Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

I had a meeting with my nutritionist today, She was super helpful with ideas I can start trying and encouraged me to do so. I've been kinda scared lately to eat, mostly because I don't like the way I feel after and the fear of overeating. She also confirmed what my PT doc. said yesterday and told me I was right on track where they expect to be in my weight loss.

I think I'm so scared of disappointing everyone it has just gotten to my head that I need to lose it all RIGHT NOW, haha.. This has been such a mental struggle and adjustment for me as I'm sure it is for all of you. I think each time I see my team I'm so shocked at how positive they are with this journey for me. That I just expect to be treated awful like I deserve it as a punishment for getting to where I am.

I continue to look forward to seeing all of our journies with this new tool we have 3mo, 6 mo, 1 yr + unfold.

I had a meeting with my nutritionist today, She was super helpful with ideas I can start trying and encouraged me to do so. I've been kinda scared lately to eat, mostly because I don't like the way I feel after and the fear of overeating. She also confirmed what my PT doc. said yesterday and told me I was right on track where they expect to be in my weight loss.
I think I'm so scared of disappointing everyone it has just gotten to my head that I need to lose it all RIGHT NOW, haha.. This has been such a mental struggle and adjustment for me as I'm sure it is for all of you. I think each time I see my team I'm so shocked at how positive they are with this journey for me. That I just expect to be treated awful like I deserve it as a punishment for getting to where I am.
I continue to look forward to seeing all of our journies with this new tool we have 3mo, 6 mo, 1 yr + unfold.

Thanks for sharing! I also worry what my dietician will say on my post op appointments. I hope my peeps are as encouraging as yours!

6 minutes ago, heartofmercury said:

Thanks for sharing! I also worry what my dietician will say on my post op appointments. I hope my peeps are as encouraging as yours!

2 hours ago, SHORTY_ said:

I'm 9 days post, started pureed foods yesterday. I get being scared to eat. I'm still kinda swollen so feel fatter than surgery day! But doc said that was normal. Maybe it's all the failed diets I've been on, I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to succeed, and quickly.

I had a zoom Meeting with my doctor today, I asked him about stalling already and he assured me that it happens to most people. Our systems are adjusting to the diet and trying to hold on to fuel. He actually recommended to eat a few more calories a day to kick start the weightless again. He said that a lot of times throughout the next few year, we may have to do that, especially as we all become more active.

On 08/31/2022 at 15:39, jenuinelygenuinely said:

I haven't had the time to check anything since surgery day. Everything happened so fast! I was to report for check in at 9:30 and was wheeled to the OR at 11:30. I was in recovery for 2 hours waiting for a room. The gas pains were soooooo bad! It finally went away this afternoon after passing gas...lol

My liquid diet phase 1 is 64 ounces of regular Gatorade or 50/50 diluted juice and then after is broth, Jello, popsicles. That will be my diet for 7 days.

I’ve had a crazy week after my surgery on the 29th. I’ve been struggling with gas pain and swelling; my tummy is so swollen and sore. I have huge bruising near my incision sites, too. I got really nauseated yesterday and started vomiting. I really felt terrible! So I ended up back at the surgery center to get IV fluids. I was really dehydrated. Im feeling sooo much better today! I have some meds for nausea now and lidocaine Patches for areas near my incisions that are very sore. Im still the same weight as my surgery day so I guess I should be thankful I didn’t gain due to all the swelling! Im living on Jello, Bone Broth, popsicles, and a LOT of water!!

2 hours ago, SuziDavis said:

I had a zoom Meeting with my doctor today, I asked him about stalling already and he assured me that it happens to most people. Our systems are adjusting to the diet and trying to hold on to fuel. He actually recommended to eat a few more calories a day to kick start the weightless again. He said that a lot of times throughout the next few year, we may have to do that, especially as we all become more active.

My nutritionist told me today to bump up my 600 cals to 800.

2 minutes ago, ShelbyGeorge29 said:

My nutritionist told me today to bump up my 600 cals to 800.

How far out are you from your surgery?

36 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

I’ve had a crazy week after my surgery on the 29th. I’ve been struggling with gas pain and swelling; my tummy is so swollen and sore. I have huge bruising near my incision sites, too. I got really nauseated yesterday and started vomiting. I really felt terrible! So I ended up back at the surgery center to get IV fluids. I was really dehydrated. Im feeling sooo much better today! I have some meds for nausea now and lidocaine Patches for areas near my incisions that are very sore. Im still the same weight as my surgery day so I guess I should be thankful I didn’t gain due to all the swelling! Im living on Jello, Bone Broth, popsicles, and a LOT of water!!

OMG! that sounds horrible!!! Hopefully you're feeling better. I told the OR nurses to give me the patch behind my ear for nausea. My stomach is also swollen!! and I finally took my band-aids off my incisions today. I have two big bruises from Heparin shot and a weird bruise on the left of my thigh.

I hope you feel a lot better soon. Those first couple of days were the hardest for me.

On 09/01/2022 at 17:41, jenuinelygenuinely said:

OMG! that sounds horrible!!! Hopefully you're feeling better. I told the OR nurses to give me the patch behind my ear for nausea. My stomach is also swollen!! and I finally took my band-aids off my incisions today. I have two big bruises from Heparin shot and a weird bruise on the left of my thigh.

We took every precaution before surgery to prevent nausea: oral medication, sublingual meds, and a scopolamine patch behind my right ear. I wasn’t nauseous at all with my VSG but I still talked to anesthesia and told them I do tend to get sick kinda easily. I was okay while I was in the hospital. I walked up and down the halls with my IV pole a couple of times and felt fine! No problems going to the ladies’ room or drinking Water. At least this time (for my RNY) I’m not having any problems swallowing. I think once I got home I just wasn’t staying on top of my Fluid intake and started getting really dehydrated. I called my surgeon’s office and they told me to go to the surgery center; they would call ahead to get me set up for IV fluids. Once I got the IVs, I felt okay! My tummy is still just sooo sore, swollen, and bruised. I think that might be from the hiatal hernia repair. The lidocaine Patches are helping tremendously. I’m even using ice packs across my tummy to help with swelling but they aren’t helping alleviate any of it. I’m doing everything they’ve told me to do but I’m still soooo sore. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this swelling improves in the next few days!

On 09/01/2022 at 19:42, heartofmercury said:

I hope you feel a lot better soon. Those first couple of days were the hardest for me.

Thank you! I’m feeling much better already! I just want my tummy to stop being soooo swollen and sore!

Thank you! I’m feeling much better already! I just want my tummy to stop being soooo swollen and sore!
I'm happy you're feeling better! I'm sending good thoughts your way for the soreness and swelling. [emoji847]