Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared...what will happen when I'm an old lady??

During the early months it did take some effort to eat for ME. food aversion and limited stomach capacity were often at odd with nutritional quotas. I needed to set a timer to remind myself to eat.

As time went by, as well as the increased ability to just eat more and more often, it started to become less of a chore.

I’m 3.5 years out now and i basically just eat when im hungry or when i feel like it. No set times nor amounts or “rules” to adhere to other than to aim to stay below 2000 cals a day more or less (yep, i’m one of those trackers) , and not make myself sick. I have long ago learned what my limits are, eating-wise, and am pretty good at staying within these limits without thinking too much.

P.S. I too am a 50-yr old Canadian with (three) kids. Im also 5’2” so it can be argued that I’m a little old lady already! Lol. …and i’m doing just fine.

I had surgery 10/18/21 and remember thinking a lot initially about this, like ok should I be drinking all the time when not within 30 minutes of eating???? You develop a routine and it works. Like others suggested, maybe changing one thing at a time like drinking more or eating at regular intervals.

My surgeon said I wasn't eating enough at 3 months, told me to increase to 5 times per day. That's a struggle sometimes but at 6 months I was at 77% of excess weight lost and I noticed it's better with less plateaus when I do that.

You can do it, and btw I was 49 on surgery day and now I'm 50 and in better health than I was at 49!

On 5/6/2022 at 3:37 PM, traceymmm said:

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I'm a 50 year old mother of two from Canada. I was just about to pick my June surgery date when it struck me, what will happen when I'm really old and can't really manage eating/drinking every 30 minutes? Now I'm a bit scared. I have already noticed that I'm not as good at organizing and planning things as I used to be when I'm younger. Is it true for post-surgery, you basically need to either be drinking or eating every half hour or so to get in all your Protein and Water? Is this just in the first few years? I can't imagine when I'm in a home or over 80 (god willing!), that I or my care provider will be able to manage that type of schedule. How easy is it to get dehydrated if you don't take in any liquids for like half a day?

Thoughts? Am I just getting cold feet?

After about 6 months you are going to be pretty much normal except for the volume of food you eat. I eat 3 meals a day, just smaller. As far as drinking, you will not have to keep drinking small amounts throughout the day because you will be able to drink more at a given time so as long as you get in enough Water for the day, you do not have to keep drinking. I drink a 24 ounce of bottle of water in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening for a total of 72 oz. Then throughout the day I may have some tea, Protein Drink or additional liquids to add to the 72. It is really not hard at all.