Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

3 days post op, getting more sips and steps in! Only took pain killers twice only for my headache, tummy feels like I did too many sit ups 😂

no one mentioned the painful grumbling of the tummy or the burping with every sip!

20 minutes ago, callnutt said:

3 days post op, getting more sips and steps in! Only took pain killers twice only for my headache, tummy feels like I did too many sit ups 😂

no one mentioned the painful grumbling of the tummy or the burping with every sip!

SAME! Definitely not as bad as a C-Section was, but that sitting up from bed is a real pain in the butt. I haven't taken pain meds since I have been home. So I am moving very slow today.

got my VSG August 16th here in Brazil. stayed a night at the hospital then on the day after i was sent home. things are going fairly well and smoothly, it really feels like it's getting better every day!

im not felling anything even resembling hunger in any way. but im still dependent on pain medication, the incisions are well regenerated but they hurt!

37 minutes ago, callnutt said:

The grumbling and burping are worst in the first few days, and then they get a lot better.

Is anyone else having a hard time getting enough Protein and just with the liquid diet in general?

I can't stomach any of the Protein Drinks or puddings, so I'm using the tasteless whey Protein Powder, but even with that I'm not close to meeting my protein goals.

Also, is it normal to have diarrhea every day? I don't have any gas pain or discomfort, so I don't know if I should be worried or not.

On 08/19/2022 at 16:51, Sunnyer said:

Is anyone else having a hard time getting enough Protein and just with the liquid diet in general?

I can't stomach any of the Protein Drinks or puddings, so I'm using the tasteless whey Protein Powder, but even with that I'm not close to meeting my Protein goals.

Also, is it normal to have diarrhea every day? I don't have any gas pain or discomfort, so I don't know if I should be worried or not.

I don’t have answer to your question, but I’m interested in the answer the the diarrhea.

I’m the opposite. I haven’t had even a loose bowel movement since like day 6 of the pre-op diet. Passing plenty of gas but no “movement”. I’m assuming it’s because of the liquid diet - but I’m interested in others experience.

I can't stomach any of the protein drinks or puddings, so I'm using the tasteless whey protein powder, but even with that I'm not close to meeting my protein goals.

Sorry is this is TMI, but yes, I had diarrhea starting post op day 3 until post op day 7. I added some benefiber in my shakes and it went away. I was expecting the opposite problem.

I had my first post-op appointment today. My doc says I'm progessing nicely and to keep aiming for my Water and Protein goals.

The only negative is that they determined that I'm allergic to the suture tape so they removed it all today and my incisions are not healed up yet. I'm going to keep applying EltaMD silvergel and gauze until they're 100%

5 minutes ago, heartofmercury said:

Sorry is this is TMI, but yes, I had diarrhea starting post op day 3 until post op day 7. I added some benefiber in my shakes and it went away. I was expecting the opposite problem.

I'm on day ten after surgery, and it's been like this for six days. I find it hard to decide if what I'm drinking agrees with me or not, since everything seems to have the same effect.

What kind of shakes were you adding the benefiber to? Something you made from scratch, or ready made Protein Shakes?

19 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

I don’t have answer to your question, but I’m interested in the answer the the diarrhea.

I’m the opposite. I haven’t had even a loose bowel movement since like day 6 of the pre-op diet. Passing plenty of gas but no “movement”. I’m assuming it’s because of the liquid diet - but I’m interested in others experience.

I was in the same boat and took Dulcolax and that helped a lot. I still am taking it every few days.

On 08/19/2022 at 17:40, SHORTY_ said:

I was in the same boat and took Dulcolax and that helped a lot. I still am taking it every few days.

Thank you - I don’t feel like I need to go… I can usually tell when there a slow down and it’s time for dulcolax, but not having any solids 11 days now, I’m wondering should I even have anything solid to pass before I get to purées

2 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

I can't stomach any of the Protein Drinks or puddings, so I'm using the tasteless whey Protein Powder, but even with that I'm not close to meeting my Protein goals.

Hi! Every doctor is different, but my program for the liquid stage was (3) servings of 2 oz per day...that's it. There was absolutely no way I'd even get close to any kind of protein goal. They said for this stage to focus on fluids more than food. But in my program, shakes count as food NOT liquid. If I could drink shakes as liquid + the 3 servings, I'd maybe get closer to protein goals, but nope. For me, they are food. Protein waters count as food too.

I'm on puree now, but still nowhere near protein goals because even though I can have 4-5 servings of food each day, they are still only 2 oz portions. I haven't been able to get to 5 servings...I'm stuck on 4 per day. My body just doesn't want more and I don't want to force it.

So, I've stopped stressing so much about protein goals and focus more on Water goals right now.

I know once the portion size increases and food consistency changes, I'll be able to meet those protein goals, but it's just not going to happen for me right now.

I'm on day ten after surgery, and it's been like this for six days. I find it hard to decide if what I'm drinking agrees with me or not, since everything seems to have the same effect.

What kind of shakes were you adding the benefiber to? Something you made from scratch, or ready made Protein Shakes?
I'm drinking Fairlife shakes because they're easy and taste good.

25 minutes ago, tranquil_chaos said:

Hi! Every doctor is different, but my program for the liquid stage was (3) servings of 2 oz per day...that's it. There was absolutely no way I'd even get close to any kind of Protein goal. They said for this stage to focus on fluids more than food. But in my program, shakes count as food NOT liquid. If I could drink shakes as liquid + the 3 servings, I'd maybe get closer to protein goals, but nope. For me, they are food. Protein waters count as food too.

I'm on puree now, but still nowhere near protein goals because even though I can have 4-5 servings of food each day, they are still only 2 oz portions. I haven't been able to get to 5 servings...I'm stuck on 4 per day. My body just doesn't want more and I don't want to force it.

So, I've stopped stressing so much about protein goals and focus more on Water goals right now.

I know once the portion size increases and food consistency changes, I'll be able to meet those protein goals, but it's just not going to happen for me right now.

That sounds like a sensible approach. My drs program allows me to count half of the liquid in protein drinks as Water, but since I can't really get them down, it makes little difference.

What kind of food are you eating during the puree stage? I'm supposed to start the puree stage next week, and not really sure what to do. I'm not meeting anyone at the clinic before the puree stage starts and the written program is a bit vague about this stage.

3 minutes ago, heartofmercury said:

I'm drinking Fairlife shakes because they're easy and taste good.

I don't think we have those over here.

So far I've tried several different types of Protein Shakes, but they all taste disgusting to me. I don't like the fake chocolate, caramel or fruit taste, and I don't like the consistency either.

I started making smoothies out of greek yoghurt mixed with Water and vanilla flavoring. I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but it's not as horrible as Protein shakes, to me, and it does contain some protein.