Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Struggle Watching Your Family Eat?

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol

2 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol

Yes! But I never order my own…just have a few from my family and I am satisfied! That’s the beauty of the surgery!

I've had a few a couple of times but it was fine the first time but the second made me sick. I don't plan on trying again

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

No lie, I was angry initially. I don't think I could've stuck to the regulations had I not lived alone. I was fortunate in that case, and didn't cohabitate until almost two months later. I was told my taste buds would reset and have they ever. Because I was eating foods with so much sugar, things like strawberries, oranges, and grapes, just didn't cut it for me. Now that I've abruptly stopped bingeing on added sugars formulated in laboratories and not found anywhere in nature, fruit is a treat to me. I never thought an orange would be so delicious!

4 hours ago, SoCalEm said:

I was told my taste buds would reset and have they ever. Because I was eating foods with so much sugar, things like strawberries, oranges, and grapes, just didn't cut it for me. Now that I've abruptly stopped bingeing on added sugars formulated in laboratories and not found anywhere in nature, fruit is a treat to me. I never thought an orange would be so delicious!

Embracing the tastebud changes & losing the craving for sugar was a big win for me too. I gave up soft drinks (sodas) years ago so I didn’t have to break my addiction to them but I enjoyed dessert & always at a sweet treat after dinner. I haven’t done that since surgery. Don’t miss it either. I will have a couple of spoons of dessert at Christmas (I make the Christmas Desserts so …) & then maybe a bite of one or two sweet things a year. Had a bite of a friend’s wedding cake last year - it was awful. But nothing yet this year. I remember accidentally picking up a box of honey oats during Covid lockdown in 2020. It was so crazy sweet I couldn’t eat it.

Yes, fruit is my sweet treat now too (but I always enjoyed fruit). I have blueberries every day with Breakfast. Occasionally I might snack on some other fruit. I avoid artificial sweeteners where possible (they just feed your sweet cravings) & as I cook most of my own food from scratch it’s easier.

I make it a point to eat with my family too. No one cares that I skip the rice or burger Buns. They are happy we are eating meat again instead of veggie burgers or Beans. I do miss sweets like Cookies or candy. I HAVE to have a snack before shopping to avoid it! If I bring it home, it lives in my son’s room. The horrible teenage boy smells keep me out of there!

I really don’t mind at all, I’m the cook at home and I’ve adapted my recipes! He just gets a big bowl and I get a small one 😁 I don’t avoid Pasta, rice or potatoes, but watch the fat and sugar content very closely. (Right now I’m 1.5 kg away of having lost 100% of my excess weight btw)
Thankfully he doesn’t bring home or order take out/fast food, that’s a mutual decision that is working out well for both of us 😁
Re: supermarkets, I have only set foot in one twice since my surgery end of august 2021! I get my groceries delivered once a week and I absolutely love it. For me the service is money well spent, not only is food shopping a complete waste of time (imo) it is way too busy and frustrating to try to do your shopping outside of work, and everything inside the store is geared towards getting you to buy unnecessary things.
It’s also really helped me disconnect from food in a way, by engaging with it less overall.

9 minutes ago, Summermoose said:

I really don’t mind at all, I’m the cook at home and I’ve adapted my recipes! He just gets a big bowl and I get a small one 😁 I don’t avoid Pasta, rice or potatoes, but watch the fat and sugar content very closely. (Right now I’m 1.5 kg away of having lost 100% of my excess weight btw)
Thankfully he doesn’t bring home or order take out/fast food, that’s a mutual decision that is working out well for both of us 😁
Re: supermarkets, I have only set foot in one twice since my surgery end of august 2021! I get my groceries delivered once a week and I absolutely love it. For me the service is money well spent, not only is food shopping a complete waste of time (imo) it is way too busy and frustrating to try to do your shopping outside of work, and everything inside the store is geared towards getting you to buy unnecessary things.
It’s also really helped me disconnect from food in a way, by engaging with it less overall.

I do grocery pickup for the same reason. I don’t have to go into the store and be tempted by things that aren’t on my list and it saves time.

I have had about 20 french fries in total in the last 6 months. Like one or two at a time when my family or friends order them. And they are still super nice. But one or two is all I want/can handle. Abso-flipping-lutely love that I can do that.