Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone having surgery in July

I am scheduled to have my surgery on July 5th and I'm not sure if I should start to diet now to loose weight before surgery. What are your thoughts are you doing anything special to loose some weight before surgery?

I did not but I was a lower BMI to start and was worried I would lose Just enough to not qualify for surgery and then gain it all back like I always do. Many people do though. Anything you lose now is just less you have to lose later. Plus it is a good chance to start practicing what you will be doing post surgery.

Just got my date today for July! I don’t have a pre-op diet but I’m supposed to work toward small weight loss 2 - 4 lbs a month and adjusting to eating more often

I just started my program, and I’m on a 3 month schedule. The expectation is - if all goes as planned, I will be scheduled in July or early August.

I have started working in small changes to hopefully help make the transitions after surgery easier (and to prove to myself that I can do this). The program nutritionist gave me a book to outline changes I should start incorporating and sent me some recipe suggestions to try.

I was told that I’m not required to loose any weight but that I absolutely can not gain any. My personal hope is I will loose some. I’ve already lost about 40 lbs on my own trying to get into the right mind set for this journey … and figure anything I can loose between now and surgery date will be a benefit for recovery and help my over all health.

I am scheduled for July 5th as well! I am super excited and not nervous at all. I don’t plan on losing any weight but just maintaining where I am at. 😀

I'm scheduled for July7. I'm not required to start pre op diet until 2 weeks prior which will be low carb very low cal. I started on my own yesterday with low carb moderate calorie to get a jump on it. Would love to get the first 20 pounds behind me before surgery day.

My surgery date is July 19th

I’m scheduled for July 6th! I can’t believe it. I’m not focusing on losing weight per se but I am focusing on increasing my activity level so it won’t be a shocker for my body post op. I am eating whole foods and incorporating more Protein but I am still allowing myself a few indulgences here and there, because, need I state the obvious? So far I have lost a few pounds but I’m mostly maintaining. I have worked my way up to an hour = 19 miles on my exercise bike every other day, I know that’s going to help me IMMENSELY post surgery.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, Edmira said:

I’m scheduled for July 6th! I can’t believe it. I’m not focusing on losing weight per se but I am focusing on increasing my activity level so it won’t be a shocker for my body post op. I am eating whole foods and incorporating more Protein but I am still allowing myself a few indulgences here and there, because, need I state the obvious? So far I have lost a few pounds but I’m mostly maintaining. I have worked my way up to an hour = 19 miles on my exercise bike every other day, I know that’s going to help me IMMENSELY post surgery.

That is awesome! I need to start walking more. Do you feel nervous at all about the surgery? I am getting more nervous it's getting closer.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:06 PM, Sheila S said:

That is awesome! I need to start walking more. Do you feel nervous at all about the surgery? I am getting more nervous it's getting closer.

Yes, nervous alternating with excited. Some nights it's hard to sleep (and sometimes I find myself distracted by some message boards when I should be doing other things :) ). I definitely need to exercise more. Went swimming tonight which was wonderful. Told myself I need to do that as much as possible in the next month since I won't be able to for most of July. I'll just sit on the sidelines burning fat hopefully and sipping on Water (doesn't sound so bad really).