Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I am 7 weeks in after gastric sleeve- Till the week I started eating solid food at 5 weeks I was losing between 0.5 to 1 pound a day

Then it started getting lower till it stalled 10 days ago and I actually gained 2 pounds over the last 10 days - I had taken Water pills a couple of times as I noticed swelling around my ankles so I am not sure if the gain back is a result of that

My calories intake are between 900 and 1100- Carbs are low- I do more Proteins as needed- drink water sometimes 64 ounce sometimes 60 ounces- I workout 3 times/ week now I walk every day

I also do intermittent fast 13/11 everyday

I am getting very frustrated almost regretting the decision of the surgery as I historically lost more weight on diets the problem was that I always regained the weight

I lost 35 pounds since I started and 28 pounds since the day of the surgery

Any thoughts? Thank you

9 minutes ago, SAndrade said:

Hi

I am 7 weeks in after gastric sleeve- Till the week I started eating solid food at 5 weeks I was losing between 0.5 to 1 pound a day

Then it started getting lower till it stalled 10 days ago and I actually gained 2 pounds over the last 10 days - I had taken Water pills a couple of times as I noticed swelling around my ankles so I am not sure if the gain back is a result of that

My calories intake are between 900 and 1100- Carbs are low- I do more Proteins as needed- drink Water sometimes 64 ounce sometimes 60 ounces- I workout 3 times/ week now I walk every day

I also do intermittent fast 13/11 everyday

I am getting very frustrated almost regretting the decision of the surgery as I historically lost more weight on diets the problem was that I always regained the weight

I lost 35 pounds since I started and 28 pounds since the day of the surgery

Any thoughts? Thank you

You've lost 28 lbs in 7 weeks!!! That's FOUR POUNDS A WEEK! That's huge. You only lose super quickly at the very beginning because of water weight. After that its slows down, and you will have some stalls; that's normal and unavoidable. You did not really gain weight - your weight can go up a pound or two due to water weight, Constipation, salty food, etc.

The latest research on intermittent fasting is that it doesn't work, so you might read up on that - a brand new, well done study just came out.

Hang in there... try to have realistic expectations!

3 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

You've lost 28 lbs in 7 weeks!!! That's FOUR POUNDS A WEEK! That's huge. You only lose super quickly at the very beginning because of Water weight. After that its slows down, and you will have some stalls; that's normal and unavoidable. You did not really gain weight - your weight can go up a pound or two due to water weight, constipation, salty food, etc.

The latest research on intermittent fasting is that it doesn't work, so you might read up on that - a brand new, well done study just came out.

Hang in there... try to have realistic expectations!

Thank you so much for your reply I wasn't made aware that the stall might remain that long or that it even exist

What is realistic expectations? I am sure this will help to know

Again thank you

Just now, SAndrade said:

Thank you so much for your reply I wasn't made aware that the stall might remain that long or that it even exist

What is realistic expectations? I am sure this will help to know

Again thank you

Stalls can last about a month sometimes - the closer you get to a "normal" weight, the longer the stalls get.

Many people think that they will lose 40 lbs in the first month like the people on My 600 Lb Life. Well, unless you start out weighing 600 lbs, you won't lose 40 lbs in a month.

The amount of weight you will lose in a given amount of time varies a lot, based on age, BMI, gender, how much weight you lost before surgery, etc.

I started out with a BMI of 40ish at surgery, but I had already lost 50 lbs. Since my surgery, I've lost about 4-12 lbs every month.

1 minute ago, lizonaplane said:

Stalls can last about a month sometimes - the closer you get to a "normal" weight, the longer the stalls get.

Many people think that they will lose 40 lbs in the first month like the people on My 600 Lb Life. Well, unless you start out weighing 600 lbs, you won't lose 40 lbs in a month.

The amount of weight you will lose in a given amount of time varies a lot, based on age, BMI, gender, how much weight you lost before surgery, etc.

I started out with a BMI of 40ish at surgery, but I had already lost 50 lbs. Since my surgery, I've lost about 4-12 lbs every month.

Thank you I so much appreciate you and your help

Cheers

In the past on diets, I always lost well when I was eating within an hour of waking up and then every 3 hours after. I never ate more than about 100-120 calories for all but one of those times which would be a bigger serving of Protein and vegetables and was around 300 calories. Roughly 800-900 calories. I lost a lot (120 pounds) eating like that; however, I regained once I went back to eating normally.

I'm still pre-op, but my surgeon has given me the following criteria for once I return to normal foods:

Calories: 700-900
Net Carbs: 30 or Less
Protein: 70-90 grams
Water/Fluid Intake: 64-80 oz.

**Daily Goals will remain the same the first 12-18 months or until you reach your goal, then you will adjust it accordingly.

Edited by acopas

9 minutes ago, acopas said:

In the past on diets, I always lost well when I was eating within an hour of waking up and then every 3 hours after. I never ate more than about 100-120 calories for all but one of those times which would be a bigger serving of Protein and vegetables and was around 300 calories. Roughly 800-900 calories. I lost a lot (120 pounds) eating like that; however, I regained once I went back to eating normally.

