Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

1 minute ago, I Am Enough! said:

Hi Suzi! Sorry to hear you are feeling so low. What I have found when I'm like that is I'm dehydrated. I know it sounds like a broken record, but I have truly been adding a lot of electrolytes high in potassium and it makes the world seem like a better place. I have also learned that I cannot eat first thing in the morning. In order to get in my dailies, I drink my Protein Drink warmed ( like a cuppa joe) then set a timer for every four minutes to get down 32 ounces of electrolyte Water before I can eat anything. Taking the Vitamins daily seems to help a ton too. Ar you getting any B12, B1 and D3? Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you 😊I am right there with you on eating in the morning. I drink my Protein with my coffee in the AM. I do take all my Vitamins and my B12 is first thing in the morning.

11 hours ago, AliceFD said:

I just hit my first real stall at one month post-op. I had asked my husband to hide the scale so I wouldn't obsess and only weigh weekly. Got on the scale Saturday and I hadn't lost a single ounce from the previous week. I was expecting 3-5 lbs. So discouraged.

FB_IMG_1663800886447.thumb.jpg.b6fc6c01ebb86a2bba057856cadd0365.jpg I use this chart and it helps me tremendously. Stay focused on the Protein and Water and the scale will move again :)

On 9/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, I Am Enough! said:

Hey team! I wanted to share this chart I found. It shows the natural progression of wright loss after surgery based on your starting weight. I thought I wasn't losing enough, but come to find out, I'm within the healthy range of wright loss as scheduled. Hope this helps provide a guide 😊

FB_IMG_1663800886447.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

I recently had my six week evaluation and so far I’ve lost 12 kilos or 26 pounds after surgery, so I’m pretty much on track for my starting weight.

Yes, the stalls can be very frustrating and I had one for almost three weeks in the beginning of this month. But then the number on the scale started moving again.

I still vomit sometimes, especially after dinner, no matter how careful I try to be. Happened tonight. So that’s my biggest problem, still.

Hi everyone! I had my VSG surgery on August 25th. Everything has been going pretty well so far. I have been stalled for the past 2 weeks, but hopefully the scale will move soon. So far, I am down 21 lbs since surgery.

On 9/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, SuziDavis said:

It's been wither raining like crazy here in Florida or 105 F... So being outside has been miserable. But I think I will make the effort, hopefully it helps.

I live in Key West, would've responded earlier but been a little preoccupied with Ian, but to combat the Florida miserable heat this time of year hubs and I walk every aisle of Home Depot. It's fun and funny and staff tell us we are not the only ones, lol!

On 09/28/2022 at 17:12, Violet_ said:

Hi everyone! I had my VSG surgery on August 25th. Everything has been going pretty well so far. I have been stalled for the past 2 weeks, but hopefully the scale will move soon. So far, I am down 21 lbs since surgery.

21 lbs since surgery is awesome! I also had VSG on the 25th and I’m only down 12 since surgery. That includes a random gain after I added in semi-solid food, so I am still up from my lowest. I can tell that I have been retaining Water. Not only do I see it, but I could tell with drinking and not going to the bathroom. I have been desperate for answers and what I have read is that you spend most of your first month dehydrated, even if you are getting in fluids. That a portion of the weight loss is water and that sometime during the first month your body makes an adjustment to rebalance Fluid levels, causing a stall or gain and that eventually this works itself out. I went for a big jog thinking I would help myself and the next day I was not only sore, but 3+ up on the scale lol Now I’m just trying to drink as much as I can and trying to convince myself that there is no way you can gain fat weight from an average 600 calories a day!

15 hours ago, ShelbyGeorge29 said:

I live in Key West, would've responded earlier but been a little preoccupied with Ian, but to combat the Florida miserable heat this time of year hubs and I walk every aisle of Home Depot. It's fun and funny and staff tell us we are not the only ones, lol!

That is a great idea...lol I hope you guys are ok, I know you got it much worse that we did.

My surgery date was August 30. I know that I have loss excessive weight. I’ve lost 45 pounds already. But I when I eat or drink anything I feel like I have gas. It takes at least 40 minutes to actually burp but once I drink a little Water it feels the same again. To conclude I don’t really care to eat because I hate this feeling. Can anyone identify with this???

Okay Y’all. I am 6 weeks post op. It started probably Sunday? I have been down right sick about food. I have no appetite I cant hardly eat or drink. I know im not getting my Protein in or Water intake. I wake up out of sleep at 5am gagging and will throw up bile but I cant eat anything because the thought of it makes me throw up. When I do Eat im either nauseous or I end up vomiting.

anyone know what could be happening??? Will it pass?? I am depressed over this.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:31 AM, SuziDavis said:

Welcome, that sounds scary! I would not get advise from us in your situation. I think your Dr and his staff should be guiding you.

YES THAT IS ME RIGHT NOW! I barely have eaten this week. I am so sick.

57 minutes ago, Emilyjaguar said:

Okay Y’all. I am 6 weeks post op. It started probably Sunday? I have been down right sick about food. I have no appetite I cant hardly eat or drink. I know im not getting my Protein in or Water intake. I wake up out of sleep at 5am gagging and will throw up bile but I cant eat anything because the thought of it makes me throw up. When I do Eat im either nauseous or I end up vomiting.

Hi Emily.

I had to have my oesophagus stretched a little at the entry to my stomach. I was also told to have 100-150mls at a time. But I still struggle with vomit and nausea. The dietician said to skip purée to soft foods but I’m struggling so staying on purée and liquids.
I use a Protein Powder called rule 1 (r1) first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It seems to help. My surgeon is on leave till 14 th oct. And my gp said if I can’t get fluids in and under control by next week I will be hospilized.
I am skeptic to eat/drink due to vomiting too. I have set an alarm every hour to drink or eat. Mostly drink smoothies and Soups.

I started back walking last week and this week I’m back in the gym. Like everyone else my weight loss has slowed.

13 hours ago, Jrs830 said:

My surgery date was August 30. I know that I have loss excessive weight. I’ve lost 45 pounds already. But I when I eat or drink anything I feel like I have gas. It takes at least 40 minutes to actually burp but once I drink a little Water it feels the same again. To conclude I don’t really care to eat because I hate this feeling. Can anyone identify with this???

YES! Try to eat less per bite and chew 30 times. sounds silly, but it does help.

13 hours ago, Emilyjaguar said:

I think you need to get with your Doctor in that, if you are having that issue at night, that could be some other problem.