Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI question 🙋‍♀️

How long did it take you to have a bowel movement after your RNY? I hear it can take up to 7 days to have one…not liking that idea so I’ve been taking Miralax daily so far. How long for you? Did you need something to help get it going? 😜

5 minutes ago, redhead_che said:

How long did it take you to have a bowel movement after your RNY? I hear it can take up to 7 days to have one…not liking that idea so I’ve been taking Miralax daily so far. How long for you? Did you need something to help get it going? 😜

I was told to take colace post surgery by the dr and I had to take milk of magnesia when it had been several days but that worked fine and I went that night. Then I was told to take soluable Fiber such as benefiber daily to keep things moving and I haven’t had any problem since. Walmart has generic benefiber powder that is far more reasonable, fyi.

Hello,

I had a BM about 3 days after surgery. I didn't take any medicine, it was just natural. Although, the sugar free popsicles did not agree with my stomach so it was diarrhea.

I have only had watery bm and that started about day 3 post op. I know I'm not bypass, but I was basically told the same thing by my surgeon. And I took Colace on day 3 to get any movement at all by that night. Since I'm still on all liquids, I *assume* I'm not doing a solid bm and it's basically Water because of that.

Immediately after surgery I had Diarrhoea for 2 days. Then I was very sick and dehydrated. I had a 6 day hospital stay. I think I went 9 days without a bowel movement after that. I tried everything but in the end I had to resort to a pair of marigold gloves...... The relief I felt was worth the 'the cure'

I had diarrhea for a few days, then a bout of Constipation for about a week and have been regular ever since.

A week.

I eventually had to take something to get it moving along.

After that, I guess I am one of the 'lucky' ones! I go everyday/every second day and I don't take anything for it.

It happened with a little help from miralax 🙃🙌 thanks all!

35 minutes ago, canadianpopcycle said:

A week.

I eventually had to take something to get it moving along.

After that, I guess I am one of the 'lucky' ones! I go everyday/every second day and I don't take anything for it.

Me tooo! Which is really exciting for me because for about the last 8ish years I have been suffering with Constipation. I was really worried it would be worse after surgery and so far its normal without any meds or supplements.

Like other bypass patients, I went from watery stools post-surgery to Constipation.

One thing that helps prevent constipation is taking a daily high quality probiotic (look for something with at least 5 billion CFU and multiple probiotic strains). When I routinely take one, I don't get constipated. Then I ran out and went a few days without taking it and I was backed up like a Friday afternoon freeway after a car accident.

Currently 4 days post op. I immediately began taking a stool softener once home from the hospital. I took one with each shake and had 2 BMs on day 2 post op and another one today on day 4. I'm also adding Benefiber to my morning Water. I'm actually surprised I didn't have issues with Constipation because historically I do. My gastro had me on Miralax daily before surgery which I plan to resume at the two week post op point unless I need it sooner.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, redhead_che said:

My bari team told me never to go more than 3 days without pooping. I started Miralax daily while I was still in the hospital. On day 3 post-op when I still hadn't gone, I added a dose of Milk of Magnesia and that got things moving. I'm 3 months post op and if I haven't pooped in 2 days, I take Miralax to help get things moving. Thankfully I need the Miralax less often now! And yes, I track in my planner whether I've had a BM or not that day, haha!

@ElleyOtter I track it too in my Baritastic app 🤣. Just finished a morning Gatorade zero with some miralax 🤓