Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight stall at 9 months

I am a 69 y/o female that had VSG on 8/10/21. I am a slow loser, I have lost 51 pounds. I have gained 3 lbs back. Depressed also have eaten some high carb foods, but have gotten back on diet. Am retired not alot of physical activity. I do try to ride stationary bike. Any other people that are having similar problems? Would appreciate any advice on breaking stall.

What is your current BMI? I got down close to my goal and stalled and then gained and it was the end of my weight loss. If you aren’t close to goal though it could just be a fluctuation. A three pound gain could be anything. Small fluctuations like that happen. For me when I eat carbs especially. It’s Water weight and it goes away after a couple days without carbs. Are you still tracking what you eat? If you haven’t reached your bodies happy weight or accidentally put yourself into maintenance by increasing calories it is just a fluctuation. Time will tell.

Edited by ShoppGirl

ShopGirl thanks for your input it's encouraging. MyBMI is 30 or more my goal wt is 140 lbs.stopped tracking and weighing food, am going to start again. Are you going to do a reset or get another procedure? I wish you God's Speed and much success. Oh my current wt. Is 195 lbs. Haven't been below 200 in 15 years.

1 hour ago, pettybecky said:

ShopGirl thanks for your input it's encouraging. MyBMI is 30 or more my goal wt is 140 lbs.stopped tracking and weighing food, am going to start again. Are you going to do a reset or get another procedure? I wish you God's Speed and much success. Oh my current wt. Is 195 lbs. Haven't been below 200 in 15 years.

I actually think this is where my body is happy and with my meds it may be as low as I get without taking weight loss meds or doing another procedure. I wouldn’t do another procedure at this point but I am going to talk to my doctor about the meds. I am at 179 and I am 5’8” so I am a little above a “normal” BMI but I would be happy here if I knew I could maintain it. Any heavier and I will have to reassess.

We all lose at our own rate & unfortunately our rate of loss slows as we get closer to goal. I wouldn’t worry about the 3lb weight gain. Yes, it could be a fluctuation & it could be as you said, you’re not monitoring your food intake as often & have gone off plan. Getting back on your plan is your best way forward.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your level of activity. I really didn’t & still don’t exercise. I lost all my weight & more. The truth is exercise accounts only for a 10-20% loss of the weight you have to lose. Got 50lbs to lose, exercising will account for only 5-10lbs. Of course there are physical, emotional & psychological benefits to exercise which will influence your decision but how much & how often you exercise is ultimately yours.

I am 8 months post op and just went through a 3 week stall. Increased exercise and really concentrated on recording my food intake as well as increased walking. I am back to losing. I am not stopping until at my ideal body weight. For years I thought it was impossible to be at ideal weight. After 105 pounds and 14 inches off my waste, 5 inches on my neck and countless other successes, I am going to push through stalls and refuse to settle at a weight my body tries to settle at. I am getting to less than a 25 BMI.