Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Struggle Watching Your Family Eat?



Recommended Posts

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol

Yes! But I never order my own…just have a few from my family and I am satisfied! That’s the beauty of the surgery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol
I've had a few a couple of times but it was fine the first time but the second made me sick. I don't plan on trying again

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No lie, I was angry initially. I don't think I could've stuck to the regulations had I not lived alone. I was fortunate in that case, and didn't cohabitate until almost two months later. I was told my taste buds would reset and have they ever. Because I was eating foods with so much sugar, things like strawberries, oranges, and grapes, just didn't cut it for me. Now that I've abruptly stopped bingeing on added sugars formulated in laboratories and not found anywhere in nature, fruit is a treat to me. I never thought an orange would be so delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SoCalEm said:

I was told my taste buds would reset and have they ever. Because I was eating foods with so much sugar, things like strawberries, oranges, and grapes, just didn't cut it for me. Now that I've abruptly stopped bingeing on added sugars formulated in laboratories and not found anywhere in nature, fruit is a treat to me. I never thought an orange would be so delicious!

Embracing the tastebud changes & losing the craving for sugar was a big win for me too. I gave up soft drinks (sodas) years ago so I didn’t have to break my addiction to them but I enjoyed dessert & always at a sweet treat after dinner. I haven’t done that since surgery. Don’t miss it either. I will have a couple of spoons of dessert at Christmas (I make the Christmas Desserts so …) & then maybe a bite of one or two sweet things a year. Had a bite of a friend’s wedding cake last year - it was awful. But nothing yet this year. I remember accidentally picking up a box of honey oats during Covid lockdown in 2020. It was so crazy sweet I couldn’t eat it.

Yes, fruit is my sweet treat now too (but I always enjoyed fruit). I have blueberries every day with Breakfast. Occasionally I might snack on some other fruit. I avoid artificial sweeteners where possible (they just feed your sweet cravings) & as I cook most of my own food from scratch it’s easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make it a point to eat with my family too. No one cares that I skip the rice or burger Buns. They are happy we are eating meat again instead of veggie burgers or Beans. I do miss sweets like Cookies or candy. I HAVE to have a snack before shopping to avoid it! If I bring it home, it lives in my son’s room. The horrible teenage boy smells keep me out of there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t mind at all, I’m the cook at home and I’ve adapted my recipes! He just gets a big bowl and I get a small one 😁 I don’t avoid Pasta, rice or potatoes, but watch the fat and sugar content very closely. (Right now I’m 1.5 kg away of having lost 100% of my excess weight btw)
Thankfully he doesn’t bring home or order take out/fast food, that’s a mutual decision that is working out well for both of us 😁
Re: supermarkets, I have only set foot in one twice since my surgery end of august 2021! I get my groceries delivered once a week and I absolutely love it. For me the service is money well spent, not only is food shopping a complete waste of time (imo) it is way too busy and frustrating to try to do your shopping outside of work, and everything inside the store is geared towards getting you to buy unnecessary things.
It’s also really helped me disconnect from food in a way, by engaging with it less overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Summermoose said:

I really don’t mind at all, I’m the cook at home and I’ve adapted my recipes! He just gets a big bowl and I get a small one 😁 I don’t avoid Pasta, rice or potatoes, but watch the fat and sugar content very closely. (Right now I’m 1.5 kg away of having lost 100% of my excess weight btw)
Thankfully he doesn’t bring home or order take out/fast food, that’s a mutual decision that is working out well for both of us 😁
Re: supermarkets, I have only set foot in one twice since my surgery end of august 2021! I get my groceries delivered once a week and I absolutely love it. For me the service is money well spent, not only is food shopping a complete waste of time (imo) it is way too busy and frustrating to try to do your shopping outside of work, and everything inside the store is geared towards getting you to buy unnecessary things.
It’s also really helped me disconnect from food in a way, by engaging with it less overall.

I do grocery pickup for the same reason. I don’t have to go into the store and be tempted by things that aren’t on my list and it saves time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had about 20 french fries in total in the last 6 months. Like one or two at a time when my family or friends order them. And they are still super nice. But one or two is all I want/can handle. Abso-flipping-lutely love that I can do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Sunshine Princess

      I just had a teaspoon of hummus with a teaspoon of avocado topped with a teaspoon of greek yogurt and it. was. GLORIOUS. I'm four days out and my surgeon gave me the greenlight to work in small amounts of pureed food. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lizardskelter

      done
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • heyitsdilly

      I've officially surpassed 80lbs of weight loss! Working on that 100lbs!
      · 1 reply
      1. acopas

        Way to go!

    • Songbyrd420

      Kind of nervous, as expected. One month out from surgery!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lauren.g

      😫 Hi, I’m new to bariatricpal! I am 8 days post op VSG. I am struggling very badly. I’ve been so emotional because I feel like I’m doing wrong. I’m afraid I’ll eat or drink to fast or eat the wrong thing. I’ve been on Pinterest and YouTube constantly for help. I have followed all of my surgeons and dieticians instructions. I just don’t know if my body is getting enough. Today, I am weak, sore, and just exhausted. 
      · 2 replies
      1. Tara A

        It passes!! Everyone goes though it! It is a short term emotion! I'm almost five years post op! You made the right decision! Don't focus on the change right now. Try to entertain your mind. What your feeling only last about a week. It's related to your body adjusting and you mind adjusting. You got this!!

      2. SleeverSk

        I agree with Tara it's hard right now but it gets better do t forget your hormones will be all over the place you may even feel depressed. Be kind to yourself reach out and talk to people how you are feeling .

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×