Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychology appt anxious

1 minute ago, thinblueline said:

Shoppgrl , Thank you for being so prompt i am relieved it's a non issue because my quality of life is down to a stand still i mean i can get around but clothes either don't fit me and i go shopping and i cant find anything that fits its so frustrating i have to either wear shorts or sweatpants forget about jeans that is out of the question anyway i don't mean to babble, i am having the gastric sleeve i cant wait to get my life back its so amazing how the weight just creeps up on you and youre 296 lbs i have never been this heavy and its scares me i cannot weight for the surgery date and i know its all a process but i hate to wait , how are things going with you i see you pretty much reached your goal weight that awesome , good for you, i hope to hear back from you with some advice if you wouldn't mind i would appreciate it.

Coop

I did reach my goal weight but one bit of advice I am uniquely qualified to offer is about goal weight. I have bipolar disorder as well and statistically those with bipolar do not always lose AS MUCH weight as those who don’t have it. My nurse practitioner said she is guessing it’s between the meds and the depression we are just up against more struggles. Anyways, you may have noticed that my goal weight is a little higher than some. I am still trying to lose a little more but I set my first goal a little higher because I wanted to set myself up for success. The 180 weight is one that I remembered attaining before on diets and I knew it was a weight in which I felt good about myself and wanted to go out and do things. A weight where I could easily find clothes and I felt comfortable in them. There have been others with bipolar disorder that I have noticed on here who have set their goals lower and some who have reached them already so it is possible but For me I set my mind that if I got to 180 I would consider the surgery a success and I think that has helped me to not feel like a failure for not reaching a less realistic goal. If that makes sense.

Yes , that does make sense being a male i think getting down to 180 is NOT realistic as I'm 290 now and i just can't see myself at 180 now if i get down to 240 250 i am comfortable with that because i have had both hips replaced and i lose 55 lbs before surgery and felt great but of course i put it all back and then some even if i lose 60 lbs I'd be happy anyway thank you for sharing with you having bipolar most would not share such personal stuff.

Coop

Yes , that does make sense being a male i think getting down to 180 is NOT realistic as I'm 290 now and i just can't see myself at 180 now if i get down to 240 250 i am comfortable with that because i have had both hips replaced and i lose 55 lbs before surgery and felt great but of course i put it all back and then some even if i lose 60 lbs I'd be happy anyway thank you for sharing with you having bipolar most would not share such personal stuff.

Coop

Yea you have to set a goal that is realistic for YOUR body. But that doesn’t mean you have to stop there of course if you are still losing easily. I went past 180 and tried for 160 but I only got to 169 and then I gained so I realized that I had reached my low weight and gained back the typical ten pounds that most people do before they settle in to their maintenance weight.

The problem i have with food is i know when i am full but i go back for more for instance dinner i eat until i am full but i make the excuse that i want more i don't know how to explain it and i drink a lot of fluids and then i feel bloat and i hate the feeling it gives me i lose my breath and the only way for me to feel better and to catch my breath is to lay on my back in bed and then i let out this burp ( sorry TMI i know) then i get up and feel a little better anyway what causes the bloat ?

Rich

I forgot to mention when it gets close to dinner time my wife or i will say to the other "what do you want for dinner " i hate thinking about food or my wife or i will say while we are eating dinner what do you want for dinner tomorrow night we are not even finished with the meal in front of us and Shes asking about the next nights menu if you will....By the way my wife had gastric bypass surgery years ago and has stayed under 200 ( this is NOT her goal weight ) for years i think it's been like 17 years and she's a chef and has bachelors degree, I think in culinary arts i will talk with you soon.

Edited by thinblueline

6 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

The problem i have with food is i know when i am full but i go back for more for instance dinner i eat until i am full but i make the excuse that i want more i don't know how to explain it and i drink a lot of fluids and then i feel bloat and i hate the feeling it gives me i lose my breath and the only way for me to feel better and to catch my breath is to lay on my back in bed and then i let out this burp ( sorry TMI i know) then i get up and feel a little better anyway what causes the bloat ?

Rich

You will have to work on both of these things. The sleeve surgery should reduce your hunger hormone and will make you eat smaller portions but it won’t stop you from going back for seconds and thirds after a bit of time passes. If you are eating because you are board or because of emotions you may benefit from a bariatric therapist because boredom and emotional eating is disordered eating. The fluids you will have to learn to take smaller sips more often but your body should send you signals to help make that change. It will hurt if you drink too fast.

I have heard that if i eat to fast i will get sick (my wife told me this actually) i tend to eat big bites and again my wife tells me if you eat a big piece you're going to get sick now as far as seconds and thirds i don't know why i do it i know i am full yet i do it why do you think i do it as far as the emotional eating or being board i am not sure if i do both or one or the the other if i had to guess id say emotional i know i drink a lot when i am bored which i mentioned about feeling bloated, i tend to gulp when i drink.

Edited by thinblueline

12 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

I have heard that if i eat to fast i will get sick (my wife told me this actually) i tend to eat big bites and again my wife tells me if you eat a big piece you're going to get sick now as far as seconds and thirds i don't know why i do it i know i am full yet i do it why do you think i do it as far as the emotional eating or being board i am not sure if i do both or one or the the other if i had to guess id say emotional i know i drink a lot when i am bored which i mentioned about feeling bloated, i tend to gulp when i drink.

You will most likely get sick if you take too big of bites. Especially in the beginning.

Is getting sick the catlyst for me to learn by my mistakes in that big bites will be my downfall i hope that makes sense

My practice had a policy that if you were under a psychiatrist or therapist care they had to sign off that they feel it’s in your best interest. 🤷🏼‍♀️

They both are on board with WLS for me as a mattered of fact my primary mentioned me to have the surgery.!

48 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

Is getting sick the catlyst for me to learn by my mistakes in that big bites will be my downfall i hope that makes sense

Well getting sick should certainly teach you but hopefully you learn by just not doing it because you know you will get sick.

I hope i don't go down that road Lisa tells me it's not fun am fortunate in that it takes a lot for me to get sick so i will be more aware of this advice, i have heard there will be foods i will never eat again as a result of the surgery, is that true ?

I hope i don't go down that road Lisa tells me it's not fun am fortunate in that it takes a lot for me to get sick so i will be more aware of this advice, i have heard there will be foods i will never eat again as a result of the surgery, is that true ?

For some people certain things like bread sit heavy and they lose interest in it or certain meats are dry and just harder to swallow but that’s not everyone. I am 14 months out and I can eat anything I ate pre op. Just in smaller portions.

My biggest fear is i won't catch on and follow the diet if you will i will just eat what i want regardless if i get sick or not i am very , very stubborn and i have this mind set i want what i want and i want it now from the sounds of it there are a lot of restrictions and i feel like i will push back if i can't have what i want i am not saying will i just know i don't want to run into a brick wall and defy this blessing to lose weight with the help of the people in my journey.

4 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

My biggest fear is i won't catch on and follow the diet if you will i will just eat what i want regardless if i get sick or not i am very , very stubborn and i have this mind set i want what i want and i want it now from the sounds of it there are a lot of restrictions and i feel like i will push back if i can't have what i want i am not saying will i just know i don't want to run into a brick wall and defy this blessing to lose weight with the help of the people in my journey.

These are things you may want to talk to the bariatric therapist about. If you aren’t sure you can follow the rules then maybe you aren’t quite ready. Maybe you need to explore these concerns a little further. You don’t have to rush the process. Wait until you are ready.