Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I had surgery on 21-March. I was on my treadmill 3 days later, walking slowly but am back up to jogging or walking fast depending on daily motivation. I was cleared on Monday to start lifting weights (light <25lbs for the next two weeks and then I can increase) again, which I started, also on Monday. I feel great, but oh boy am I hungry - which I was expecting. I'm eating about 950 calories a day, but I'd be lying if I said my stomach isn't growling at days end and when I wake up. I eat 6 small meals a day, Protein is around 80g/day and I drink about 100-110 oz of Water daily. I am seriously scared to bump my calories to support the weight training. Has anyone begun weight training early on with their cardio? If so, how did you combat the hunger? My nutritionist said to increase my calories by 200 and I want to but I'm seriously so nervous I'm going to stall. I'm down 30ish pounds and have another 50 to go...

Hi, I've started weight training (I'm not doing cardio other than normal daily activities). I find that my hunger in the evenings after working out is more than on nights I don't workout but not too much so. I have been drinking a Protein Shake on my way home from the gym or right when I get home. I then try to eat something light but filling - like veggies or a salad or even a cup or 2 of Jello. The real secret is that I keep drinking my crystal light over ice until I go to bed as a way to keep my tummy full but my calories now. I'm also taking rest days about every other day or so - a few times I worked out multiple days in a row and I have found that just wipes me out.

If you're only eating 950 calories but you're lifting weights and doing treadmill, it's likely you need to eat more. Or, make sure the food you are eating during the day is high quality and likely to keep you full - Protein, Fiber, and fat. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, though the rate varies and there are always stalls, no matter how few calories you eat... and if you eat too few calories, you may slow down your weight loss.

The other thing to consider is drinking things like coffee/tea that have caffeine which can reduce hunger. Or milk, which can help you feel full.

Raw non-starchy veggies could be a good option when you just want to munch on something.

Thank you for the information. I haven't incorporated caffeine back in to my diet yet. I will try that first and then up my calories if I'm still rumbling like the sky before rain. I'm for sure in a stall, which was an issue pre-surgery, and it's hard to break the mindset of disappointment. I know it will start up again but as with most things these days, I want it now. LOL... I love veggies but am still on soft food so I'm eating steamed as Snacks, mostly broccoli since I love it. I am ready for some berries but was told because they had seeds I had to hold off. Do either of you have other ideas for fruits, that are low glycemic and good during soft food stage?

19 minutes ago, Mudh8r said:

Thank you for the information. I haven't incorporated caffeine back in to my diet yet. I will try that first and then up my calories if I'm still rumbling like the sky before rain. I'm for sure in a stall, which was an issue pre-surgery, and it's hard to break the mindset of disappointment. I know it will start up again but as with most things these days, I want it now. LOL... I love veggies but am still on soft food so I'm eating steamed as Snacks, mostly broccoli since I love it. I am ready for some berries but was told because they had seeds I had to hold off. Do either of you have other ideas for fruits, that are low glycemic and good during soft food stage?

I wasn't told to avoid berries after surgery, and I was eating raw veggies about 4 weeks out, but you could probably have canned pears in fruit juice if you drain the juice? I don't worry about the glycemic index. I just try to eat lower carbs and minimize added sugar. No one got fat from fruit! But... your surgeon may have more strict rules, so maybe ask your program's nutritionist?