I'm still pre-op, but my surgeon has given me the following criteria for once I return to normal foods:

Calories: 700-900
Net Carbs: 30 or Less
Protein: 70-90 grams
Water/Fluid Intake: 64-80 oz.

**Daily Goals will remain the same the first 12-18 months or until you reach your goal, then you will adjust it accordingly.

Surgeons vary so much! I couldn't survive on 900 calories a day at 8 months out. I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day, and about 80-120 g of carbs, 70-90g Protein, and 45-55g fat. Fluid I don't track but my pee is very light in color. I'm still losing weight well. I've discussed with the nutritionist from the surgery center and they are very happy with my progress and what I'm eating.

Hang in there. I am 3 months out and I've had one stall last a full 3 weeks and 2 others last about 1.5- 2 weeks. It stinks, but it will eventually break. My weight goes up and down by 1 or 2 pounds around these stalls too. Don't sweat it and just keep going. I agree about not doing intermittent fasting. I don't think you need to.

Edited by MissT25

36 minutes ago, MissT25 said:

Hang in there. I am 3 months out and I've had one stall last a full 3 weeks and 2 others last about 1.5- 2 weeks. It stinks, but it will eventually break. My weight goes up and down by 1 or 2 pounds around these stalls too. Don't sweat it and just keep going. I agree about not doing intermittent fasting. I don't think you need to.

Thank you so much I appreciate your post - giving me hope!

RE: intermittent fasting

some people swear by it, some experience little to no effect.

I sort of did 18/6 intermittent fasting without knowing it. Even before surgery I never/rarely had breakfast…my first meal/food intake was always after noon. Dunno why, was just always this way since around my university days (like 30 years ago!) . Eating in the morning tended to make me slow and sluggish in the first part of the day.

Anyway, after surgery, i still didn’t eat in the morning, but then i also stopped any food intake after 6-7 pm…this because i had one horrible experience of regurgitating my stomach contents in my sleep, and it was horrible enough for me to make sure i went to bed on a completely EMPTY stomach.

It is worth noting (maybe?) that my weight loss finally stopped (around 3-4 months into maintenance) when i started eating again past 7pm.

BUT…im not sure this was solely or directly because of eating in a time-restricted window. My thinking is indirectly, because since I allowed myself more hours in the day to eat, i was able to get in more calories overall.

There is only so much i can eat in 6 hours, due to stomach size restrictions. Extend this window by more, and i can inevitably eat more.

Soooooo, this was my long-winded way of saying achieving calorie deficit is the tried and true way to lose weight. Period. Intermittent fasting, (at least for me, and some others i know) is a way to structure your day that helps to make it a little easier you to achieve that.

Of course if one is going to eat very high calorie foods in their windows, then that would defeat the purpose.

Good Luck! ❤️

P.S. sorry this was so long.

Edited by ms.sss

7 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Soooooo, this was my long-winded way of saying achieving calorie deficit is the tried and true way to lose weight. Period. Intermittent fasting, (at least for me, and some others i know) is a way to structure your day that helps to make it a little easier you to achieve that.

Of course if one is going to eat very high calorie foods in their windows, then that would defeat the purpose.

Good Luck! ❤️

This is what the study was looking at: if you kept calories the same, did you lose more weight with intermittent fasting. To that, the answer was a resounding NO. However, as you have pointed out, if eating only during certain hours makes you eat fewer calories overall, then you will have better results than if you eat more calories overall. I found that I was even colder with intermittent fasting (I only fasted on certain days). Of course, this was presurgery. I have noticed that I tend to eat a later Breakfast or no breakfast other than very milky iced coffee, with an early lunch around 11:30. I used to stop eating by around 6, but now I need to eat a substantial snack before bed or I'll puke from my Multivitamin. Of course, I am usually in bed by 9 or ten, although with all the time zone changes, who knows what time my body thinks it is?

17 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I sort of did 18/6 intermittent fasting without knowing it. Even before surgery I never/rarely had breakfast…my first meal/food intake was always after noon. Dunno why, was just always this way since around my university days (like 30 years ago!) . Eating in the morning tended to make me slow and sluggish in the first part of the day.

Anyway, after surgery, i still didn’t eat in the morning, but then i also stopped any food intake after 6-7 pm…this because i had one horrible experience of regurgitating my stomach contents in my sleep, and it was horrible enough for me to make sure i went to bed on a completely EMPTY stomach.

It is worth noting (maybe?) that my weight loss finally stopped (around 3-4 months into maintenance) when i started eating again past 7pm.

BUT…im not sure this was solely or directly because of eating in a time-restricted window. My thinking is indirectly, because since I allowed myself more hours in the day to eat, i was able to get in more calories overall.

There is only so much i can eat in 6 hours, due to stomach size restrictions. Extend this window by more, and i can inevitably eat more.

Good Luck! ❤️

Thank you for your input