Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my surgery Tues came home yesterday evening. Im super sore which is to be expected, I can only cat nap. Most sleep I have gotten straight is 3 hours. I cannot get into my bed so Im in a recliner. My legs are massively swelling. Ive been making myself get up and walk laps in my house. Most everything I drink that has Protein in it I gag and about throw up. Im wondering if Im just being a big baby? I always thought I had a high tolerance of pain but Im beginning to wonder now lol

You are dealing with a lot all at once. Definitely not a baby. Pain, gas, lack of sleep and the horrid Protein Drinks. Your hormones are on red alert too. I could have cried every day. I personally didn't have Protein drinks, just milk with extra dried milk powder in. Just be kind to yourself, rest, relax and let healing begin. The first week is the hardest. I hope you can forgive yourself a little weakness. No body else needs to know, just us honest.

1 hour ago, Crisscat said:

Had my surgery Tues came home yesterday evening. Im super sore which is to be expected, I can only cat nap. Most sleep I have gotten straight is 3 hours. I cannot get into my bed so Im in a recliner. My legs are massively swelling. Ive been making myself get up and walk laps in my house. Most everything I drink that has Protein in it I gag and about throw up. Im wondering if Im just being a big baby? I always thought I had a high tolerance of pain but Im beginning to wonder now lol

No you're not being a baby. You just had major surgery and everyone reacts differently. I am concerned about your legs swelling tho. I'd reach out to my team and let them know what's going on. They need to triage you asap due to the increased risk of blood clots and other reasons that could cause your legs to swell.

1 minute ago, BypassingMyPhatAss♡ said:

No you're not being a baby. You just had major surgery and everyone reacts differently. I am concerned about your legs swelling tho. I'd reach out to my team and let them know what's going on. They need to triage you asap due to the increased risk of blood clots and other reasons that could cause your legs to swell.

I have put my compression leggings back on and I have a calf/leg massager running on them right now to see if that elevates the swelling. If not Ill be calling first thing tomorrow morning

8 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

I have put my compression leggings back on and I have a calf/leg massager running on them right now to see if that elevates the swelling. If not Ill be calling first thing tomorrow morning

Good idea. Just be aware of the symptoms of blood clots and call paramedics if you get those.

Happy healing! 🤗

Of course you're not being a baby!!! We just had major surgery!!! We're entitled to handle that however we need to. I'm concerned about your legs swelling, though. That's not supposed to happen. But the rest of it? I feel you there. I have to switch between gatorade zero and Protein drinks because I can't do non stop protein. It's just....no. I'm also dealing with pain from the incisions (they REALLY hurt, along with the muscles there) and the lingering gas pain. I feel like I shouldn't complain at all since I was so excited. But again, we had major surgery, and once we get through the worst of it (I'm hearing the first week is the worst) we should be ok.

You got this! b***h away! There has been a DRASTIC change and trauma to your body. Everyone reacts differently and recovers differently. Do what you need to do but call the doctor about that leg swelling.

Absolutely not. I feel like this idea of a higher tolerance for pain isn’t real anyways. Some people have more trauma to their bodies and so they have more pain than others. We all had the same surgery but all of our anatomy is slightly different so for some the surgery is easier for them to do than others. I think I got lucky on this one because i have a long torso which seems like it must’ve given them more room than they are used to to do their work. Most people are feeling at least a little better after a week or so but some take a little longer. However long it takes is okay. Be kind to yourself and you will be back to normal before you know it.

12 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

There has been a DRASTIC change and trauma to your body. Everyone reacts differently and recovers differently. Do what you need to do but call the doctor about that leg swelling.

It was weird the leg swelling was just yesterday. From the knee down my legs looked two times bigger than what they were! I put my compression leggings on and used a calf/lower leg massager on them. Then after a restless sleep in the recliner I thought ok I need to get in to my own bed and suffer through any pain and maybe the swelling will go down. Luckily it did. Normal size today and not swollen....yay!

For the most part the gases dissipated by the evening of day 2 thank goodness. Now I just have the normal stinging pain of moving around but its much better today thats for sure.

The only problem I am currently experiencing is feeling bloated or full. I doubt Im getting enough fluids in but today its been a real challenge for me. The Protein Shakes are hard for me to stomach now I can barely get through a fairlife in 4 hours. No BM yet so that may be my problem.

Hoping tomorrow goes better for me!

1 minute ago, Crisscat said:

It was weird the leg swelling was just yesterday. From the knee down my legs looked two times bigger than what they were! I put my compression leggings on and used a calf/lower leg massager on them. Then after a restless sleep in the recliner I thought ok I need to get in to my own bed and suffer through any pain and maybe the swelling will go down. Luckily it did. Normal size today and not swollen....yay!

For the most part the gases dissipated by the evening of day 2 thank goodness. Now I just have the normal stinging pain of moving around but its much better today thats for sure.

The only problem I am currently experiencing is feeling bloated or full. I doubt Im getting enough fluids in but today its been a real challenge for me. The Protein Shakes are hard for me to stomach now I can barely get through a fairlife in 4 hours. No BM yet so that may be my problem.

If the shakes are too thick you can dilute them with milk or Water.

My shake was too thick, so I added a little 1% milk to it and it was perfect. Maybe try that. And I'm really glad you're legs aren't swollen anymore.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:38 PM, Crisscat said:

I am glad you are starting to feel better.