did it, this and knowing a few WLS veterans happy with their surgery, spurred me on to do gastric bypass. They had a good recovery with no issues. I’m hoping for a great outcome and that it resolves my Gerd and sleep apnea in time as well.

I fear pain, Hair loss, complications, how I’ll feel about all that skin, regrets. I look forward to many positive body changes, more energy, onederland, not being obese, cuter clothes 😀

I appreciate everyone sharing here! I’ve learned a lot.

You know, I'm almost 4 months post-op. I have yet to have hair loss... Pain--and I have had a few surgeries in my lifetime--is not that bad. They will probably give you a few pain pills. Use them. After the first few days, you should start to feel better. I have had nausea--but figured a way to cope with that. Just bought some new clothes this past weekend, in a smaller size--nothing feels better than that, lol!

9 hours ago, Deletedaccounts said:

My surgery is tomorrow! I have the same fears — Hair loss ,skin,etc — already losing my hair (hashimotos). But supposedly the Vitamins will help :)

Mine is tomorrow too! Good luck to us! I have baby fine hair so losing more will be upsetting. I know they say it’s temporary but it has to regrow and mines not short.

10 hours ago, mafer1980 said:

I start the 12th yikes

Good luck! Only one day liquid for me and it wasn’t hard. I’m worried how my new tiny tummy will take that first sip and subsequent ones, I’m not on a preop nausea patch due to age. I guess I’ll wait and see instead of worrying. Nah, I’ll worry -lol

I’m 62 and they gave me the preop nausea patch. My surgery was Friday and i haven’t had any nausea so far

On 5/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, sprukop0924 said:

I’m 62 and they gave me the preop nausea patch. My surgery was Friday and i haven’t had any nausea so far

The surgeon said I could have patch if needed, the messaging from nurse and doctor was a bit contradictory regarding age and issues with older people using patch. I got a scrip, didn’t use. I’ve had distress and took an anti nausea med provided. Much better today, 5 days out.